So you want to try out Dota 2 eh?

• I’ve noticed a lot more people that I used to play with on chivalry playing Dota 2 lately… So I thought I’d give my input and tell you a little bit about the game so if you ever get the temptation of trying it out you know what you’re getting yourself into. This is coming from someone who in 6 months between 3 accounts, has spent over 1,000 hours actively playing Dota 2.

Dota 2 is one of if not the most frustrating and aggravating game ever created. Your teammates will cater the enemy team, not back you up, and refuse to call missings or place wards. The enemy team will always pick combos or retarded heroes that will make you want to immediately leave the game while your teammates pick 4 carrys after you randomed Phantom Assassin and tell you to buy the wards. Every other game you will get a Russian Pudge picker that feeds 3 kills mid in 5 minutes and immediately ruins all the work you’ve done last hitting every creep and harassing the enemy out of lane. You’ll rage and call “GG” early and trash talk your teammates but you’ll still keep playing in hope that the game will turn around. As things start to finally look good, you get bashed 5 times in a row by a faceless void or the Ogre Magi will get a 4x multi-cast on you 2 times in a row while the Nature’s prophet is pushing your top barracks.

But after all the rage inducing pain, you keep playing. You suffer through it for the chance of that amazing, satisfying comeback even though you’re 20,000 gold behind the enemy team. Only to have your dreams crushed when the enemy team finally kills your ancient. But you still keep playing due to the feeling you get when you get that rampage that allows you to push to victory. Even so, after the game you’ll still rage because of the common chest you get as a reward for your 60 minutes of pain and suffering. When you finally get that mythical you’ve always wanted, valve will come out with an event that lowers the price and makes it almost worthless.

It’s a drug that once hooked to, is almost impossible to break. You almost don’t even realize you’re raging and forget that you’re telling your best friend how much of a feeding ****** he is and how this lost game is because of him when you’re the one who has 1 kill and 13 deaths.

You keep playing in hope that you’ll get good enough where you’ll be able to play with Dendi or the other pros and you know that’ll most likely never happen but you keep playing in hope of it happening one day.

I would not wish this addiction on my worst enemy. But I can’t stop you, nor can I stop playing myself.

Edit: Sly I just now realized how close this is to your review on steam xD

• Dota 2 = A place for casuals to stay and not harass the PC FPS Elite Masterrace

• Baad gaem noone cerez.

Can’t wait till this Mooooba hype is over and they start making some competitive melee games.

• Gonna be a while, one day when the majority of bads get good and realize its a shit game

• I wouldn’t recommend dota 2 to anyone.

• I only play Dota 2 because there isn’t any oldschool RTS worth playing lately.

I really like playing Meepo. It feels like childs’ play compared to a real RTS tho.

• dota 2 pls

• ahem League of Legends

• @zombojoe:

I only play Dota 2 because there isn’t any oldschool RTS worth playing lately.

I really like playing Meepo. It feels like childs’ play compared to a real RTS tho.

Dude, AoE II has a thriving competitive scene on Voobly right now. I was into it a little bit a couple of months ago. You should give it a shot.

• I guess I could, its just the interface for the really old RTS games is just so dated, playing at a 1024X768 res is something I haven’t had to do since I had a CRT monitor.

Even if you fullscreen its still the same resolution so it doesn’t behave nicely with modern gaming mice.

Before Chivarly I played Starcraft 2 competitively.

• @zombojoe:

I guess I could, its just the interface for the really old RTS games is just so dated, playing at a 1024X768 res is something I haven’t had to do since I had a CRT monitor.

Even if you fullscreen its still the same resolution so it doesn’t behave nicely with modern gaming mice.

Before Chivarly I played Starcraft 2 competitively.

No man, with Voobly it sets the game to your desktop resolution, so the game will be in 1920x1080 with a bunch of updated textures and all that jazz. It’s just like AoE II HD on Steam but with 10x better multiplayer.

You can also install a bunch of custom mods, save and watch replays, watch pro’s replays, it’s great.

And AoE II is much better than SC II. Much more micro and macro management, with sooooo much strategy it’s insane. I would recommend watching ZeroEmpires on Youtube. He’s got the best competitive AoE II videos on the web.

• @zombojoe:

I only play Dota 2 because there isn’t any oldschool RTS worth playing lately.

obviously its not your traditional RTS.

• Could someone translate the original post in English? All I got was rage and teammates suck. That happens in Chiv too specially in pubs.

• Its not even an RTS really.

Be prepared to have to learn Russian, Chinese, Portuguese and Spanish to even play it.

• Translation for MOBA newbies:

Calling missing heroes = Warn other teammates that someone is missing from your lane and another lane could possibly get ganked.
    Wards = usually bought by support heroes to give vision on the map so you can see enemy position.
    Phantom assassin = one of the hardest carries in the game that is very reliant on farm to win the game.
    Carry = a type of hero that usually has passives that when comboed with damage items/attack speed items will do more damage and “Carry” the team in the late game. Usually helped early by supports who have stuns/nuke damage.
    Support = A hero that doesn’t really need to get many items. You mainly get items that heal and protect your team on these kinds of heroes.
    Ogre magi = a luck based hero that can do very high nuke damage if you get lucky.
    Faceless void bash = Luck based bashes that stun for a second and do extra damage.
    Nature’s prophet = a well know rat dota hero. (Can teleport and push multiple lanes and easily get away)
    Pudge = a hero with a skill shot that happens to be the most popular hero in the game at the moment.
    Killing ancient = killing enemy ancient wins the game for your team.
    Dendi = one of the most popular pro Dota 2 players and by some is known as a legend.
    Mythical = quite rare cosmetic item that you can get as a drop at the end of a game or buy/trade them from other players.

• PA is an assassin not a carry.

• @zombojoe:

Its not even an RTS really.

Be prepared to have to learn Russian

This, mostly.

• @SlyGoat:

PA is an assassin not a carry.

“Mortred the Phantom Assassin is a melee agility hero fitting the role of hard carry.” -http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Phantom_Assassin

• @zombojoe:

Its not even an RTS really.

Technically it is, but instead of 1 person playing, its 5 on a team. A team RTS. But I guess it’s easier to classify that into the MOBA term for some reason.