Can maps be made to auto update to new patches

• im wondering if its possible to make it so maps can be auto updated to the most current patch.

heres where the problem lies, you run a server with stock maps and custom maps which really sets your server apart from someone elses, but

when a patch is released it breaks all the custom maps,
    so we are now reliant on the maps creator to update that map in order to continue running these custom maps.

for the love of the game, custom content and the modding community this really should be changed if its possible.

this is kinda a drag as a lot of people move on from their current work or forget or whatever or discontinue working on that map, it would be a shame for these maps to be lost when so many people were enjoying them.

can we please come up with a solution to fix this?

make them be auto updated to the current patch, or make the patches not effect custom maps or even make a program that server admins can run the map thnrough to update it or whatever I don’t care as long as people running custom servers that have spent many hours setting up let alone the time the map builders spent creating them aren’t for nothing.

this will help the whole game and the modding community very much, thanks

• Developer

We’re looking into improving things. For now, restarting the server will cause it to auto-update all of its Workshop items; doing this daily would ensure that the server is kept up-to-date.

• ty Soup,
    so does it actually put the files in the dedi directory now or to the games directory like it did before?

and
    im curious as to why a game patch would break custom maps though anyway?
    can you give a quick explanation please.

I sure hope that you guys can come up with a way around this down the road cause other wise like I said, this becomes kinda like a 2nd job for content creators to keep their stuff up to date with whatever patch you guys have released and a lot of stuff is gonna get over looked, lost or just plain forgotten.

and good content should never be treated that way lol

• With the last patch I did have to run Simarais update steam cmd but it was not that big a deal.

Yesterday evening the server filled up which was pretty awesome considering I only run custom TO maps.

• Developer

@WARSAW:

ty Soup,
    so does it actually put the files in the dedi directory now or to the games directory like it did before?

Does what do what now? If you start a server that has .cmwsdk files in its UDKGame/CookedSDK/__CMWSDKFiles directory, it will automatically check them for updates when the server starts. You can also specify -sdkfileid=… and it’ll auto-download those files.

im curious as to why a game patch would break custom maps though anyway?
    can you give a quick explanation please.

I already explained the break in Wolfslair in that other thread, wherever that is. Wolf’s Lair bypassed the GUID-generation system. It was a special case. The vast majority of maps shouldn’t ever break between patches.