[WIP] Fortification Contest Level - Cove

• **Beta v2.4 Release
    (28/7)

Cove now has Free For All, Team Deathmatch, and Last Team Standing Variants

To play simply subscribe on steam then use the console (’) and enter “open AOCTO-Cove_beta_p”

Cove is a TO map created for the Fortification Contest. It is comprised of 3 main areas and 3 objectives.

• Objective 1 - Fire the cannon and bring down the gate.
    • Objective 2 - Push the ram though the town, then use it to bring down the door.
    • Objective 3 - Sack the cathedral.

• co-opting this post to hold 1st post so I can change what it is;

–-----------------------------------------------

Current name is Cove, it may change.

3 staged TO including secondary objectives to keep the game play dynamic. I’m trying to focus on encouraging players to respond changes in the level by moving from an open field, into to a city fight, and finally some really close internal combat.

I’m also going to stress accessibility, creating bottlenecking areas while allowing secondary access for flanking.

Overall Premise
    Protect/Destroy the religious artefacts held inside the cathedral

**Stage 1
    **Objective: Load and fire the cannon.

**Description
    **The back door to the city, a small gate in a hidden cove. A force is held up in the caves readying to attack, bent on breaking down the portcullis.

The attacking force spawns in the caves and have a lot of movement choices and cover to start with, this quickly gives way to an open field with several emplacements, including two watch towers. In the middle of the battle field is a cannon, it’s crew now dead. The attackers must load and fire the cannon to pull down the portcullis and force the enemy back.

The defending force spawns above the portcullis and accesses the field of play by dropping down onto raised areas nearby. The watch towers provide excellent coverage but are at risk of being burnt or overrun. The defenders may, at any time, chose to burn their own watch towers. Obviously this is only expected if they are taken, or at risk of being taken.

**Notes:
    **What I wanted here was a take and hold objective with some form of requirement which made senses as an attacking force. I initially had a “use their own siege weapons against them” catapult but decided it was somewhat over used.

I want the majority of the fight will take place over the towers. I am playing with the idea needing more than one torch to light them.

The number of cannon shots and load time needs to be tested. So far I’m thinking two, but require a long charge time. This switches the attackers tactic from attack to defence. Obviously if the towers are destroyed, or even held it become easier.

I will play around with some anti troll kismet to avoid defending players burning down the towers when allied players are inside. (Some kind of crazy gate open/close if hostile player is within volume … or something. I have a few ideas).

The location of player spawns needs attention. Defenders need time to get into good positions to mount a defence meaning the attackers must spawn further from them. I also need to make sure the defenders need to watch more than one area, hence the 5 areas the attackers could appear from. With teamwork the attackers could easily focus their attacks, flank, and feint splitting up the defenders forces.

A possible issue is when one tower is down, the defenders are able to focus on one area. I may have to introduce something to break this tie. Not sure about that yet.

**Stage 2
    **Objective: Push the battering ram to the gate/ stop the battering ram.
    Description
    **Now inside the city the attackers plan on pushing their battering ram though the streets and bringing down the door to the dungeon.
    [Plan to come later]

**So far I’ve not drawn this up but I’m planning on a S shaped push objective with moving spawns. As the ram moves forward so will the spawns. I’d like to put some bottlenecks in around the curves, as well as a semi open area in the centre where the fight can open up a bit more.

I’m also wanting to provide lots of access around buildings, giving both the defenders and attackers the option of flanking to break bottlenecks and disrupt pushes. More to come on this objective.
    Notes:
    **The big thing here for me is forcing the defenders to move away from ranged and heavy armour to quick skirmish play, while the attackers to the opposite. I’d like to include some more Z axis dynamics too. The high falling damage does make this risky but window, overhangs, balconies, and bridges would work well for an inner city fight.
    Stage 3
    **Objective: Protect/Destroy the religious artefacts.

**Description
    **The attackers have breeched the cathedral; they must now fight though the and destroy the heathen texts.
    **[Plan to come later]

**I’ve basically done nothing on this stage so far, it’s all very fluid right now. This objective is intended to force defenders to decide where to hold. They can only effectively defend a limited number; it’s up to the defenders to decide where to hold. I will likely require the attackers to burn n-1 to avoid an end game stalemate around one small doorway or similar. It also means the defenders need to do more than rush to one room and wait.

Notes:
    More or less the above, once the plan is more concrete I’ll update this part. This really comes down to the ratio of open to close areas and bottlenecks.

Anyway, this is the current plan. One major question I have (which I did PM to Lucas) is; Are designers allowed to make modifications to first round entries during the second round and enter them again?

Obviously this would be bug fixes and more polish rather than making massive changes, I can’t see an issue with it but I just wanted to check before I set up my schedule.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Made some changes to the design(will update first post soon).

• Replaced the catapult with a fixed cannon.
    • Loading and firing the cannon is now the stage one primary objective.
    • Changed prison into cathedral.
    • Changed stage three primary objective into “Burn the Religious Icons”.
    • “Religious Icons” (books, tapestries, paintings etc) are scattered around cathedral.

Cannon will probably need to be loaded and fired twice, taking a fair amount of time to cycle. However firing it will kill anything between it and it’s target along with things near the portcullis.

Trying to distinguish this map from others. Final burn objective is intended to force defenders to decide where to hold. They can only effectively defend a limited number; it’s up to the defenders to decide where to hold. I will likely require the attackers to burn n-1 to avoid an end game stalemate around one small doorway or similar. It also means the defenders need to do more than rush to one room and wait.

Going to drop the idea of hard secondary objectives in favour of more non-objective interactive elements around the map designed to block off routes, open up others, etc. Generally keep the map dynamic. Some of these will be clear and obvious, others will be more hidden.

Still waiting on an answer to; Are designers allowed to make modifications to first round entries during the second round and enter them again?

• Developer

“**Are designers allowed to make modifications to first round entries during the second round and enter them again?”

Yes, it’s allowed and highly encouraged.

-Rasmus**

• Sounds great, I’m waiting to see it.

“I want the majority of the fight will take place over the towers. I am playing with the idea needing more than one torch to light them.”

Just to say that it’s pretty difficult to be sure that player will fight where you want them to and honestly you can’t. I don’t think it’s good idea to focus yourself on that. I think that a multiplayer map should not tells player where to fight, only gives them multiple choices and let them choose. Otherwise everything outside the Tower won’t be needed.

Keep the work !

• @Rasmus:

Yes, it’s allowed and highly encouraged.

Awesome, thanks for the update :)

@Goomba:

Just to say that it’s pretty difficult to be sure that player will fight where you want them to and honestly you can’t. I don’t think it’s good idea to focus yourself on that. I think that a multiplayer map should not tells player where to fight, only gives them multiple choices and let them choose. Otherwise everything outside the Tower won’t be needed.

I suspect my description may be lacking here. I largely agree with you; players will fight where ever they want, or more where ever the fight develops. My point was that I want to encourage gameplay to focus around the centre, and the towers. It’s an intention rather than a rule. As I develop and test the map things may change and focus may shift. In fact the swap to a cannon, which is further from the original location of the catapult actually moves the combat area towards the central gulf between the towers and the houses further back.

The point with the towers however is that since they are so advantageous the attackers are highly encouraged to deal with them. Not making their destruction an objective should maintain a high degree of replay value.

When I say encourage or force what I mean is; try to make the players think about the best option. Try to get players to evaluate the situation and act accordingly rather than rushing headlong into a fight or going for kills. I don’t want to control the players movement and options but make them consider them more deeply.

After playing a few rounds of Stonehill where it took the attackers 10 / 15 mins to sack the village I am slightly concerned that I am expecting a relatively high degree of teamwork from players. But we’ll see. It may be a rank thing.

• So in deference to the old adage, no plan survives contact with the enemy I’ve made some changes to my current plan, stage one plan currently looks more like this;

The blue areas are things to come (it’s very messy, the things that look like roundish scribbles are trees), the red is very empty right now, this worries me. Things may move around / extra defences may appear to help bolster the attackers defence against archers.

Also here’s a shot of the current tower asset. It’s currently sitting in an odd package because of this issue but it’s currently working quite well. I need to tweak the collision mesh and the ladder volumes are a bit particular but overall I’m happy with it so far.

Also note that this is a pre alpha shot, polishing the art isn’t really my focus right now.

• Wow this is actually really solid, looks great so far.

• So this is our idea so far, may change down the road, but we will have the agatha team spawn all the way to the left, pushing forward with a ram to the gate while the mason team will stop them… other objectives have been discussed, but we’re still getting our general structures down first before moving onto a later stage in development.

More updates to come =]

• I think you’ve got the wrong thread there Lementios

In any case, updates from my map.

Also say hello to my little friend.

Next thing to do is sort out the cave area, currently it’s just a cliff with no internals. Then set up the mechanics and path nodes before testing till everything breaks and building the whole thing over again because, you know, testing.

• This is looking really good so far, keep up the good work!

• Looks nice - what tool did you use to draw this?

• That’s photoshop with a wacom tablet over a screenshot from the editor.

Also no real update to show you guys today as I’ve been busy, but in theory (and no promises) I should have an alpha of stage one ready by tomorrow evening. It depend on how well the kismet works. I think I have it down however.

• Beautiful stuff man :) cant wait to play it when its finished, this contest is bringing so much HYPE!!! :D

• First alpha release

This is only stage one, and bots don’t currently work despite pathing being set up. I need to take a look at the AI hivemind stuff from another level to implement it correctly. The towers however should burn, and the cannon should fire.

Again this is an alpha, there’s a lot left to do.

Feedback is really welcome! Anyone willing to stick this on a sever please please let me know! Thanks in advance :)

Also some screenshots.

• Very nice fortifications (ha ha), looks like a true fortress.

So this is what I’ve been working on the past day or so

As you can see it’s still very dirty. Red is the ram path, green are proposed access routes and pink are rough contours; they’re mostly there to help me keep in mind the height variation at play here.

• Made some small updates to my stage one, added a route behind the top houses for archers to get purchase on that tower, also to add another path through. I’ve also added some small cliffs towards the shore. These should help flow; MA can jump down anywhere along that line, while AG must head up the ramps to cut behind the incoming MA.

I’m also playing about with an idea to keep the map a bit more fresh between games. More to come on that later.

• OK, stage 2 is more or less planned. Things will likely change a bit as I put it together but there we go.

• Looks nice

• Looks nice but it would be great if the ram objective is replaced with something similar like digging a tunnel in the underground, burning the gate, launching holy grenades or opening another entrance.