Free to Play & Item/"Flare" models?

• I assume the dev’s are already very familiar with some of the ideas games like TF2 and similar have brought forth.

I am just curious what plans Chivalry may have in terms of “Flare” items, achievements, etc.

Its an interesting sales model and I am more looking just for general discussion.

No, I do not want Chivalry to go free. No, I do not want items that give stats or advantages.

I am more just thinking of adding more items to add to realism, creating unique looks for players, etc. Achievements are an easy way to add goofy content.

Considering news that TF2 has made more money as a free to play with flare items, I was curious what a new, upcoming game and its team had to say about it?

Strenghts/weaknesses?

If it matters, I have already pre-purchased beta access.

• HATS!!! :P

lol but it would be really kool if with every achievement you unlock you get something to increase your character’s individuality.

ex: you tend to kill alot of archers you get something that represents that. if you complete alot/few objectives you get something that showes that as well

• No, just no.

• @wildwulfy:

No, just no.

Care to expand sir?

• @DOAmonkey:

@wildwulfy:

No, just no.

Care to expand sir?

Some people seem to think medieval knights in a game called “Chivalry” running around wearing flaming purple afros and swinging swordfish swords wouldn’t be aesthetically fitting.

Issues with cosmetics in general aside, it requires a large, dedicated art team which Chivalry simply doesn’t have.

• @SlyGoat:

Some people seem to think medieval knights in a game called “Chivalry” running around wearing flaming purple afros and swinging swordfish swords wouldn’t be aesthetically fitting.

Yea, some people are weird like that…

• Coats of Arms would be the most appropriate model that is aesthetically fitting, but the point is redundant if there aren’t the artists available to create them.

• Coats of arms, arm badges or armbands, and unique helms and plumes on helms would all be good ways to add individualism.

King Henry II’s dragon helm:

Allowing people to create their own coat of arms would be cool, but again people would use crazy colours like pink and lime green. A safe way would be to limit everything to heraldic colours and heraldic symbols. An even safer way would be to allow only black+white crests, which then become red+black or white+blue depending on which team they join.

• Golden Helmets!

• I think all the weapons should actually have stats since some metals have different qualities like some are lighter and some are stronger.

I think if they do allow player created items like in TF2 then having in game gold would be a competitive way to buy new and more improved weapons, armor as well. I’d rather pay one up front price then pay more over time, like Guild Wars.

• OH NO PLEASE !!!

I don’t mind having a bit of customization, but ONLY a bit !
    Like having to choose from two or three helmets…
    No silly things of course, but NO ARMOR CUSTOMIZATION BEYOND HERALDY (which should come with restricted colors), no hats, no weapon customisation…

There needs to be weapon and class lisibility : when you spot someone, you should be able to say what class they play with what weapon in less than a second.

Class sustomization is often badly made, is ugly and chaotic and really adds nothing to the game.

Also… I had a heart attack reading about ingame gold system…

Seriously ? Can’t people be happy with beautiful and aesthetical class skins and textures and cool looking armor and weapons that have a realistic look and feel to them without feeling the need to screw it all for those who love it ? I don’t want ugly armor combinations, ugly golden weapons and such ruining a game, because let’s face it : without a turn off otion this will ruin the feel/theme game (much worse than what happened to TF2) for EVERYONE who hate it because of it.
    One can like to have a different looking knight with black metal everywhere, horns and a dented sword glowing red, but IN NO WAY should this be imposed on those having a different opinion on what’s looking good and what’s fitting in this universe.

You can wish to have this for you, if you think to, I seriously could not disagree with this. But I hope the devs will not suffer introducing this without a way to diable it for those (and I know there are many of them, me included) who could find this horrible, and heratbreking to have such a beautiful game being hurt by this madness of customization.

Without an option to turn off this, you actually ruins the fun. Once on the TF2 forums I even stumbelled on a guy saying that such an option will ruin the very purpose of hats and equipments, that would be to show people you are different when no one cares.

• @Jihell:

OH NO PLEASE !!!

I don’t mind having a bit of customization, but ONLY a bit !
    Like having to choose from two or three helmets…
    No silly things of course, but NO ARMOR CUSTOMIZATION BEYOND HERALDY (which should come with restricted colors), no hats, no weapon customisation…

There needs to be weapon and class lisibility : when you spot someone, you should be able to say what class they play with what weapon in less than a second.

Class sustomization is often badly made, is ugly and chaotic and really adds nothing to the game.

Also… I had a heart attack reading about ingame gold system…

Seriously ? Can’t people be happy with beautiful and aesthetical class skins and textures and cool looking armor and weapons that have a realistic look and feel to them without feeling the need to screw it all for those who love it ? I don’t want ugly armor combinations, ugly golden weapons and such ruining a game, because let’s face it : without a turn off otion this will ruin the feel/theme game (much worse than what happened to TF2) for EVERYONE who hate it because of it.
    One can like to have a different looking knight with black metal everywhere, horns and a dented sword glowing red, but IN NO WAY should this be imposed on those having a different opinion on what’s looking good and what’s fitting in this universe.

You can wish to have this for you, if you think to, I seriously could not disagree with this. But I hope the devs will not suffer introducing this without a way to diable it for those (and I know there are many of them, me included) who could find this horrible, and heratbreking to have such a beautiful game being hurt by this madness of customization.

Without an option to turn off this, you actually ruins the fun. Once on the TF2 forums I even stumbelled on a guy saying that such an option will ruin the very purpose of hats and equipments, that would be to show people you are different when no one cares.

Sorry I didn’t write my comment like I thought I had.

I meant that I oppose custom content and only thought that if they did add a purchase system then it would be only developer created items consisting of things like weapon upgrades and armor upgrades not the option to customize every single dammed armor or weapon piece.

I figured purchasing upgraded items so that you could choose additional gear at the load out menu would be appropriate if it was because you did not like the default choices. So, if you wanted a better helmet or a better sword for your class then you could buy it and equip it at the load out menu. But I meant to say that it should match the entire theme and in no way distract the other players during game play.

Plus I’m pretty sure all the soldiers in Chivalry will be of their perspective nations so like with most modern military’s around the world they will have to wear what ever particular set of garments their country issued them.

I personally don’t care about customization and would only like to see proper ranking items being added to the in game models as you increase with rank and XP.

• @SlyGoat:

@DOAmonkey:

@wildwulfy:

No, just no.

Care to expand sir?

Issues with cosmetics in general aside, it requires a large, dedicated art team which Chivalry simply doesn’t have.

Why do you have to assume its afro’s and pink hats?

Why can’t it just change the style of helmet I am using? Why can’t it just tweak the shield model?

Not large scale omg changes, but something that just adds a touch of detail. Maybe my shield always has 2 arrows in it or a chunk missing? Maybe my two hander’s blade is just slightly different? What if my king in the protect the king mode has a robe?

Its partly my fault for not describing my thoughts.

I understand the hate if its purple afro’s, etc. However, my thoughts are more this game should see what opportunities there are using a form of this model.

If it ruins balance, dont make it do anything other than appearance. If it makes it hard to detect which class you are fighting, only change certain elements. You can pick and choose what it can and cannot do based on the aspects of the game.

I was looking from the aspect of a young company which needed kickstarter to get a great game off the ground and a model thats making shitloads of money with very little work.

When you have games like TF2, D&D online, LoTR crushing their initial sales when they switch to a free to play model and making good money off the idea, its worth taking a look at it. Its not a horrid idea to look at how you could fit pieces of it to your new game.

I was curious to see what thoughts the dev’s may have had.

• TF2, DDO and LotRO all have huge teams working on them compared to Chiv, and tons of artist to create new assets.

• I’m with Slygoat. It’s not something you can just whip up and serve. It takes a lot of time, and a small indie team doesn’t have the resources to pump out tons of new content to make this kind of mechanic interesting.

• @SlyGoat:

TF2, DDO and LotRO all have huge teams working on them compared to Chiv, and tons of artist to create new assets.

Recoloring a helmet takes a huge team?

How did the weapons get there in the first place? Is there a star to wish upon?

If what you are describing is correct, there is noone to work on new content? This seems like a short lived future then.

People with the attention span of a gnat generate money. You have to cater to them. Ignore them and you are just another that dies in 6 months in terms of profits.

You are making this too hard. Use the system to make money for THIS GAME. Take what you can from it… do what you can with it.

I am not talking 45 different weapon models here.

I like this game… quite a bit. I liked it when it was just fledgline AoC. I have gotten my entire group of friends committed to buying it like I already have… you need to think of these types of things to make money and keep going.

The game has the potential to be excellent. Its already very damn good. But that doesnt keep replay value high for months upon months. You have to think of ideas to generate money to make it better.

• Put it another way…

So when a game like TF2 reports hilarious sales on flare content…

And that was far before they ever added new maps… whats more important?

Maps/modes… or flare?

Perhaps thats a more fun question for discussion.

• @DOAmonkey:

They had about two years to work on them.

Put it another way…

Maps/modes… or flare?

I’d rather the artists be dedicated to new assets for additional maps and siege engines and real weapons rather than cosmetics, personally. TF2 released tons of free content updates with additional weapons and maps and game modes before they ever had hats - and even after hats, there was a long period of time where the game was still $20 and had no in-game store. If TF2 was released F2P with the content it had on release and expected to make money with its current model and the limited amount of assets that would’ve been available for purchase that early on, do you really think it would’ve been nearly as successful?

Again, maybe if they had a bigger team. Maybe down the road they’ll make a F2P title. There’s no way Chivalry can be made F2P any time in the foreseeable future, though.

• @SlyGoat:

@DOAmonkey:

They had about two years to work on them.

Put it another way…

Maps/modes… or flare?

I’d rather the artists be dedicated to new assets for additional maps and siege engines and real weapons rather than cosmetics, personally. TF2 released tons of free content updates with additional weapons and maps and game modes before they ever had hats - and even after hats, there was a long period of time where the game was still $20 and had no in-game store. If TF2 was released F2P with the content it had on release and expected to make money with its current model and the limited amount of assets that would’ve been available for purchase that early on, do you really think it would’ve been nearly as successful?

Again, maybe if they had a bigger team. Maybe down the road they’ll make a F2P title. There’s no way Chivalry can be made F2P any time in the foreseeable future, though.

Ok. I dont disagree with your thoughts.

Goat has been around longer.

Perhaps the bigger thought is keeping the community here involved and in a big way. One of the highlighting aspects I have seen from TF2 is that they used the community heavily to dictate changes in content.

A system making sure the voice of the group is heard so to speak. Forums are great, but perhaps a way to bring it to another level?

Much of the flare content is dictated by the community. Possibly the effect is much more dictated by having a community involved that knows their voice means something…. even if its a hat. They know they mean something.

There is a close knit group here. It seems there is tons of ideas that can and do spawn. I know many are used, but perhaps a better system for showing the community whre they sit on different ideas?

• If you’re suggesting something like Steam workshop integration, that’d be awesome if it were a possibility.