A few shield suggestions

• Allow attack out of block, instead of having to wait to put the shield down. This should help shield play. Of course, keep the current lock timers in play so that animation cancelling doesnt’ come back

Another possibility is to allow blocking where the shield is for the first 0.2 seconds of your windup. Would this be a possible good idea on combos as well?

Possibility to swap hands for shield. This would make sense for attacking team for 2nd objective on stoneshill and such. This would probably take awhile to implement.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Allow attack out of block, instead of having to wait to put the shield down. This should help shield play. Of course, keep the current lock timers in play so that animation cancelling doesnt’ come back

Another possibility is to allow blocking where the shield is for the first 0.2 seconds of your windup. Would this be a possible good idea on combos as well?

Possibility to swap hands for shield. This would make sense for attacking team for 2nd objective on stoneshill and such. This would probably take awhile to implement.

I think the first would help shield play a lot. Most importantly, it would be a significant boost for shield knights (shield MAA really don’t need that much help, but it can’t be helped). If this is implemented, shield stamina may need to be toned down in that case, otherwise shields might become a bit too strong.

• so basically a free feint is what you want? lol I think i’d have to disagree.

If anything i think shield weapon swings and recovery should be the same as normal. Currently they’re way faster at least the overheads, and they even seem to recover faster than just the 1 hander alone… much abuse is coming out of this as it’s been for a while.

• @50ShadesofClay:

so basically a free feint is what you want? lol I think i’d have to disagree.

If anything i think shield weapon swings and recovery should be the same as normal. Currently they’re way faster at least the overheads, and they even seem to recover faster than just the 1 hander alone… much abuse is coming out of this as it’s been for a while.

I think he meant that you should be able to attack faster after blocking with a shield.

• @SHH_:

I think he meant that you should be able to attack faster after blocking with a shield.

No, actually i meant this:

You know how you can shield bash directly from holding block? Why not attack straight from block as well, instead of having to put your shield down first for some amount of time and then attack.

• MaA would be OP with that setup, and it would basically allow the shield to counter attack which needs to remain a downside to using the shields. Or else everyone would use a shield. It woud also allow the shield to be used as a feint animation moreso than it is now, because it allows the attack to come out faster. The 1handed weapons with shields are already hitting and flinching 2 handers even with that little bit of time between the drop and attack now, so if you remove that time, it will be even faster and worse. Shields would be completely OP.

It was perhaps something i’d like to try for something like the flail though. The flail gets torn apart by any 1 handed shield setup, it simply doesn’t attack fast enough to beat the flinch. Doesn’t have the range either.

• I’m loving the recent buffs to shield stamina, it really makes shield viable again. Shield Knight is one of my favourite setups so something like this would be awesome but I worry it might make shields a little OP especially for MaA. Perhaps something like this but only if you tap parry with the shield, not if you hold it up.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Allow attack out of block, instead of having to wait to put the shield down. This should help shield play. Of course, keep the current lock timers in play so that animation cancelling doesnt’ come back

This sounds like a great idea. You should be able to strike with shield up but with limited visibility.

• okay i just read option 2 a little more clearer to myself:

I meant you would have block frames for the first 0.2 seconds of your windup, not be able to activate block yourself (if that’s what you meant by free feint).

• @NoVaLombardia:

okay i just read option 2 a little more clearer to myself:

I meant you would have block frames for the first 0.2 seconds of your windup, not be able to activate block yourself (if that’s what you meant by free feint).

So you attack while blocking? Basically, wait for an enemy to attack then time your attack to use it as a block followed by an instant hit. No thanks. Shields would never be vulnerable to kicks again.

• Why not allow shields to block during the first half of the shield drop phase, allowing them to counter attack earlier after blocking if they time the drop right? Adds more skill to shield play without it being too overbearing with the current live stats.

• I don’t think it would be too hard to have ideas exclusive for shield knights only. I’ll see how this thread plays out before making my own opinion.

• @SOC:

I don’t think it would be too hard to have ideas exclusive for shield knights only.

Not a good thing. If you pick up a shield it should work the same regardless of class unless there is some class special. But a class special should also affect the class when not picking up a shield.

One thing shields should have is a working block on shield bash (not the shield strike you got with flails or javelins). Attack out of block might also work (it is the other hand).

• I think it is a good thing and very natural for the game, because even in-game it says knights’ special ability is “Tank,” that’s supposed let them absorb far more blows with their shield than other classes. Makes sense to me that knights would have more special abilities around the shield than archers or MaAs.

• @50ShadesofClay:

MaA would be OP with that setup,….

Well all this means is that MaA is OP, but we already knew that.

I think it’d look cool if the shield could drop while the weapon is winding up, this would look synergistic, as it should be.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Yep.

Maybe

swap hands for shield

Yep

• I was always more in favor of loadout specific specials for classes.

I always thought knights should get special perks with a shield, since I’ve always envisioned shields as a common thing for knights.

Sort of like how vanguard’s get a different charge attack for swords.

Quarterstaff should keep its old 2h flinch time imo.

Daggers and javelins to have a backstab bonus instead of an archer backstab bonus.

MAA to get extra throwing knives so that firepot is not the end-all choice.

Stuff like that.

• They should absolutely undo the shield needing to be all the way up to block. But any other buff to the shield should be specific to knights. Like buffing the knights projectile resistance to the legs. I’m not sure if I’m sold on an offensive buff to shields like the ones that are being suggested though.

• @Karasu:

They should absolutely undo the shield needing to be all the way up to block. But any other buff to the shield should be specific to knights. Like buffing the knights projectile resistance to the legs. I’m not sure if I’m sold on an offensive buff to shields like the ones that are being suggested though.

Agree, or at least reduce it to only half way up before blocking.

• Yeah, the thing is that as it stands (where you have to bring the shield all the way up to block) blocking with a shield is twice as hard as parry - for reasons:
    -you want to parry block at the last moment -> is harder with a shield because you have to incorporate shield lift -> if you incorporate shield lift you become more vulnerable to feint and or the shield not coming up in time -> these factors are multiplied by the size of your opponents ping (not his sword or his skill)….