Heather shield for Vanguard

• Heather shield for Vanguard in combination with knockback/stamina drain nerf. Why not?

Oh yea buckler too.

• I vote no.

Vanguards differ from other classes so that they cannot equip any kind of shield. They are the offensive melee experts, knights are (supposed to be) defensive fighters.

• Why not add a primary weapon choice similar to the Knights flail setups or the Archers Javelin setups that allows to pick up a shield?

Something like a shorter spear that may be able to be thrown once. Think of the Heavy Javelin but a littler longer but with even less range when thrown. But the shields should be limited to this primary so Vanguards have to choose between their powerful twohanded weapons and using a shield (no Zweihänder Vanguards with shields on their back).

• @Kreittis:

I vote no.

Vanguards differ from other classes so that they cannot equip any kind of shield. They are the offensive melee experts, knights are (supposed to be) defensive fighters.

MAA are the nimble guys but they also have the options to use a shield.

We shouldn’t have a fixed description or role for each class that stops us from trying out new setups that might be more fun. More variety is way more fun.

Giving the vanguard a heather shield will not change the game drastically in a bad way. There is no point in being conservative just because you have a fixed image on how a class should look like or behave.

• Make zweihander wieldable in 1hand too.

• Let em have a shield, they want to gimp themselves then fine by me.

• No, please not. There is no reason to give shields to vanguards after the archers are nerfed

• I wouldn’t mind it. . . if they could only wear it on their backs for protection.

• as long as they could use it for secondary only i’d be for it, definitely not with the primaries hahaha. Vanguards hardly use secondaries as it is, so it would give them a reason to. Mostly i just pick a dane axe or a shortsword as vanguard but i never use the thing… so if a shield were there, maybe people would actually use secondary weapons. Kind of sucks for the vanguard that they can do nothing about arrows currently… and that they take some of the highest damage from them while being the easiest between them and knights to shoot.

• That’s a thought 50 - secondaries only. I’d be happy to put the Billhook away to approach an archer nest with shield up. I usually take smoke on archer maps because hope springs eternal that one day an archer will actually miss because of smoke. It could happen.

• I don’t really like the idea of Vanguards running around with their big weapons and a shield on their back. They should sacrifice something to get the ranged protection.

Also the Kite Shield seems to be a better option than the Heater - simply by design. Plus there are already two classes with Heater but only one with Kite.

• @Sophax:

We shouldn’t have a fixed description or role for each class that stops us from trying out new setups that might be more fun. More variety is way more fun.

Giving the vanguard a heather shield will not change the game drastically in a bad way. There is no point in being conservative just because you have a fixed image on how a class should look like or behave.

Exactly. I’d even be game for heater and kite for vanguard. Of course, he would only be able to use it with secondaries. I just wish knight could use heater and buckler with more weapons than just flail and secondaries.

Edit: For those worried, even as a knight with a tower shield on your back, you still get shot by archers a shit ton.

• Give him the heater shield. VG deaths by archers will go down across the board, if only slightly.

• While I dont think shields are for Vanguards. I’d personally love it, I main Vanguard and get arched like a dirty old bastard. That out of the way I say, why not? It’s an extra option for another class and will add some diversity on the field. Hell, I’d shield + sword the Vanguard just because he looks freaking awesome.

I think yea, losing the ‘awesome’ 2handers in exchange for a shield would be excellent. Or… remember the off-shield the Spartans got from Deadliest Warrior? (It was always on your character, even when you had a 2hander equipted?)

It was simply hand protection when your 2hander was equipted, although when you took out your secondary you could use it like a normal shield? (It would at least be unique from the other shields I suppose)

Hell, another class which can block arrows, I’m happy with that. Hell the shield was so small anyway you can aim at their belly/feet with ease!

Thoughts? Cool, lets see what happens.

• Give vanguards a tower shield option IN PLACE OF the secondary weapon. They can run up to archers but not attack with the shield. Nobody else actually has a problem with archers unless they suck. Problem solved. Send check to Bill Door, 6th plane of reality, the Black house on the left.

• @BillDoor:

Give vanguards a tower shield option IN PLACE OF the secondary weapon. They can run up to archers but not attack with the shield. Nobody else actually has a problem with archers unless they suck. Problem solved. Send check to Bill Door, 6th plane of reality, the Black house on the left.

This sounds odd but surprisingly interesting

• @DokB:

Let em have a shield, they want to gimp themselves then fine by me.

Exactly, more easy kills for me.

• @BillDoor:

Nobody else actually has a problem with archers unless they suck.

What makes you think that a shield will help the Vanguard when a shield on other classes does little to nothing against clan level archers anyway?

• This post is deleted!

• @BillDoor:

Give vanguards a tower shield option IN PLACE OF the secondary weapon.

Sounds odd to me. As in: “Why is this idiot not using a smaller weapon in place of the big twohanded one on his back?”

Also you can go the other way around and pick up a big twohanded weapon with the Towershield on your back - which would reduce the Vanguards vulnerabilty to ranged weapon too much. There should be a tradeoff between picking a shield and picking one of those bigass weapons.

I would rather like to go with a (weaker) primary choice that allows shields (Kite and Heater or Kite and Buckler) - also to be used with secondaries. People suggested a Spear+Shield setup for a long time.