Chivalry: Timeline and Possible Ideas

• Hello im recently new into the Chivalry community but ive played AoC forever and im a above average player.

Considering the game takes place in Mideval times that means the Middle Ages. Which is between 300 and 1400. Considering a lot of the weaponry and to have the most potential in possible weapons they should have the game start around the year 1300. Most of the technology has been invented and my favorite part. The Cannon has been invented by then though rudimentary it is still powerful enough to wreak damage upon the castles and boats that existed at that time.

It would be cool to have several possibilities in maps and gameplay that can tie in with the times.

Cannon: There are a few types of cannons at the time but i will generalize them to two at the moment

Siege Cannon: Say you are in a map where the Masons are sieging an Agathian castle. Well your on the Masons team and your whole team arrives in 3 decent size ships. 2 ships go directly for the shore and the ground where they land is the new spawn point. Well one boat stays a decent way in the harbor the people on that boat can get off at anytime and head for shore and they can get on the boat at any time. Or someone can stay behind and operate the cannon. Basically its a big metal tube that takes around 30 seconds to reload and one person to operate. It sits on a spinning platform and can move up and down. Basically the one person can lob cannonballs at the castle which will cause huge damage and can tie into objectives such as destroying a gate so your team can get in. Its drawbacks are that it takes a while to reload and it is slow to aim and shoot. Its like the catapult but its more foward firing so its easier to predict shots and its more powerful with a bigger blast radius. It could be overpowered but the person using it is limited in range and easy to be picked off by archers. Another form of the cannon can be used on the Agathian side. Basically there could be one or two cannons on a tower or wall that can be destroyed. These cannons can destroy the landing ships and kill anyone foolish enough to stay in them after the spawning period. They are the same as the masons but they are just used for defense instead of offense. This cannon can be used as a stationary destructable siege weapon on certain maps and could be the rival for the catapult. Another drawback is the Engineer can repair catapults but he cannot repair cannons. So when they are destroyed its indefinite.

Hand Cannon: Since Customazation and possibly unlockable weapons are supposed to be in game this could be a possibility. Basically its a miniture cannon and an early form of the musket. It would be the last unlockable of the archer so it would take some time and skill to get. Basically its a one shot kill weapon. It has huge drawbacks though. Firstly its about a 20 second reload time and you only get a few shots. Its decently innacurate past 50 feet. But it does have incredible power and range. It has the ability to pierce through any armor and most barricades making it a one shot kill even if someone is behind a barricade. It can also kill multiple people if they are close enough. Its range is the same as most bows and crossbows. But it dies down in accuracy as it goes along range. It has less of an arc since it is firing faster then a bow but you will probably not hit anyone 400 feet away from you. And i will include this under another idea but i think it is in game due to the fact of flaming arrows. Its a special ability for certain weapons. So for this weapon it would be grapeshot. Which makes this gun a shotgun. It has the same power but different spread so it can kill a bunch of people who are close but not as close as they would need to be for a normal cannonball. It has around 20 foot range and 20 second reload time.

Those are my thoughts on cannons now onto other ideas.

Special Abilities:

I think that since the game varies so much in weapons and customization there should be perks for doing good with a certain weapon or dealing a certain amount of damage. Or just a temporary option for a weapon.

Blunt Weapons: Hammers and dull weapons and every possible blunt weapons have a certain ability. Say if you use a weapon and have dealed 1000 damage in one life you get an ability named Fury or Rage(something along those lines). Basically it allows you to have a really powerful strike capable of killing anyone you hit once. It can be used once and can be wasted by missing. But it allows you to do a really powerful strike that hits players with 500 damage. You can use it once and then you have to charge it up again. If you do 500 damage with the strike it does not count towards your next rage strike.

One Handed Sharp Weapons: All one handed swords and daggers have an ability that can help you win a fight. If you get five succesful hits or blocks in succession you get a special ability called Rip and Tear. Basically you have to hit someone 5 times without miss and they cannot block your hits. Or you have to parry someones hits 5 times without wasting a parry. Such as when they attack they have to hit your parry if they dont it does not count. You cannot mix these 2 ways. You cannot hit then parry then hit then parry. Because thats how a lot of the fights in the game are. If you hit someone or parry someone 5 times in this game you deserve to kill them. The Hit makes your character stab your sword into the enemies chest and then you pull up essentially cutting the enemy in half. The attack is an animation and is insta kill to one person only. It can be interupted and does not count towards a hit in the countdown for another Rip and Tear. The countdown will cancel if you or the enemy dies or if you cancel combat. It also disapeers if you stop fighting for more then 10 seconds. It has to be the same person your fighting and you cannot be hit, you cannot be parried, you cant miss an attack or waste a parry.

Two handed Sharp Weapons: This ability is helpful for anyone who is good with a Two Handed Sword. Basically if you hit 3 enemies with one swing you get a special ability called Spin and Cut. Where your character spins in a circle with his sword out. Its an instakill on anyone who gets hit. So basically you hit 3 people then you use the spin and kill all 3 of them. The ability does not count towards your next countdown. This ability has to be used right after you hit 3 people. It cannot be saved up and goes away as soon as you leave combat or you dont engage in 10 seconds.

Halberd: This Hybrid between the Axe and a Spear should have an ability that uses its range. Say if you kill 2 people within 10 seconds you get a special ability called Hack and Maim. Its a move/animation that when you engage an enemy you use the axe part of the Halberd and you chop down into the persons neck right into the chest and its instakill. It will not be able if you do not engage in combat 10 seconds after killing 2 people.

Bows: Im pretty sure this is in the game but probably not how i describe it. I was gonna use a reward system but its probably best to just have it as another type of ammo. Basically you get 5 Fire arrow shots. They work like fire bombs but have way more range and damage on hit. They do the normal damage as an arrow does to whatever body part they hit. But they do 5 damage per second for 6 seconds on whoever they hit. So thats 30 damage plus whatever damage happened by the initial hit. They can set fire to the Engineers pitch and they themselves have a small fire radius if they hit something like the firebomb. Such as they hit the ground and they will have a small fire cloud for 6 seconds.

Crossbows: Like other ranged weapons there will not be a requirement for this special ability. Basicall you get a new age bolt which is only existant because of gunpowder. You get 5 Explosive shots. Basically its a bolt with a gunpowder charge under the tip. So upon impact it creates an explosion causing area damage in a 10 foot diameter. It does the normal damage of a bolt but plus 40 damage if you hit someone. If you hit the ground it does an explosion with a 10 foot diameter. Anyone in this explosion will recieve 20 damage the same if your next to someone who gets hit by the bolt. Only direct impact does +40 damage. So you can survive a direct hit but you probably wont if you get hit on the chest or head like normal though.

Hand Cannon: Like ive explained under my cannon section you can get a special ability for your hand cannon. Its like the other ranged weapons where you dont need any prequisites to use this ability. Basically you get 5 Grapeshots which act like a shotgun and have about a 20 foot range. It will hit multiple people if they are in close proximity and can kill or almost kill within 10 feet. Can also penetrate barricades to hit hiding enemies.

Throwing Knives: Throwing Knives should be upgraded in this game. But not by damage only just ammo count. And they should count as a primary so they arent overpowered. Basically the special ability for this weapon is if you throw 3 knives in rapid succession you get a thing called rapid throw which allows you to throw 3 knives within 1 second. Basically throwing Knives would have around 15 ammo. So you could get 2 rapid throws in one life without restocking. It helps if you want to kill someone. Because if all 3 of those rapid throw objects hit the person in the chest they will die.

Throwing Axe: Like Throwing Knives Axes should be upgraded too. Like Knives they should be counted as a primary. Basically there special ability is every 2 axes thrown in rapid succession you get a throw called Cleave. It makes your person throw the axe sideways and it will do double damage upon impact. There is only 10 Axes since they are more powerful then Knives. So you could get a Cleave throw 3 times in one life without restocking.

Spears: These could be pretty much the same in the game. They are used as a primary dealing out the same damage they have before. But there special ability could be rewarding. This might not seem very realistic but it existed in the time. Basically its a spear with a rope on the tail end that your person holds. You get 5 roped shots and they can be used to keep enemies from running away. Its good if you want to kill someone who only does hit and run attacks. After 10 seconds the spear will come out but if you do not throw a new spear after roping someone they will constantly get closer to you.

Shields: This could be rewarding if you are good with your shield. Basically if you succesfully block 5 continuous hits without wasting one you get a thing called shield bash. Its like a normal one but your guy throws his body into the person and causes about 100 damage. Ussually killing whoever is hit will die.

Fists:Fists should get a special ability for doing good with fists. Say if you get multiple hits on an enemy you should be rewarded. So if you hit an enemy 5 times with your fist without missing or getting hit you will get an ability called Jawbreaker where you punch them in the chin and it will instantly kill them. Just easy if your really good with fists you deserve to kill someone if they dont hit you after you hit them 5 times in a row.

New Weapons:

Basically these are all new weapons that you can unlock for all or certain classes.

Bladed Gauntlets: This weapon is a potential weapon that existed around the time. Basically at a high level you can equip this as a secondary. Its a weapon that replaces your fists with a metal glove with knives. This weapon is very fast and can damage easily. Can be Equipped by All.

Hand Bomb: This is a thrown weapon that would be a high level weapon that you can equip. Basically its the firebomb but it has an explosive radius. Its a timed explosive that you throw and can kill if it contacts someones body. But it also does area damage and can hurt multiple people. Can be Equipped by All.

Engineer Buildings:

These are new building possiblities for the Engineer which he could unlock by leveling up. Some things in the game would need the participation of more then one engineer.

Medic Tent: This contraption costs 3 engineer supplies which is the most you get anyway so its worth it. You unlock this at a later level but not too late. Basically when you build it teamates can use it every 10 seconds to heal 30 health. Its like an ammo station but for health it has a recharge as well.

Ammo Station: This costs 1 supply. Its just like how its represented in Age of Chivalry. Basically you build one and it can restore ammo every 10 seconds for anyone who uses it.
    –----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are my ideas for now. I have just been typing these for a while and have a lot more ideas which i have forgotten while typing.

Edit #1 1/28/11
    *Added Halberd
    *Added Throwing Axe
    *Added Two Handed and One Handed Sharp Weapons
    *Added Shields
    *Added Spears

Edit #2 1/29/11
    *Added Engineer Buildings
    *Added New Weapons

Any feedback is welcome including improvements or your own ideas.

• @brickhead119:

Thrown Objects: Thrown objects should be upgraded in this game. But not by damage only just ammo count. And they should count as a primary so they arent overpowered.

I like the way this guy thinks.

• We do need an axe thrower, been said so many times.

• Added more ideas any ideas or feedback is welcome.

• i think the cannons are a good idea although the had cannons will need A LOT of balancing to be ale to be used. although the talk about unlockables hasn’t been around much, i think it would be a good idea, but instead of a MW2 approach, i think it should take a more TF2 approach, letting players “find” weapons, or unlock them with achievements, rather than with time played, as to have new players have just as many weapons, or chance to have as unique weapons as any other player, although being able to unlock them with achievements would also reward players who have spent time in the game. a big NO on the special abilities idea because it would turn this game into an MMO, or a street fighter type deal with combos which would take away form the game, rather than add to it. for the engi it would be better to have a set set of skills, rather than leveling up and adding more, or making them better, this isn’t MW2 or battlefield. the only game i’ve seen “special abilities” used successfully is in monday night combat, and MMO’s, only in MNC because it only uses one that’s generic to all the classes. rather than rewarding a player for doing good with a weapon, it would reward spammers for hitting enemies and in return getting kills. adding specials to CBA would only degrade the combat style. thenarrator can back me up with this.

• Your proposed special abilities sound intriguing, but I disagree with awarding them based on merit. If a player is skilled enough to rack up 1000 damage or 5 kills in a single life, he doesn’t need any further assistance; it would only make it harder for newer, less-capable players to compete. The devs have stated that creating an inviting environment for inexperienced players is a top priority; I don’t see that effort dovetailing with special abilities in the fashion that you’ve suggested here.

That said, seeing as how I’m going to be one of those more skilled players (trust me, I am), I wouldn’t really mind this sort of system finding its way into the game.

• you only want it so oyu can TRY and beat me mike, we both know that’s never happening :P

• Vox and Mike Honcho

The hand cannon might need some tweaking but i feel like its decently balanced. I mean sure you can get one or two kills a shot but then you have to stand still for 20 seconds and be vulnerable. And plus they do not have very good range or accuracy so your not gonna hit anyone at far range. The Siege Cannon is also decently balanced but i do agree it needs some more downfalls. It can be destroyed and its not repairable. And it takes a while to reload.

Maybe their could be a hybrid of sorts when it comes to unlocking and using new weapons. I feel that tasks and something to rely on are good ways of getting weapons. So when unlocking say you get 1000 kills with any bow you unlock the hand cannon. But you reach level 11 or something and you get a new bow that has greater damage. Just something you can rely on when you level up is getting weapons. But if you specialize in something you should be rewarded by unlockables as well.

Special abilities are not too overpowered. Just think of it as a perk for doing well in combat AT THAT MOMENT. If you read the side effects you should realize once you do certain easily uptainable things you lose your ability and have to gain it at another time. And most of the abilities are hard to obtain if the other player does easy things that the game enforces you to do. And maybe if a new player keeps getting killed by some preventable special ability it will tell him what went wrong in his death. Such as you were killed by X you can counter this if you parry and time your attacks well you can beat him.

And i feel maybe you can counteract spamming of an ability by having a cooldown on it. Such as X has been used wait another 5 minutes before you can get it again.

• @brickhead119:

Special abilities are not too overpowered. Just think of it as a perk for doing well in combat AT THAT MOMENT. If you read the side effects you should realize once you do certain easily uptainable things you lose your ability and have to gain it at another time. And most of the abilities are hard to obtain if the other player does easy things that the game enforces you to do. And maybe if a new player keeps getting killed by some preventable special ability it will tell him what went wrong in his death. Such as you were killed by X you can counter this if you parry and time your attacks well you can beat him.

And i feel maybe you can counteract spamming of an ability by having a cooldown on it. Such as X has been used wait another 5 minutes before you can get it again.

Cooldown would probably ease frustration a bit. I think special abilities would work best if they were available to worse players, though. Maybe a system where you enable the abilities at the start of the game, set a 5-minute cooldown on them, then a player’s actions can decrease the cooldown time; maybe a 15-second decrease for each kill, or 5 seconds for each successful parry, depending on the class. That way, you could give reward players for doing well, while not shutting new players out of the fun entirely.

• Special abilities, please please NO. Sounds like a PVKII (Pirates, Vikings and Knights) clone if they were to be implemented. Apart from that, I am liking these ideas.

I would like to stick with a more visceral experience that I have come to know from AoC (bar the rubbery physics).

My pennys’ worth, tyvm.

• Special abilities would subtract from the combat because players would be more focused on trying to get it, rather than trying to think intuitively. Although it sounds like a fun idea it would mess up the current combat system, rather than adding something fun for players to have during combat, it would be something extra for them to have to think about while fighting an opponent or force you to play in a fashion that you don’t like so you can get the special abilities so you insta gib your enemies. Defending against spammers is easy, it forces you to parry, and to be rewarded with an insta kill for something as dumb as that is just…dumb.

The hand-cannon is a good idea, although it will need tweaking and i think rather than getting multiple kills with it, and being accurate, it should have very little accuracy, but guarantee a kill if it hits.

Unlocks shouldn’t be dictated by level simply because it’s unfriendly to new players, being put into an environment with high level players and being extremely disadvantaged, which is what they want to avoid. Also making it level based is maknig it way to much like MW2 or battlefield…and both those games suck.

• I’m also very much against the idea of special attacks, but I don’t have the time to respond properly now (exam in a few days). I’ll try to remember to elaborate in a week or so.

• @TheNarrator:

I’m also very much against the idea of special attacks, but I don’t have the time to respond properly now (exam in a few days). I’ll try to remember to elaborate in a week or so.

You don’t always have to show us up with your soundly constructed arguments. They’re like the Mercedes-Benz of forum posts. Mine are are more like a Kia; competitive, but still, they’re no Hyundai.

Vox posts Yugos.

• @Mike:

@TheNarrator:

I’m also very much against the idea of special attacks, but I don’t have the time to respond properly now (exam in a few days). I’ll try to remember to elaborate in a week or so.

You don’t always have to show us up with your soundly constructed arguments. They’re like the Mercedes-Benz of forum posts. Mine are are more like a Kia; competitive, but still, they’re no Hyundai.

Vox posts Yugos.

:P

I figured that my attitude can become irritating at times, but at the other hand side, I would personally be more frustrated if someone shoots down my suggestion by saying “Meh, don’t like it.” than if they’d make a needlessly long post with arguments. But I realize I overdo it quite often. It’s mainly because I’m not skilled enough, language-wise, to express my thoughts in short texts and still make the impression that I thought things through. Going all the way with lengthy essays is an easy (and time-consuming) way to camouflage that, as it gives people (hopefully) the impression that you know what you’re talking about.

• wtf is a yugo?..… i love reading your posts narrator :3

• Vox i feel you need to read my original post about hand cannons again. I never said its very accurate. I said its extremely innacurate and has terrible range. It can get multi kills if someone stands behind the other person. Its not like im asking for a flamethrower. And special attacks shouldnt be something people know about. Your making it seem like someones task is to only get one. Its hard to use if you kill the guy you got it from. Considering if you move a few feet it will cancel on you. And its pretty likely in real combat if someone just attacks 5 times in a row and you block them all that they will be open and pretty tired so you could strike them and kill them. And most of the special abilities only have the ability to kill one person. Plus some special abilities dont have to be earned like the flame arrow or the explosive bolt.

And i do have more you can criticize on… I added new things go check the original post. I list on the bottom what i added in every edit. So far ive heard nothing on the engineer constructions and new weapons.

• Developer

I am very much so against the idea of special abilities in the format you have presented them. That doesn’t mean they’re bad ideas, some of them are quite creative, but I dislike the effect they end up having on the game, which as others have pointed out, is to reward only the best players, artificially increasing the skill gap. A perfect example of this is to look to the Call of Duty series Killstreaks feature. The basic idea is that if you get 3 kills in a row you get various ways to kill your opponents and more at 5, 7 etc. The result is that players who are doing well keep doing well and in my opinion, the team that is doing well continues to do well (as the other team is now being killed by things they cannot defend against effectively), and the only result is less balanced and competitive matches and more steamrolls. Maybe it makes it fun for the people who gain the abilities, but in my opinion, it is fun at the expense of others, which is something we aim to avoid doing unfairly with our game experiences.

The unlock system is something our team is thinking over now, I’d love to see more discussion on an ideal unlock system and have community input here as it’d be perfect timing to adjust the design document for that feature if we had some great ideas come in.

• Hand cannon: no, NO, NO. Guess what implementing such a weapon would result in? Getting hit by a random shot (If there’s one thing I hate in videogames but which also seems omnipresent it’s the luck factor) and getting instagibbed sucks. Also the 20 second reload would mean (pub) archers exhibit even less pressure on the enemy since the user would probably be running in to fire and then running away to hide and reload again. IMHO the crossbow is the slowest allowable weapon in-game. A reload any longer than that/damage higher than that would be disastrous to the game flow. I already have crossbowers staring at me waiting for me to drop my shield in AoC. A weapon like this would just worsen it.

Also, this weapon would almost guarantee a K/D of at least 1, since you would spawn with the cannon loaded and ready to instantkill someone.

People, when designing games/suggesting gameplay options for them, please keep in mind that players will always try to find the cheapest way to get a good K/D.

One of the problems MW2 has is people saying “I’m not going to go for that objective! I’m on a 22 killstreak! I’ve almost got my nuke!” People would try to get the specials instead of the objective.