Explain some things to me - the game mechanics

• It’s not a rage post, I’m just expressing my thoughts and asking anyone with more experience for advice and their thoughts.

1. When I get parried and countered I can’t parry the counter, but it happens that when I parry and counter I get parried back. It happens even if I use the Norse sword short range and the guy is using something slow like GS.

2. Dragging speed gain is insane even on slowest weapons. It’s broken to the point that I anticipate that a guy is going to drag, parry beforehand, he drags and still hits me BEFORE my parry is ready. It really needs some work. How do people achieve such speeds anyway ? High DPI and maximum mouse sensitivity in the game ? Macros ?

3. Animations are poor, especially when veterans execute matrixing and dragging, together with latency and the fact you can slow down as well as speed up a swing it feels like a game of randomness if you will be able to parry it or not.

4. I appreciate some people spend over 1000 h in Chiv, but I’m missing where is the skill here if the window to react to dragging ( especially overheads ) is so small and as the attack can go both ways:

• insane speed
    • slowing down the attack.
      You simply can’t react to both, you either risk and block ASSUMING the guy is going to drag for speed or you don’t and you are toast if he does.

5. Distance is not an answer, first it’s overated and second many weapons simply have short range.

6. What the damage of GS ? My MaA got killed today with one stab, it wasn’t the charge attack as the guy already attacked and was turning around.

• 1. You are parrying late or poorly. You are riposting too predictably. Apologies for the vagueness here, but you didn’t provide a clear enough description to pinpoint EXACTLY what you’re doing wrong.

2. Your post is starting to seem like a veiled whine topic, but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. There is likely nothing particularly “fast” about these guys. I play with a lower mouse sensitivity than the default and can still manage these quick accelerations. Parrying accelerated attacks is all about quick reaction and maintaining some distance to make their movements more visible. Third person might help, but I don’t know for sure as I don’t really use it.

3. This isn’t a question and you are starting to disappoint me.

4. Okay, yeah, this is a very poorly veiled whine topic. You don’t actually want to have anything answered do you? You just wanted to complain. That’s fine, I can respect that but you shouldn’t have given your topic such a misleading title.

5. Yes it is.

6. Not enough to 1-shot an MAA. What mode were you playing? It’s quite possible that an Archer shot you at the same time the GS made contact.

• You need to learn to parry better… not being able to parry a counter shows how bad you are at timing. It’s the same reason why you are struggling with drags. Sorry, but all I can say is L2P =(

• He does have a point about the animations though, they’re fairly bad and need cleaning up. I don’t want to have to parry early in order to block an attack that hits well before it looks like it is going to.

• 1-6: Sounds like your latency is bad. When above 100 but below 200 you might experience difficulties in defense while others interact with you without having issues. This way all their trick work just well while your defensive timing will be off.

• You’ll get better with time my friend, keep trying. Your understanding of drags alongside weapon timings and distances will improve, and thus your parries will start “working”.

Currently it definitely sounds like you’re not doing it right.

• I believe I met you tonight on Stonehill TO, don’t remember which side you were on tho. I recall the name, cause you were complaining about sth on the general chat ;)

Anyway, it’s all about the experience and being cool. And a decent ping (below 90-80).Do not panic, wait for the animation. Nowadays basically everyone lookdown OHs, some do it better, some worse. Many people look down during a windup or even before, so you clearly see what’s going on and have plenty of time to react (and hope it’s not a feint).

• @Blindchance:

It’s not a rage post, I’m just expressing my thoughts and asking anyone with more experience for advice and their thoughts.

1. When I get parried and countered I can’t parry the counter, but it happens that when I parry and counter I get parried back. It happens even if I use the Norse sword short range and the guy is using something slow like GS.

2. Dragging speed gain is insane even on slowest weapons. It’s broken to the point that I anticipate that a guy is going to drag, parry beforehand, he drags and still hits me BEFORE my parry is ready. It really needs some work. How do people achieve such speeds anyway ? High DPI and maximum mouse sensitivity in the game ? Macros ?

3. Animations are poor, especially when veterans execute matrixing and dragging, together with latency and the fact you can slow down as well as speed up a swing it feels like a game of randomness if you will be able to parry it or not.

4. I appreciate some people spend over 1000 h in Chiv, but I’m missing where is the skill here if the window to react to dragging ( especially overheads ) is so small and as the attack can go both ways:

• insane speed
    • slowing down the attack.
      You simply can’t react to both, you either risk and block ASSUMING the guy is going to drag for speed or you don’t and you are toast if he does.

5. Distance is not an answer, first it’s overated and second many weapons simply have short range.

6. What the damage of GS ? My MaA got killed today with one stab, it wasn’t the charge attack as the guy already attacked and was turning around.

1. You can parry the counter, you’re doing something wrong, don’t be upset, just focus. When you are raging you get worse, trust me.

2. Don’t anticipate, just look. Keep distance so you have time for looking, if the enemy drags (slows it down) run into the attack to make your parry connect. High DPI or mouse sensitivity DO NOT help, the mouse speed is capped during attacks. I actually play better with really low settings because the difference between swinging and not swinging ain’t that big. No macros either.

3. Yes, some animations are poor. Again, keep some distance to be able to see sped up attacks and when you see a slowed down attack run into it or far enough away (if you can).

4. Same as 3. And yes, this game is very skill-based, someone who spend 1000 hrs in this game will most probably kick the ass of someone who “only” spend 500 hrs, and that’s a good thing. Don’t despair, there is always bigger fish in the sea.

5. Distance can be an answer.

6. Spreadsheet of all weapons here. Greatsword can only one-shot maa with a charge attack to the head. So you probably got hit by an arrow or someone else at the same time.

Welcome ;)

Edit:

Youtube Videos help too.
    HEXEN
    KyWild
    Shara
    Fürst von Butz (best player worldwide)

• Thanks anyone for the answers. I think it’s time to relearn some things.

One more thing. I know you can transition from attack to another through combo, but as far I know you can’t transition in the same direction attack again. For example you can swing from right to left, but you can’t combo into right to left attack again just after that. Yet I see from time to time more experience players doing just that.

How does it work ?

• Are you sure about what you’re seeing? I might be ignorant to some kind of technique, but as far as I know this isn’t possible. You must go into recovery if you want to repeat the attack. The only time I’ve seen someone “combo” the same attack over and over was a hacker who was able to skip recovery.

• Or maybe they use a combo feint.

• Wouldn’t that be slower than just going into recovery? Especially with the increased feint time?

• They start the left-right swing, combo into another attack, cancel the combo (feint), start a left-right swing. Can be very confusing and hard to read.

• @fvonb:

They start the left-right swing, combo into another attack, cancel the combo (feint), start a left-right swing. Can be very confusing and hard to read.

That makes sense, thanks.

• @fvonb:

They start the left-right swing, combo into another attack, cancel the combo (feint), start a left-right swing. Can be very confusing and hard to read.

Yeah, they recently nerfed this though because combo feints now have a delay.

• @fvonb:

It’s called Sophax’s slash.

• @Blindchance:

Thanks anyone for the answers. I think it’s time to relearn some things.

One more thing. I know you can transition from attack to another through combo, but as far I know you can’t transition in the same direction attack again. For example you can swing from right to left, but you can’t combo into right to left attack again just after that. Yet I see from time to time more experience players doing just that.

How does it work ?

Attack right to left (LMB), start combo(any attack mid-swing), feint to cancel as soon as the combo starts (Q), attack right to left again (LMB).

That’s the only thing I can think of that you’re seeing. I do this sometimes with my overheads so they come from the same side twice.

EDIT: Wow, either i got ninja’d hard or i didn’t realise this had two pages when i replied :P

• If you bend backwards while crouching you get “further away” from the people, which is why most veterans always do that when they parry, it gives you a bit more time to read if it’s a feint or a drag, you also see a bit more because the person isn’t right in your face.