Best (melee) weapons to use against each class?

• Obviously some weapons work better against some classes than others. RANGED WEAPONS DON’T COUNT. Here they are in my experience….

Best anti-archer weapon: Norse Sword. Although it’s not one of the variety of weapons that can 1-hit an archer, I find this to be the most effective against their melee-style.

Best anti-MAA weapon: Claymore. A combination of good reach, decent slash damage and blinding speed make this sword a MAA’S nightmare.

Best anti-vanguard weapon: Bearded Axe. Vanguard’s slash-resistance seems to count for nothing against this thing. It will two-shot them just as quickly as it will two-shot a MAA.

Best anti-knight weapon: Pole Hammer. Custom-built for dispatching knights, and very effective at doing so.

So, what your take?

• Anti-Knight weapon: Fork

Anti-Vanguard weapon: Quarterstaff

Anti-MAA weapon: Brandistock

Anti-Archer weapon: BRANDISTOCK

• Anti-MaA as Vanguard: Spear, but the Brandistock is OP so it might be a tie between the two
    Anti-MaA as MaA: Norse Sword
    Anti-MaA as Knight: Longsword(Messer isn’t supposed to one shot MaA) and/or Norse Sword secondary

Anti-Vanguard as Knight: Sword of War
    Anti-Vanguard as Vanguard: Claymore
    Anti-Vanguard as MaA: Morning Star

Anti-Knight as Knight: Maul
    Anti-Knight as Vanguard: Polehammer
    Anti-Knight as MaA: Flanged Mace

Anti-Archer: Don’t even try, just f10

• I don’t get why you think the SoW is ideal for killing vans. Which way are you talking about using it (2h, 1h with shield, 1h)? IMO the speed of the bearded axe is comparable but each hit hurts vans alot more.

• Bearded axe is a one-trick pony, and that’s accelerated overheads. SoW, being a sword, is a lot more versatile than any other item in the knight’s primary arsenal, with possible exception coming from the grand mace.

SoW is chosen because you can either stab the chest and overhead the skull and two-shot the Vanguard, or Stab -> Feint -> Stab the chest and still two-shot the Vanguard. The Longsword doesn’t have that same capability, and requires you to land a headshot then a body shot in order to two-shot a Vanguard. The Messer is usually discounted because the lack of range and lolflinch.

Versatility comes into play because you have three damage sources to worry from instead of the Bearded axe’s 1 1/2 damage sources. Also you have to consider the release time of a weapon. The beared axe is quick and dirty, but you can’t drag it. You can drag SoW overheads and stabs. The same goes for the grand mace, but again, lolflinch.

• For me,
    Against MAA, Archer & Van’s > SOW or Battle Axe
    Knight > Maul or Grand Mace

I like to throw Norse Sword as seconfay backup against really experienced Archer or MAA

• Anti-MAA as Vanguard: Halberd or Greatsword
    Anti-MAA as MAA: Broadsword
    Anti-MAA as Knight: Longsword (2H or 1H) or Poleaxe

Anti-Vanguard as Vanguard: Halberd or Greatsword
    Anti-Vanguard as MAA: Broadsword or Norse
    Anti-Vanguard as Knight: Sword of War, Poleaxe or Messer

Anti-Knight as Vanguard: Halberd, Greatsword or Polehammer
    Anti-Knight as MAA: Broadsword or Morning Star
    Anti-Knight as Knight: Messer, Poleaxe or Grandmace

• Anti Knight - Holy Water Sprinkler
    Anti Vanguard - Broadsword
    Anti Men at arms - Spear/Polearms or Broadsword
    Anti Archer - RPG

• @Ready:

I don’t get why you think the SoW is ideal for killing vans. Which way are you talking about using it (2h, 1h with shield, 1h)? IMO the speed of the bearded axe is comparable but each hit hurts vans alot more.

2 shot with pokes, 2 shot with stab and overhead to face, can even slash stab if either hit the head.

• It’s not so much about the weapon, it’s about your playstyle. Basically anything works as long as you feint or drag.

• Anti-MaA as Vanguard: Spear, Zwei, Halberd, Greatsword, Brandi.
    Anti-MaA as MaA: Norse, Broad.
    Anti-MaA as Knight: Norse, Broad, SoW 1h, SoW 2h, Longsword 1h.
    Anti-MaA as Archer: Sabre.

Anti-Vanguard as Knight: SoW, Pole axe, Messer
    Anti-Vanguard as Vanguard: Greatsword, Halberd.
    Anti-Vanguard as MaA: Morning Star, Dane Axe, Broad, Norse.
    Anti-Vanguard as Archer: Sabre, Shortsword if you’re not in a slope and you manage to get close enough.

Anti-Knight as Knight: Maul, Grandmace, Pole axe.
    Anti-Knight as Vanguard: Polehammer, Zwei, Greatsword, Brandi.
    Anti-Knight as MaA: Morningstar, Dane axe, Flanged mace, Broad, Norse.
    Anti-Knight as Archer: Shortsword, Cudgel.

Anti-Archer as Knight: Anything but maul and bearded.
    Anti-Archer as Vanguard: Anything but Spear and Fork
    Anti-Archer as MaA: Anything.
    Anti-Archer as Archer: Sabre, Shortsword, Thrusting dagger

• Jon is talking, shhhh

• Archer
    vs Archers - Saber:
    Highest cutting damage of all the Archer melee weapons and also the highest reach and thus the most reliable choice.
    vs Men at Arms - Saber:
    Same reasoning as above but with a greater emphasis on reach and its stab attack.
    vs Vanguards - Shortsword:
    A fast and relatively strong stabbing weapon that is quite reliable and flexible.
    vs Knights - Cudgel:
    The only way to twoshot Knights as melee Archer is with the Cudgel. It also features blunt damage a good reach and fast combo times.

Man at Arms
    vs Archers - Broadsword:
    Cutting damage, a powerfuls stab and reach - best for abusing the back dodge.
    vs Men at Arms - Broadsword:
    Good cutting attacks? Check. Good stab? Check. Good reach? Check? Also the speed is okay so the Broadsword takes the cake here.
    vs Vanguards - Broadsword?:
    Without the bubble I would vote for the Waraxe as its the most reliable weapon to twoshot them and they usually outreach you anyways. But dancing with the bubble makes the Broadsword the best choice because of its reach.
    vs Knights - Morning Star:
    It hits harder than the Broadsword and is long enough for abusing the back dodge.

Vanguard:
    vs Archers - Bardiche/Zweihänder:
    Very long reach and the ability to oneshot Archers. The Bardiche is faster but the Zweihänder has a better slash and sprint attack for this purpose.
    vs Men at Arms - Greatsword:
    Its fast, it has good reach and hits quite hard. It also twoshots them no matter what.
    vs Vanguards - Brandistock:
    Best stabbing weapon ingame. Good damage, good reach and surprisingly fast. Only outreached by the Spear that is significantly weaker.
    vs Knights - Polehammer:
    The most reliable way to twoshot a Knight as Vanguard. Also comes with a good stab and reach.
    Knights:
    vs Archers - Longsword:**
    Reach and good cuttting attacks coupled with slightly below average speed (faster than the Messer). Able to oneshot Archers is aimed right.
    vs Men at Arms - Messer?:
    It does lack the reach but then other Knight weapons have the same problem or are even worse. In damage it does beat the Longsword and its quite draggable. Its still hard against back dodging MaA.
    vs Vanguards - Poleaxe:
    Hits hard and has a good reach with a powerful stabbing attack on top of it.
    vs Knights - Grandmace:
    Fast windup and hits like a truck. Compared to the Maul it lacks the oneshot ability but is easier to manage on its own.

• You should focus on perfecting your skill with a single weapon. I’ll list the weapons that competitive players use most of the time.

Man-at-Arms: Broadsword, Norse Sword, Holy Water Sprinkler.
    Vanguard: Halberd, Brandistock, Spear, Greatsword…
    Knight: Longsword, Sword of War, Messer, Maul, Grand Mace.
    Archer: Warbow, Light Crossbow.

• @Flippy:

You should focus on perfecting your skill with a single weapon. I’ll list the weapons that competitive players use most of the time.

Man-at-Arms: Broadsword, Norse Sword, Holy Water Sprinkler.
    Vanguard: Halberd, Brandistock, Spear, Greatsword…
    Knight: Longsword, Sword of War, Messer, Maul, Grand Mace.
    Archer: Warbow, Light Crossbow.

Nuuu, it’s all ways better to become skilled with many, many weapons in competitive play. Of course you still want a main, but if the opposition’s team composition is good against/counters your main, you’re gonna need to switch weapons. For example, I main the Maul in competitive scrims, but if the enemy team composition has, say 3 Vanguards, 1 Knight, 2 MaA, and 2 archers in an 8v8 TO, my Maul isn’t gonna be too effective against only 1 Knight and especially against 3 checks. Vanguards aren’t necessarily counters to the Maul, but they’re great checks that can keep the Maul at bay and at a disadvantage in the team fight, overall being much less useful. Those 2 MaA serve as pure hard counters to the Maul as well so in this situation I would gladly go Greatsword of Halberd, being capable of using the weapons effectively, or if our team all ready has 3 Vanguards and we don’t really want another, I can go Sword of War or Longsword Knight effectively. Master one weapon, but all ways become skillful with many others as well in my opinion.

• Archer vs Archer: Short Sword - Almost as long as the other archer using a Saber, with more bang for the buck on each hit
    Archer vs MaA: Saber - Stab is great against dodges forward
    Archer vs Vanguard: Saber - Reach is king here, and the saber gives this plus a good piercing stab
    Archer vs Knight: Short Sword/Cudgel - Short Sword is a decent overall weapon, Cudgel is most damaging

MaA vs Archer: Broadsword - a general-purpose cutting weapon. When the bubble dies, the War Axe will be a contender
    MaA vs MaA: Norse Sword - Stabs are the best way to stop an MaA’s charge, and the Norse Sword has decent slashes to prevent circling and side dodges
    MaA vs Vanguard: Norse Sword - Range is always your friend against Vanguards, and it’s fast too
    MaA vs Knight: Morning Star/Holy Water Sprinkler - Stabs with the Morning Star followed by dodges are excellent.

Vanguard vs Archer: Greatsword - Good damage, good range, reasonably quick
    Vanguard vs MaA: Claymore - Incredible speed, good slash and stab, ripostes that can actually hit the little bastards
    Vanguard vs Vanguard: Claymore/Brandistock - Speed or power, can’t go wrong with either
    Vanguard vs Knight: Spear/Polehammer - Against a few Knight weapons (flail…), the spear is literally unbeatable. Overhead at the edge of your range, knock them back, repeat until they run out of stamina, get the free hit, repeat as necessary. They literally can’t catch you in an open space if you play your cards right.

Knight vs Archer: Longsword - General purpose sword, good damage, can be combined with shield
    Knight vs MaA: Sword of War/Norse Sword - Forcing hit trades with the Norse Sword is still my preferred way of dealing with MaAs, as 90% of them use bladed weapons
    Knight vs Vanguard: Poleaxe/Sword of War - Both have great stabs and passable reach
    Knight vs Knight: Grand Mace/Warhammer - The Warhammer is too short for a lot of uses, but against lumbering Knights its relatively high speed and extreme blunt damage is very effective.

• @Nohbdy111:

Nuuu, it’s all ways better to become skilled with many, many weapons in competitive play. Of course you still want a main, but if the opposition’s team composition is good against/counters your main, you’re gonna need to switch weapons. For example, I main the Maul in competitive scrims, but if the enemy team composition has, say 3 Vanguards, 1 Knight, 2 MaA, and 2 archers in an 8v8 TO, my Maul isn’t gonna be too effective against only 1 Knight and especially against 3 checks. Vanguards aren’t necessarily counters to the Maul, but they’re great checks that can keep the Maul at bay and at a disadvantage in the team fight, overall being much less useful. Those 2 MaA serve as pure hard counters to the Maul as well so in this situation I would gladly go Greatsword of Halberd, being capable of using the weapons effectively, or if our team all ready has 3 Vanguards and we don’t really want another, I can go Sword of War or Longsword Knight effectively. Master one weapon, but all ways become skillful with many others as well in my opinion.

I don’t need a lecture on why you should learn to play other weapons. You’re talking to the most indecisive prick when it comes to weapon and class choices. (I’ve mained every class and most weapons at one point or another)

Anyway, the Maul is an extremely niche weapon anyway, and is really only worth using if the enemy team is rolling 50% knights. If you’re using Broadsword, Greatsword, Halberd, or SoW/LS, you’ll never need to switch to another weapon.

• i’d still rather have a grand mace or a pole-hammer over the maul in that situation.

• You’re all making it too complicated there’s one weapon to rule them all and that’s the broadsword.
    Thread can be closed now….