Game Launcher Adware

• Today I started the Chivalry launcher and it opened a bunch of adware in Internet Explorer and Firefox. Anyone have this issue as well?

• Developer

The launcher, and the page embedded in it do not have any ads, ad ware, or any malicious anything. They also won’t open any windows of any sort unless you click on a link.

Your computer is infected with something. I’ve got no idea how to help you unfortunately, maybe someone else on the forums knows the proper protocols to follow to clean something like that up.

• If you tried to pirate the game, or download it from a 3rd party site besides Steam or Torn Banner, then it’s extremely likely that it infected your computer with a virus.

If you don’t have an anti-virus software on your computer, immediately purchase one and download it ASAP. I would recommend Avast, but just don’t get any free anti-virus. Free anti-virus software A. Doesn’t work or B. Only runs a scan, and makes you pay a high price to get the viruses removed.

• AVG free is the best free one but even then it ain’t that great. Though its the only one I’ve found that actually attempts to get rid of viruses.

Problem with the paid ones is they are very bitchy. So its either something that doesn’t work very well or something that annoys you every 2 seconds.

You could always get a mac.

• @Flippy:

If you don’t have an anti-virus software on your computer, immediately purchase one and download it ASAP. I would recommend Avast, but just don’t get any free anti-virus. Free anti-virus software A. Doesn’t work or B. Only runs a scan, and makes you pay a high price to get the viruses removed.

I hope you are joking. Even the Avast! that you recommend offers full anti-malware and malware removal functionaly without paying a cent. If some “free” anti-malware software asks you to actually pay to remove malware, it is most likely rogueware and rogueware itself is malware.

@OP, I would recommend that you run at least MBAM and see what it detects. Here is a link to guide if you need one.

After scanning you can leave it installed as a companion scanner for your active anti-malware software. Free version does not offer active protection so it does not interfere with other software.

After that get active anti-malware software if you do not have one already. Flippy recommended Avast! and that is a very good choice. It has some annoying voiced alerts on by default but you can disable those. Free version is sufficient for majority of users.

Windows Security Essentials is NOT sufficient for basic users. Do not rely on it, it only offers very basic protection these days.

@lemonater47:

AVG free is the best free one but even then it ain’t that great. Though its the only one I’ve found that actually attempts to get rid of viruses.

There is no “best” virus scanner. Kaspersky might detect something that AVG does not and avira Antivir might detect something that neither AVG or Kaspersky detects. Heck, at the moment AVG isn’t even in top 10 virus scanners.

AVG used to be recommended but as the world changes, so does the virus scanners. Don’t spread obsolete information.

• Honestly, the best way to deal with a virus is to reformat your hard drive and do a fresh Windows install. It’s a pain but it’s the only way to be sure.

• I’ve been using MSE. Honestly cannot deal with the bloatedness of other products.

• This is why you have a mac. You do all the things that you might get viruses with on that and play games on your windows machine.

• @lemonater47:

This is why you have a mac. You do all the things that you might get viruses with on that and play games on your windows machine.

A $2,000 mac has worse performance than a $500 custom PC. Desktop macs use the same gfx cards that are used in windows laptops.

• um kiddies this is not a mac thread go troll in the mac thread (actually that has not popped up in a while I guess the mac troll gave up).

OH WAIT WAS THE MAC TROLL THAT KEPT BUMPING IT LEMON???

• Surely you jest. No self-respecting fruit would use an Apple product. Unless he’s not really a fruit (and I can’t believe that).

An alternative to buying a $3000 MacPro for work would be a $399 Acer from Newegg on sale that you use for work only. And by work I mean Pogo.com