How to: Host a server with custom content

• Developer

See Hosting a server with custom content on our documentation wiki for full details.

Briefly:

The easiest way to host a server with custom content is to add -sdkfileid=xxxxxx to the command line used to start the server. (xxxxxx being replaced with the ID from the item’s Workshop URL)

If you start the server with

UDK.exe aocffa-moor_p?steamsockets

to add Irilla Shore, Empire, and Black Knight Mode for instance (and just for the sake of it, starting on Shore with Black Knight Mode active), that becomes

UDK.exe AOCTO-Shore_alpha_p?steamsockets?modname=BlackKnight -sdkfileid=230012942 -sdkfileid=232823090 -sdkfileid=229405113

When the server starts, it will begin by automatically downloading or updating each file specified by the -sdkfileid switches.

• I got this to work with the Giant Slayers mod, and downloaded three maps. But there is a character limit to the Shortcut Target… So how do you add, say, 10 custom maps to a server? I’m still confused how Steam Workshop works…

• Developer

Use a batch file. You can do that by just saving a file in notepad with “.bat” as the extension instead of “.txt”. Put it in the same directory as UDK.exe; paste your shortcut target into it (starting at “UDK.exe …”). You can make a shortcut to that and drop it anywhere.

• I’m sorry if this is an obvious questions but I’m a little confused due to all the different sources I’ve been looking at about hosting chivalry servers.

Which UDK.exe are we supposed to be using for this? The one in “Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32” or the one in the chivalry_ded_server folder?

• Developer

chivalry_ded_server

You should use the other one (that is, the client files, the ones you use to actually play the game) to host a server only if you’re doing testing of things that aren’t the workshop (without auto-download).

• Global Moderator

The admin servertravel command is not working. Only changes the map but the mod does not start.

Also, the rotation maplist on PCSERVER-UDKGame.ini with mods also is not working.

e.g:

Maplist=AOCTD-StoneshillVillage_P?modname=BlackKnight

Maplist=AOCFFA-ThroneRoomXL_P?modname=giantslayers

Maplist=AOCTD-Ruins_P?modname=BlackKnight

The mods only works when I start the server with the appropriate command line for each one:

AOCFFA-moor_p?modname=giantslayers?steamsockets?maxplayers=28 -seekfreeloadingserver

But CAN’T change to other mods.
    So I need to restart the server again with the appropriate command line for stock gamestyles or another mod:

AOCTD-Moor_p?steamsockets?maxplayers=28 -seekfreeloadingserver FOR STOCK GAMESTYLES (AOCFFA,AOCLTS,AOCTO,ETC)

• in your map list don’t you need the mod names after that map for it to switch between mods when the map changes?

there is a server running 3 diff mods, each map change the mod changes so im pretty sure it is working and that’s how its done.

maybe Soup can confirm this?

• Developer

I did test it at least once, but I haven’t done anything in-depth. We noticed the server cycling between mods, so I assumed it was fine…

• Does this work for keeping Custom maps current? Do I have to add -sdkfileid=xxxxxxxx (map address) for each map I want to have uploaded to the server? Also does this only work when you restart the server that it will upload current versions of the maps from the steam workshop? This seems to be a very tedious if you want to have the majority of custom maps available on our server. But hopefully this will be faster than doing it manually through the server FTP.

• We support both methods at SimRai atm.
    Although I do think if you have a dozen of workshop URLs that the ServerDownloadList.txt method works better.
    But for just a few, the commandline parameter works quite well too.

It does only check when the server starts up.

• Ok, still struggling with getting custom maps uploaded to the server. I have tried the command line but it only takes a few maps. Tried direct upload from FTP but most of the maps fail. I have not tried either ServerDownloadList.txt as I have no idea what should be in it or where to upload it too. I tried a .BAT also but to no avail.

Ideally I would like all custom maps and mods uploaded to the server and to be able to manually load then when an admin desires. But do mods and maps have to be put into the command line and the server restated?

• So what if one just wants to add mods to his server? Simrai has it handled where you add mods in the ServerDownloadList.txt file. But the map rotation is handled through a different section. Using a mod on a map in the map rotation would look like this

Why do I need to add the “AOCTO-Shore_alpha_p?steamsockets?modname=BlackKnight” string to my ServerDownloadList.txt file when I could just add it to the map rotation already?

Couldn’t one just do “UDK.exe steamsockets? -sdkfileid=24472700 -sdkfileid=232823090 -sdkfileid=238489046 -sdkfileid=237013704 -sdkfileid=236004024 -sdkfileid=229405113” ?

Uhhhhh……

EDIT!

Okay so after like 5 hours or something of fucking around with shit It started working. The only thing is, you cant have (as far as I know) have Black Knight AND Lasersword active in a single Maplist. What’s also weird, is that even though bDontAddSdkMapsToList is set to TRUE I still get ALL custom maps in my rotation. Once I start off with LASERSWORD active on my server I cant switch to BlackKnight anymore. I need to restart the server with a new command line and just roll with BlackKnight until changed. You can’t have Lasersword, blackknight, lasersword, for instance. This is super frustrating because that means constant server resets.

• @Pilgore:

So what if one just wants to add mods to his server? Simrai has it handled where you add mods in the ServerDownloadList.txt file. But the map rotation is handled through a different section. Using a mod on a map in the map rotation would look like this

Why do I need to add the “AOCTO-Shore_alpha_p?steamsockets?modname=BlackKnight” string to my ServerDownloadList.txt file when I could just add it to the map rotation already?

Couldn’t one just do “UDK.exe steamsockets? -sdkfileid=24472700 -sdkfileid=232823090 -sdkfileid=238489046 -sdkfileid=237013704 -sdkfileid=236004024 -sdkfileid=229405113” ?

I don’t know if there’s any server with this feature implemented (or through some workaround). I tried something similar to that and it never worked.
    This would definitely be great.

• yes, its would, please some genious make the modding community a meta mod loader

• I’m having trouble getting my own server for my custom map " Malric’s forbode" on the workshop. I basically followed this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5cmcw2khnU

and then added in the “sdkfileid=xxxxxxxx” with the correct numbers in the “xxxx” but i still don’t have my map on the server list. Could someone help me please?

Here is a link to what specifically my command prompt puts out: http://pastebin.com/9jeC4bfY

• @Lementios:

I’m having trouble getting my own server for my custom map " Malric’s forbode" on the workshop. I basically followed this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5cmcw2khnU

and then added in the “sdkfileid=xxxxxxxx” with the correct numbers in the “xxxx” but i still don’t have my map on the server list. Could someone help me please?

Here is a link to what specifically my command prompt puts out: http://pastebin.com/9jeC4bfY

command prompt shows it downloading the map and later on in the list of available maps it shows this;

[0014.48] DevDlc: SDK Level Mod: AOCTO-Malric
    [0014.48] DevDlc: SDK Level Mod: AOCTO_Malric

• @Raizio:

command prompt shows it downloading the map and later on in the list of available maps it shows this;

[0014.48] DevDlc: SDK Level Mod: AOCTO-Malric
    [0014.48] DevDlc: SDK Level Mod: AOCTO_Malric

Yes, I’m not sure why it outputs " AOCTO_Malric " I don’t have that file, but I do have the first mentioned file. Is there a fix for this? Or is this even the issue? Any help is appreciated.

• @Pilgore:

So what if one just wants to add mods to his server? Simrai has it handled where you add mods in the ServerDownloadList.txt file. But the map rotation is handled through a different section. Using a mod on a map in the map rotation would look like this

Uhhhhh……

EDIT!

Okay so after like 5 hours or something of fucking around with shit It started working. The only thing is, you cant have (as far as I know) have Black Knight AND Lasersword active in a single Maplist. What’s also weird, is that even though bDontAddSdkMapsToList is set to TRUE I still get ALL custom maps in my rotation. Once I start off with LASERSWORD active on my server I cant switch to BlackKnight anymore. I need to restart the server with a new command line and just roll with BlackKnight until changed. You can’t have Lasersword, blackknight, lasersword, for instance. This is super frustrating because that means constant server resets.

I was having the same problem hosting chiv+ on my duel server, thanks for the insight!

• Global Moderator

No idea If this is helpful but the command line doesn’t need to be in the exact same order. For example for our star wars server we have it like…

AOCFFA-ValleyoftheJedi?modname=LASERSWORD -sdkfileid=233650761 -sdkfileid=283539294 -sdkfileid=284369849 -sdkfileid=238489046 -sdkfileid=237013704 -sdkfileid=236892606 -sdkfileid=284953158?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=27015 -maxplayers=64 multihome=203.217.25.156

Works fine.

The reason why we have it like that is because we use TCA. |

For some reason that’s all in a box. Copy paste mysteries.

• This post is deleted!