Anyone else feel like this game is done?

• I went on for the first time in several weeks, and the most people playing on a server within 200 ping were 18. I got on, got thrown into a 6 team TDM, and played 10 minutes of chaotic, LMB-spamming gameplay with Pirates shooting me in the face and Ninja throwing completely unpredictable feints. I then went onto Medieval Warfare and had a great time for an hour.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but I honestly feel like there’s no reason to play Deadliest Warrior right now, especially with how well TB is doing with updating Medieval Warfare. Until some MAJOR changes are made (read: DW plays exactly like MW with different classes, which is all I wanted in the first place), I think I’m done with it. And I don’t get the impression that I’m the only one. Thoughts?

• DW was D.O.A. Once the initial wave of hype from Total Biscuit’s review waned and people played the game for a week, people got bored very quickly with the one-dimensional gameplay.

• I agree, and it’s a shame. I’d say it’s a result of Torn Banner being a very young studio. If they’d created a game that followed the same fluid combat system as MW but with new warriors, it could have been great, maybe even surpassed the original. But instead they decided to take a huge risk and shake everything up, which, while I guess it’s admirable, turned out to be a bad, bad idea. I’d love to come on the forums someday and see them announce a total overhaul of the game, but, considering the small playerbase and huge amount of effort involved, I’m not holding my breath.

• When people call DW a lmb fest it kinda ruins all credibility in anything they say……does ANYONE remember mw when it first launched? Its called new players…they will lmb their hearts out until one day they realize that not only are there other ways to attack…but those ways are actually better. Theres so much more skill at higher play people just dont even give it the chance to try to understand any kind of tactics.

Ive gotten every class to mid 30’s-40’s so i feel like ive seen pretty much all of what it has to offer. Honestly i feel the game is better than MW if they feed it the same amount of updates.

First off, DW’s drags are 10x better and they actually make sense. If you want to slow your swing down go for it but your damage is going to suffer (logic) and the combat is faster which usually will mean more skill is involved at higher play…which it is, trust me, people just dont really have a place to play with higher level players other than pub stomping rank 5s. You think fighting a good mma is hard? Try fighting a high rank ninja or pirate who knows anything about ripostes and how to actually block properly and those are the supposed “weaker” classes. The game is easily smoother than mw was at release and dw was made in 5 months…thats really good. Every patch MW gets clunkier and clunkier…its just nowhere near the same game anymore.

The 3 things holding DW back is no TO, no team balance, and no dedicated modes. TO is a huge part of MW, its one of the main reasons people have played it for so long… the matchups in DW would be crazy in TO, they would easily beat out MW’s TO and for once it would be amazing to not have to rush to get kills to win (TDM) and watch teams hide all day to win (LTS). Without team balance in those two modes then it just becomes who has the bigger team will win…which is usually the case 70% of the time. For the dedicated modes just imagine how long you would have played MW if every server switched from TDM to LTS to FFA to FFA to LTS to FFA to TDM. I can imagine that you probably would have deleted mw long ago if that was the case. Which is why it made no sense that they decided to do that in this game…people pick a server based on the mode and players…the most frustrating thing is watching it go from LTS to ffa and watch 90% of the server leave.

I feel like the problem is MW players dont want DW to prosper because if it does than their favorite game will no longer get any attention with updates. Every single hardcore player from MW ive seen (Ranks 40ish-50) have given the game no chance. They play classes they havnt understood yet, get beat by one class over and over without trying to understand why and instantly say the games broken. If they put half the updates in DW that they did with MW, which we all know isnt that much, i could gurantee you DW would start to turn some heads over MW.

• Eno I think you make some decent points but I only agree with the paragraph about the three things holding the game back. You can say MW players never gave it a chance but I think that’s because the writting was on the wall early on. Even in beta I hated the role projectiles had in the game, it was extremely frustrating without the pay off from TO that makes me endure the sometimes overwhelming, constant pewpew on MW pubs. I bought the game day 1 to support tbs, but it never had the aspects of MW that attracted me to that game so I never saw a reason to launch it.

• @The:

I feel like the problem is MW players dont want DW to prosper because if it does than their favorite game will no longer get any attention with updates. Every single hardcore player from MW ive seen (Ranks 40ish-50) have given the game no chance. They play classes they havnt understood yet, get beat by one class over and over without trying to understand why and instantly say the games broken. If they put half the updates in DW that they did with MW, which we all know isnt that much, i could gurantee you DW would start to turn some heads over MW.

I’m sorry, but this is blatantly untrue. Medieval Warfare is my single favourite game of all time, and I welcomed Deadliest Warrior, in fact, was really excited for it. Hell, I was an early beta player, I was really convinced it was going to be the greatest game I’d ever seen. I felt absolutely no worry that MW wouldn’t get love just because there was a new game out there.

As for the rest of your post, what you’ve described is actually fairly similar to what I did, a Deadliest Warrior that plays much closer to Medieval Warfare. Believe me, I’ll come back to this game if they change it. However, there are also several points I strongly disagree with. While it’s true that new players back in early MW may have used LMB a fair amount, it’s promoted and rewarded FAR more in DW. You can see the exact same thing happen in Giant Slayers on MW: Increase the footspeed, which decreases the usefulness of straight-line attacks, which encourages LMB spamming, which dumbs down combat. Also, I really don’t feel that the coloured tracers add anything significant to the game. Decelerated swings and look-down overheads may be unrealistic, but they dramatically increase the variety of strategies available to the player. Encouraging everyone to throw LMB attacks and connect with the middle of their swing just dilutes the experience, there’s a reason most duel servers in DW are usually empty. And that’s not even getting into the issue of the Ninja and his unreadable feints…

• Same, I was excited for DW, purchased it but didn’t play for more than 10 hours. I think it was impressive that they built it in that short time span (not impressive they didnt communicate while doing it) and it seemed appealing, no doubt brought in extra cash but it just is not as refined as CMW. I don’t think even adding TO to it would get me playing it again.

• @gregcau:

Same, I was excited for DW, purchased it but didn’t play for more than 10 hours. I think it was impressive that they built it in that short time span (not impressive they didnt communicate while doing it) and it seemed appealing, no doubt brought in extra cash but it just is not as refined as CMW. I don’t think even adding TO to it would get me playing it again.

Add TO, reduce footspeeds across the board, and I’m in. Actually, just reducing the footspeeds would cause me to give it a second look.

• I completely agree. I actually have an okay time playing DW. It’s not as fun as MW, but the only thing that ruins it for me is that it’s really hard to keep players on-screen due to the movement speed.

• The speed increase and the weapon tracers is the only thing this game got going for it atm. If animations didn’t feel so damn flimsy I might play it more.

• I used spears to combo forever + drags in a few duels and then I got bored because it was too easy.

• Last time i played i got kicked for “360 striking”….and i thought getting kicked for feints was bad.

• @Damnitpatrick:

Last time i played i got kicked for “360 striking”….and i thought getting kicked for feints was bad.

That’s…huh?

• Last time I tried to play DW I got into the only 1/6 servers up and saw that it was filled with only 200+pings.

Needless to say I did a 180 and left.

• If there were more good players in DW, more game modes, more players, and a couple patches, I’d be more than happy. I’ve been defending DW for a long time (some of you may remember my rants lol), and I’ve defended it because it’s worth defending. As it’s own standalone game, it has lots of potential, it just needs some tlc. Most people consider it broken, and while it IS unbalanced to an extent, that’s no reason to discount it entirely. It has it’s own charm and fun aspects and holy shit moments, just like MW, and it could be GREAT. Sometimes it already is great.

BUT! In its current state, it can get boring pretty quick, especially when you look at how awesome MW is getting with all the patches. I’d love to see a DW overhaul, but I think it’ll have to come from the community, rather than TBS.

• the good players, and more players, arent in DW because its terrible.

It should be left to die, deservedly - and the lessons should be learned. The focus is on MW now, and its working out

• There are now only two semi-populated servers for me to join on the US east coast under 100 ping… It’s a joke.

TB fucked up big time. Instead of listening to the community and their valid criticism they went on a butthurt power trip and simply banned people for the asinine reason of “being toxic” and “not giving suggestions for fixing the problems” (that’s your fucking job – stuff you should have heeded from the terrible closed beta myself and many other on here were apart of)

• @Triumphant:

the good players, and more players, arent in DW because its terrible.

It should be left to die, deservedly - and the lessons should be learned. The focus is on MW now, and its working out

the base play is better, which is the sad part, but the sped up gameplay + the complete lack of ping regulation completley breaks it. And it seems half the freaking balance changes were made without this in mind, simply because people with shitty connections mistook their ridiculous lack of a semi-decent connection as broken game mechanics. It’s infuriating

(IE: flinches being flat out broken on anyone above 150 ping, hit trade outs, getting hit past a weapons perceived reach etc, etc… all stuff that would get you kicked instantly in MW with a ping above 200 on a decent server)

• Global Moderator

@PissedOffConsumer:

There are now only two semi-populated servers for me to join on the US east coast under 100 ping… It’s a joke.

TB fucked up big time. Instead of listening to the community and their valid criticism they went on a butthurt power trip and simply banned people for the asinine reason of “being toxic” and “not giving suggestions for fixing the problems” (that’s your fucking job – stuff you should have heeded from the terrible closed beta myself and many other on here were apart of)

I know, if you aren’t a complete arse when you are expressing your concerns maybe people will listen to you and you won’t get banned over and over again.

• The next time I want a lecture from the most despised member of the forum I’ll be sure to ask for your opinion, lemon.