Slowing down the broadsword.

• The broadsword is an insanely good weapon and, to me, I feel showing the animations would solve a lot of problems where maa are concerned. The ease they can get around parries would be less easy if we had more time too follow the animation.

Speed, range, damage. Pick two, right?

Thoughts?

• Range and damage are okay. A very slight speed nerf would be okay (overhead windup 0.4>0.425 and slash combo 0.6>0.625 at maximum*) but nothing too drastic. We don’t need another overnerf like the Longsword or Falchion got.

With the smaller bubble other MaA weapons are seeing use and maybe the Broadsword just benefits more from the back dodge because its the longest MaA weapon with a good stab.

I would also like to see its stab knockback reduced - but thats a global thing (almost all stab knockbacks are too strong in my opinion).

*Thats actually the maximum it can afford without losing out in competition - less might be enough.

• For me the broadsword is just one of the typical weapons wherein my generic but stable 60 FPS will see a riposte-riposte coming. I heard from a lot of people that they however, no matter how good, don’t see it coming with say 30 FPS.

• I have no problem with the speed actually, it feels just right. My biggest issue is with the range. It may or may not be intended, but the Broadsword/Norse have incredibly deceptive range. In my opinion, the tracers/animation/run speed with these two weapons need to be looked at more closely.

There are times when I know I shouldn’t have hit someone, and yet the poke magically was in range. Pretty much all of my good buddies who main Broad MAA also attest to the fact that the range is a bit odd at times.

• Never have a problem with it’s speed but it does seem to have an extra half foot long hitbox from what the model suggests. Swings and stabs always hit further than the model shows. Ripostes are not too bad on it (especially compared to norse, broad, or any dagger). Getting around parries is easy with any weapon if you are in 1 hand range. Just face hug, move to the right, and stab around the player you are fighting. If your are using one of the few weapons that are on your left side, do the exact same thing to your left.

• Its the tip - you don’t expect to take the full damage when it barely scratches you.

• @Evil:

Its the tip - you don’t expect to take the full damage when it barely scratches you.

It’s more than that. The range is just incredibly deceptive. The tip seems to extend a bit farther than the actual model because of animations/tracers/MAA run speed, who knows, but many, many people I’ve talked to also seem to feel this way.

• @Evil:

Its the tip - you don’t expect to take the full damage when it barely scratches you.

No, I don’t expect it to do damage when it’s clearly not hitting you. But it does. This is visible on the attacking end and the receiving.

• Lets not nerf another medicore weapon into shit tier

• I’ve always wanted to see the broadsword have slower combos but slightly better damage, to help set it apart from the Norse more. I’ve always felt like the broad is a giant dagger instead of a well rounded weapon, but in context it’s well rounded compared to the Norse and falchion, but still a little too fast to be truly well rounded. I feel like the Norse should be the go to for speed, the falchion for damage and the broad for reach/well rounded versatility.

• I think the Broadsword has Greatsword-itis i.e. too fast for its length.

• @Evil:

No other weapon in the game that I know of has stabs as deceptive as the broadsword. If the tip is actually connecting at those silly ranges then no other sword in the game draws tracers right to the tip.

IMO, this is the only “problem” with the weapon.

Reason it’s so popular right now is probably because the rest of the MaA arsenal is useless for hitting people with the bubble in play. Broadsword stab is the only way to reliably land a hit.

• Broadsword is fine when used by knights, but it’s just overpowered when used by MaA, since it has enough range to back-dodge and still land a stab.

• Ive been using the maa a lot lately with the broadsword 70% of the time and, I dont think it needs slowing down. Duelling the better knights kicking around chiv these days is a nightmare, you just cant get past the parries (or cftps when they whiff a swing) full stop pretty much the entire time. Feints work for one round and then you just take a lot of hit-trades from longsword lookdown OHs and lookdown OH multi-feints, or a lot of whining.

From playing maa I cannot understand why people think the class is/was op. I used to think that but, now I see good knights as the hardest opposition by far - because you’ll just be hit traded into submission most times, or just make mistakes and waste stamina trying to avoid that from happening.

Im hardly the greatest but, class feels like a chore more than easymode sometimes. One mistake and your just dead. Back on topic - Broad is totally fine and needs no changes. MAA is fine and needs no changes (and didnt even need the most recent dumb change)

• @Nohbdy111:

I think the Broadsword has Greatsword-itis i.e. too fast for its length.

Clearly not. The Broadswords speed is about mediocre for a onehanded weapon and weapons with a longer windup are either longer or hit harder. Similar for combo times. Its mediocre with better reach and a damage weakness against Knights.

The Greatswords windup is almost top tier for twohanded weapons (only Fork, Quarterstaff and Claymore are faster) same for the combo times while its also very long and deals good damage. Its fast with better reach and a very limited damage weakness against Knights (in that it lacks the twoshot on head hit ability).

Not quite the same. The Greatsword is clearly outcompeting other weapons - the Broadsword only in combination with that stupid bubble and that stupid longass back dodge (and even then only barely).

@Triumphant:

MAA is fine and needs no changes (and didnt even need the most recent dumb change)

It needs more than this. It needs a range reduction on that back dodge. Or a further stamina cost increase but then other uses of dodge would probably suffer even more.

• @Evil:

It needs more than this. It needs a range reduction on that back dodge. Or a further stamina cost increase but then other uses of dodge would probably suffer even more.

If you reduce the range on just the back dodge without touching all the other directional dodges, the maa players will adopt using the side dodges as back dodges (turn 90 degrees and side dodge). If you touch the side dodges as well, you’ll severely gimp the man at arms ability to avoid attacks in a team fight (which can be hard to approach as a man at arms already).

Do note, I’m not a big man at arms player. I don’t even like the class that much, I find too many maa players use their dodges as a substitute for good footwork. I do not honestly know what the man at arms needs for balancing.

To the OP: I do not think that making the broadsword slower will help (assuming you mean increased wind up times), because by increasing the wind up time you also increase the feint window, making the feints more potent, and feint to parry even better so that they can avoid hit trades. This will also increase the range of the broadsword, since range in this game is a combination of movement speed, wind up time, and release time with the length of the weapon.

• Actually morningstar stab is the most reliable attack against the bubble, but as more or less Norse/broad are the only two maa weapons that deal a decent amount of damage with stabs obviously they’ll be used the most when you can’t even land overheads on people who are just turning around. The only two MAA weapons that I really see as a problem is the norse(+shield, not needed) or hatchet+shield. All you have to do is dodge and then throw a stab or an overhead and you’ll always hit, you barely ever have to block either unless the person you’re up against is somewhat good.

• @CRUSHED:

Lets not nerf another medicore weapon into shit tier

It’s the best MAA weapon, completely outclassing all others.

• @NabsterHax:

No other weapon in the game that I know of has stabs as deceptive as the broadsword. If the tip is actually connecting at those silly ranges then no other sword in the game draws tracers right to the tip.

IMO, this is the only “problem” with the weapon.

Reason it’s so popular right now is probably because the rest of the MaA arsenal is useless for hitting people with the bubble in play. Broadsword stab is the only way to reliably land a hit.

This sums it up.

HWS is also viable, but super broken.

• @Flippy:

It’s the best MAA weapon, completely outclassing all others.

Yep, but I think he meant as a knight. It hasn’t been nearly as good as it used to be since “the patch,” I remember a lot of really good broadsword knights from KVII back in the day.