The New Flails

• So I’ve been playin the new flails recently and they’re awwwwwwesoooome…… when they don’t bug out.

1. Whenever I play with them, a lot of times the heater shield literally does nothing. Even the enemy I was fighting is like “Okay, idk how the fuck that went through your shield.” I have no proof of this, but I’ve been seeing it a lot, so let me know if any of you encounter this issue as well.

2. **CENTRIPETAL FORCE PLZ

This doesn’t happen nearly as often but sometimes the Flail’s lack of centripetal force can cause me to miss strikes that I should have missed and it’s pretty infuriating when it happens. If you look at the tracers of the Flails you can quite clearly see that the ball just flies all over the goddamn place and that is very unrealistic and on top of that it’s annoying as shit when it causes you to miss an attack that should’ve hit.

• In the beta, I was able to parry every normal hit my opponents threw at me, but now in live when I’m having to go against people who actually alt swing and drag and jump and ect. it seems like a lot of it goes right through the heater shield. It honestly feels harder to block now than with the buckler, but that might be because we need to re-learn and adjust to the heater.

As far as the 2., I haven’t noticed any issues, I’m able to hit people pretty easily with the flail and heavy flail.

• I’ve noticed this too. Some guy literally just overheaded straight into my shield head on, without dragging from max range….

went right through. Even he was like “wat…”

• Same here. People stabbing through my shield like it’s butter and then saying: “how did i hit you? Did you drop your shield O.o?”

• It seems the heater is no different to the buckler in terms of blocking ability. The different model just makes it more obvious.

It was only the flail buckler I had a problem with. The buckler with every other weapon was fine. Different animation for blocking probably means there’s a different collision box for it too.

I don’t understand why they removed the buckler. Would of been better to have both the buckler and the heater as an option.

But Torn banner doesn’t seem to believe in options.

• the new flail animation is kinda funny cause if you swung it like that in real life it would crack your face open, any 1 else notice this?

• @lemonater47:

It seems the heater is no different to the buckler in terms of blocking ability. The different model just makes it more obvious.

It was only the flail buckler I had a problem with. The buckler with every other weapon was fine. Different animation for blocking probably means there’s a different collision box for it too.

I don’t understand why they removed the buckler. Would of been better to have both the buckler and the heater as an option.

I disagree. Blocking with the new heater has been SIGNIFICANTLY easier to block shit… of course when it doesn’t go right through…

@WARSAW:

the new flail animation is kinda funny cause if you swung it like that in real life it would crack your face open, any 1 else notice this?

No, maybe because that wouldn’t happen?

• @Nohbdy111:

No, maybe because that wouldn’t happen?

No he is right - its because the Knight lifts his arm a little bit too slowly or keeps it up a little bit too long. This way the ball will just be pulled up and meet your face because it lacks the acceleration to fling.

Its similar to the onehanded combo parry animation which is also too slow and seems to lack the required force.

• I like the heater shield and the new animations. But I’m noticing some crippling problems for the flail knight now…

1. There is no range on that flail. Please increase the range because it’s almost impossible to beat good vanguards. I have to get RIGHT in their face to hit (only to be met with a parry of course).

2. Flail speed. It’s so slow. At least make the combo times really fast. Right now it’s moving like molasses compared to vanguard 2handers…

Bug: When sprinting as a flail knight, there is no sound played. Please fix this.

In summary: Flails need a serious buff.

• @magbastard:

molasses

Please don’t use this word. Its reserved for WARSAW.
    There seems to be a sound played for sprinting flail Knights - the MaA sound - it maybe stuck because in one beta everyone had MaA voice commands.

As for the strength: Leave it some time. We just got shield buffs (which helped the flail setups), new animations (which helped the flail setups) and there will (probably) be a collision radius decrease (which helps flail setups). Flails can already be used effectively in close quarters because you can use two arms to attack - at a significant speed difference no less.

If they were to be buffed a combo time decrease would probably me the best idea as it causes the least competition issues.

• @Evil:

Please don’t use this word. Its reserved for WARSAW.
    There seems to be a sound played for sprinting flail Knights - the MaA sound - it maybe stuck because in one beta everyone had MaA voice commands.

As for the strength: Leave it some time. We just got shield buffs (which helped the flail setups), new animations (which helped the flail setups) and there will (probably) be a collision radius decrease (which helps flail setups). Flails can already be used effectively in close quarters because you can use two arms to attack - at a significant speed difference no less.

If they were to be buffed a combo time decrease would probably me the best idea as it causes the least competition issues.

Attacks go through the heater shield. It’s really easy to put your shield out and aim reasonably well, and have attacks go through. And the range and speed of the flail are horribly slow… How can you not concede this? The range got shorter for some reason. How come the vanguards get super speed, range and damage and decent health while the flail gets only minute adjustments?

• I dunno, I find the speed and range of the normal flail completely perfect and it offers rather solid damage with it. The heavy flail definitely took some nerfs with the changes but it needed them in a sense because it totally overshadowed the normal flail. I feel like there’s more of a choice to make with it now, sacrificing some speed and range for that heavy damage or going for more versatility with the normal. I like it.

I don’t really have much issue reaching vanguards with the normal flail’s overheads, and it has really ambiguous feints still which makes it really effective since no one’s really used to reading its new animations yet. But yeah in the beta I didn’t seem to have any issue blocking people with the new heater shield, but I didn’t test it against very many players either so there are definitely times where hits go right through it.

• Yeah swings sometimes go right through the shield like it wasn’t there.

The flail is great in tight spaces. And since its windup is the same for LMB and overhead you can trick people by pretending to drag for an overhead in windup then your attack is an LMB instead. Also a great supporting weapon.

And in the black knight mode if they chop off your right arm you can still attack with your shield and block.

• mmmmm I wouldn’t say the speed and reach are all that bad on the Flails. I’ve been using them recently with a good amount of success in both duels and scrims(unless attacks go through my shield). And about fighting good vanguards with it, I’m gonna have to disagree. The regular flail’s reach really isn’t all that bad and neither is it’s speed and a double OH two shots Vanguard to he body.

• I think we were wrong when we said “flails just need heater shields is all.” While that’s technically true, they do need different block animations and polishing to reflect that it’s a heater and not a bugged buckler any more. I think it would be okay to switch the unique buckler blocking view for the flail since we don’t have to deal with “buckler vision” any more and instead return to the standard heater shield block view which is perfect.

• @lemonater47:

It seems the heater is no different to the buckler in terms of blocking ability. The different model just makes it more obvious.

Bloody hell i agree, why not just leave both shields in…
    I thought it was just me, but yes quite a few hits went straight through the heater and i’d have switched straight back to the buckler without a moments thought.
    I’m sure that they’re probably the same, but the heater shield bash seems shorter than the buckler shield bash…the heater shield bash is this impotent little push instead of the buckler slap.

I did notice the stamina benefit from this new system though.