Purposeful Alt-Attacks W/Ripostes

• Says it right on the tin. A lot of times you’ll get into a stalemate because you can’t do much other than parry and riposte back at forth at the guy you’re fighting. Alt swing ripostes would add more variety to your dueling arsenal and break up the pace a little. That, and riposting to a guy on your left logically can’t be done fast enough if you can only swing to your right. More options -> more versatility.

Yes/No?

• I think it’s a good idea, I try to do it occasionally only to remember that it just comes out as a LMB swing.

• I see no reason why not… it would only add to the diversity of combat.

• 2 things I always found myself naturally doing regardless of whether it was in the game or not was CFtP and alt swing ripostes. It’s a natural combination of game mechanics and it adds depth to the game. Would love to see this at some point.

• I love this idea, whenever I fight my opponent rarely utilizes alt attacks even when they make the game so much better, i’m sure like me many of you have a mouse with extra buttons, and you probably binded them to alt attacks, the only problem is I can’t riposte with alt attacks, and when I accidentally try to do it in a fight it gets me killed. I would love to see this added, but i’ve also noticed some strangeness with the alt attacks on weapons, feels like they are more deadly than normal attacks sometimes. Ha, this is the only PC game I have where I need 6 mouse buttons in order to play comfortably.

• I think TB once said that they weren’t going to do it because they were either unable to, or it looked too weird (imagine a greatsword warping across the persons body to their offhand side then slashing, then accelerate it due to a riposte). Same goes for Norse Sword except much worse animation and faster.

• @DokB:

I think TB once said that they weren’t going to do it because they were either unable to, or it looked too weird (imagine a greatsword warping across the persons body to their offhand side then slashing, then accelerate it due to a riposte). Same goes for Norse Sword except much worse animation and faster.

Maybe that woudn’t be a problem if you trade speed for “randomness” on your riposte. I mean, the alt attack would ripost a bit slower the a normal attack riposte.

As a guy whos the main weapon is the zweihander, I like this idea. It would add much more variety in strategy and maybe it would open an oportunity for weapons that suck to be kind of decent, idk… But the animations would have to be really, really good (imagine an alt ripost with any polearm).

Sorry for my bad english guys…

• Regarding the animation issue: What if you could alt-parry with a new animation made for the move, and continuing to riposte with a usual attack button would create an alt riposte? This would likely fix any wonkyness with animations.

• This would work for twohanded swords but other twohanded weapons would require you to cross your arms - which is a really stupid pose for parry. Similar for onehanded weapons you would need either a bad pose (arm in front of your body with the weapon facing to the right) or a bad angle (basically the line of attack for your enemy).

• Well, I guess the weapon could also switch hands or orientation through video game magic. This would make the direction of the next attack really obvious though.

• Right - which is probably to main problem here. In order to have believable alt ripostes the have to be so slow or obvious that you could just parry and then alt attack without riposting.

• @Evil:

Right - which is probably to main problem here. In order to have believable alt ripostes the have to be so slow or obvious that you could just parry and then alt attack without riposting.

Yeah its true, I agree with this. Its complicated, but slowing down your momentum in a fight also can be a great advantage. Maybe it could make you less predictable.

• @Evil:

Right - which is probably to main problem here. In order to have believable alt ripostes the have to be so slow or obvious that you could just parry and then alt attack without riposting.

I’m not sure where people get the idea these would look strange.

The bug that turns certain ripostes into alt-ripostes only looks odd because the attack being chambered looks like a normal attack, but then switches to an alt attack in release. Otherwise, an alt swing riposte that’s chambered in the correct direction it’s supposed to be swinging from would definitely be readable and believable.

• @DerFürst:

I’m not sure where people get the idea these would look strange.

Just pick up a stick and try it with your own arms. It works for certain grips but not for all of them. Onehanded can work - but you better have a cross guard.

• @Evil:

Just pick up a stick and try it with your own arms. It works for certain grips but not for all of them. Onehanded can work - but you better have a cross guard.

Its not so bad with 2h stick! I mean, using the vanguard movement with 2h swords.

• As I said before, just make sure the alt riposte only changes the direction needed to block, not the timing. I’d be okay with testing that.

• @Evil:

This would work for twohanded swords but other twohanded weapons would require you to cross your arms - which is a really stupid pose for parry. Similar for onehanded weapons you would need either a bad pose (arm in front of your body with the weapon facing to the right) or a bad angle (basically the line of attack for your enemy).

Nay laddy, you could just have pole arms block with the lower haft of the weapon and then do a butt strike as the riposte.

• @Evil:

It’s not difficult with real weapons, you may need to change the way you grip a two handed axe but not necessarily. It really depends on how you’re swinging it.

• @SOC:

As I said before, just make sure the alt riposte only changes the direction needed to block, not the timing. I’d be okay with testing that.

^ agree with this. Changing the direction would make the combat have more variety and be overall more fun, but if the timings are changed, I think it would push the limits of human reaction times a bit too far, especially with the faster one handers.

• The issue with this is that they still havent fixed alt-horizontal animations, so those would always be faster than normal ones.

Remember they only increased windups for alternate animations, not fixed the release animations.

But still, I would be in favor of alt ripostes.