HiveGamer QW 3 - Postponed yet again due to lack of interest… "Sigh"

• Unfortunately despite all our efforts and hundreds of voluntary development hours. It would appear that the chivalry community is quite content throwing last-minute tournaments together hosted by other clans. The people that could help make this great are only interested in doing their own thing. There are way too many chiefs and not enough Indians in the chivalry community.

Going forward we’re actually considering dropping both Amateur and Professional Tournaments for Chivalry.

Unless there’s a drastic change in community support there’s a good probability it will be dropped and focusing on games that will actually take advantage of all of our voluntary hard work.

We do apologize to the people that do show their support and actually show up for events.

• And that is why Tibbs, while he (and anyone else) can easily create a competition website…

… it is much more than that. It is about relationships, it is about contacts, it is about social stuff that TBS is not ready for (um no communication for 3 months). Organizing competitions (assuming there are clans left to organize) is a lot of work.

Much easier would be to build something into the game to allow automated matches, ranking etc. - TBS would profit far more from that.

• Last minute tournaments? I prepared mine for months and so has everyone else. It’s a lot of work that we’d rather not do but unfortunately, there is nobody else out there to host team tournaments.

So, a few things:

According to your website, all of the slots for both tournaments are full. It would appear that everyone is signed up for the two tournaments and ready to go. Not sure where you’re getting the lack of interest part. Let’s assume I’m missing something though (which is quite possible) and there is a lack of interest.

People have probably lost interest in duel tournaments. Try some team tourneys. 2v2’s to 5v5’s.

In the rules section you have 3rd person allowed. You’ve just displeased 90 percent of the competitive community. If you guys do start hosting team tournaments and 3rd person is still allowed, I would be surprised if even 2 clans enter.

If I’m not mistaken, these tournaments were originally supposed to be played on March 1st. I remember this because I saw that you had tournaments on March 1st, so I courteously set my tournament for the week after. Then, for reasons stated above, there was a lack of interest that weekend so you postponed the tournaments. Not a huge problem, except you made the new date conflict with the start of my 5v5 TO tournament and now for some reason you’re wondering why nobody can do your tournament.

• I thought all the brackets were filled up? I was planning on being there tomorrow.

• Those brackets are from 3 weeks ago. We had to postpone the last 2 week because 90% of the people that signed up didn’t show up. So to try and counterbalance that we asked for more people to sign up as reserves. Unfortunately that never happened either. As far as scheduling conflicts we are truly sorry. But since the start of us hosting events they’ve always been on Saturday 8PM EST every week.

I’ve been on this site many times asking for people to join us in our efforts. We have the system and all the tools you need to host any type of event. We’ve posted constantly that we are looking for staff that have particular interest in chivalry. We are a multi-gaming company and now multi-game competitive league. We will need to put people in place to help host events that are passionate about said game. Again if anyone is interested in joining our efforts please send me a PM one here or on hive gamer.

• @HiveGaming:

But since the start of us hosting events they’ve always been on Saturday 8PM EST every week.

This would be fine, but you can’t expect the comp community to vacate every saturday night to play a 3rd person duel tournament. Team tournaments will always gather more interest and the comp community’s opinion on 3rd person should be obvious by now.

• Moreover, you should work on improving with how you interact with the Chiv comp scene.

Professionalism is nice, and necessary for larger scenes and tournaments with more at stake. But at the moment, Chivalry has a very laid back scene, playing for fun more than anything else. We’ve settled into somewhat of a groove but you don’t seem to be on the same wavelength.

You don’t even apparently know the common rules for competition that have been set from the very first scrims. I don’t have much experience with other, perhaps more serious, scenes but you’re jumping in as some faceless organisation (I mean, really, do you have to post as “HiveGaming” rather than a particular staff member?) into a quite small and very personal level competitive scene and simply expect people to latch on to something that so far you have not been doing better.

You are some alien entity and right now it’s extremely obvious that you aren’t anywhere near as invested in Chivalry as the people who organise and run tournaments now. What do YOU have that someone already here couldn’t set up and run themselves? You want people more familiar with Chiv to host events but why would they bother going through HiveGamer?

Do your homework, make some friends, and help bring some enthusiasm to the competitive scene. “Sigh, no interest” is not what we need right now. Take the interest you have an run with it, MAKE it interesting.

EDIT: Why don’t you partner up with these “last-minute” tournament makers? Go to them (rather than waiting for them to come to you) and have them host the tournament but offer the HiveGaming site and tools to host it on. In a scene like this, people will be more willing to go through all the bother of signing up members and whatnot if the tournament is going to be hosted by someone they know will do it right, someone they can steam message and ask questions or discuss issues and rules, rather than a website hosted by anonymous people who have nothing to do with Chivalry.

• Completely agree with what Nabs said. I was thinking the same thing about professionalism but wouldn’t have been able to put it as elegantly.

So yes, going to these last-minute tournament makers would be the next route. Do your homework, talk to all the clan leaders, and learn the rules that we’ve established as a community. You can’t expect to just post on the forums and have everyone flock to you unless you’re offering something that isn’t currently being done (money, chivalry hats, and whatnot). Even for my tournament I had to contact every clan leader to make sure there would be a decent turnout. Many clan leaders just aren’t on the forums. If you’re not sure about rules, check out my tourney thread. It’s updated with all of the current rules of comp play.

• @NabsterHax:

Moreover, you should work on improving with how you interact with the Chiv comp scene.

Professionalism is nice, and necessary for larger scenes and tournaments with more at stake. But at the moment, Chivalry has a very laid back scene, playing for fun more than anything else. We’ve settled into somewhat of a groove but you don’t seem to be on the same wavelength.

You don’t even apparently know the common rules for competition that have been set from the very first scrims. I don’t have much experience with other, perhaps more serious, scenes but you’re jumping in as some faceless organisation (I mean, really, do you have to post as “HiveGaming” rather than a particular staff member?) into a quite small and very personal level competitive scene and simply expect people to latch on to something that so far you have not been doing better.

You are some alien entity and right now it’s extremely obvious that you aren’t anywhere near as invested in Chivalry as the people who organise and run tournaments now. What do YOU have that someone already here couldn’t set up and run themselves? You want people more familiar with Chiv to host events but why would they bother going through HiveGamer?

Do your homework, make some friends, and help bring some enthusiasm to the competitive scene. “Sigh, no interest” is not what we need right now. Take the interest you have an run with it, MAKE it interesting.

EDIT: Why don’t you partner up with these “last-minute” tournament makers? Go to them (rather than waiting for them to come to you) and have them host the tournament but offer the HiveGaming site and tools to host it on. In a scene like this, people will be more willing to go through all the bother of signing up members and whatnot if the tournament is going to be hosted by someone they know will do it right, someone they can steam message and ask questions or discuss issues and rules, rather than a website hosted by anonymous people who have nothing to do with Chivalry.

Thank you for your feedback, however I am very familiar with the competitive rules of chivalry. Please also note that we’ve had many discussions about this and it has been clearly pointed out that first-person view will be in the professional category. There are two categories on Hive Gamer. Amateur and Professional. Amateur brackets has looser rules so it appeals to more people.

Is that a serious question about what do we have that other people don’t? I’ve not seen any league halfway is detailed as ours or with the resources and all the tools we provide. I say that with no pun intended. I’ve attempted on multiple levels to communicate with the leaders of the clans to better coordinate tournaments.

The whole theory behind the 1 vs 1 when we started was to counterbalance the low community. It’s a lot easier to feel one slot brackets verse six slots per bracket. We have every intention on hosting other tournaments. A lot of this information is on our website that nobody bothers to read :/

• Why was I never contacted about helping to host a team tourney? What clan leaders did you even talk to? Where are these professional tournaments you keep talking about and what makes them different from amateur tournaments?

I ask these things not to be arrogant, but because I was the first person to comment on your guys’ first post about your competitive site, Tempest is an incredibly active clan so it would make sense to be in contact with me, and I talked to 25 clan leaders to try to get more entries into my tournament (and I’m only one person) so it’s not incredibly difficult to make contact with a number of clan leaders.

If you host a team tournament, you don’t need to fill six slots. Just allow a clan to enter. That’s one slot. These clans have steam groups. That’s their roster. Or each clan leader can send you a roster. You thought 1v1 would be the way to go but it ended up not working great when it’s the only thing offered. It grew stale temporarily I think. Not to say that it doesn’t still have its niche, but team tourneys will gather more interest.

• @HiveGaming:

Thank you for your feedback, however I am very familiar with the competitive rules of chivalry. Please also note that we’ve had many discussions about this and it has been clearly pointed out that first-person view will be in the professional category. There are two categories on Hive Gamer. Amateur and Professional. Amateur brackets has looser rules so it appeals to more people.

The problem with Chivalry is there is really only 2 or 3 types of players: Competitive players who are interested in playing serious scrims and tournaments, pubstars who are quite good but don’t play with a team, and pubs who most probably don’t even know that competitive Chivalry is a thing.

Who are you trying to attract with “Amateur” competitions? This isn’t counter-strike where there are a LOAD of (really good) amateur competitive players as well as proper (ungodly good) professionals. At this point, Chivalry’s top players are still just “amateurs” really. It’s gonna take a fair bit of effort to convert that into anything that resembles something “professional.”

If you want to get your service going, start by taking care of those that want it most. That is, the top players (or “professionals” if you want to call them that). Get some big tourneys out there with the best players to generate some more general interest with the more casual “amateur” players.

At the moment, you’re making it awkward for the dedicated comp players by making competitions that aren’t really suited for them, and hurting the more casual players because you’re letting “professionals” into your amateur competitions. Establish your professional scene, the build the bridge to it through amateur competitions.

Is that a serious question about what do we have that other people don’t? I’ve not seen any league halfway is detailed as ours or with the resources and all the tools we provide. I say that with no pun intended. I’ve attempted on multiple levels to communicate with the leaders of the clans to better coordinate tournaments.

That is a serious question. Other than a level of formalism and professionalism that I have no doubt is more daunting than helpful to a lot of people? Chiv’s community isn’t going to flip from the occasional, laid back scrim and cup to formal play, regulations, rules and procedures overnight. It’s the same problem we Europe had with ESL early on: “So, why do we need to bother uploading screenshots and crap to a website when the other 5 teams in the tournament all know the result anyway?”

The whole theory behind the 1 vs 1 when we started was to counterbalance the low community. It’s a lot easier to feel one slot brackets verse six slots per bracket. We have every intention on hosting other tournaments. A lot of this information is on our website that nobody bothers to read :/

That sounds like a good plan until you see the history of Chivalry 1v1s. There is no where near the level of hype, effort and commitment to 1v1 tourneys from players as there is 5v5+. 1v1 isn’t where the beautiful game of Chiv lies. It’s like trying to get people interested in a 1v1 L4D tournament - the game just wasn’t made for it.

• I am “quite” new to the competitive scene and I would like to suggest a few things to make your tournaments more “semi-noob” friendly.

• This may sound stupid, but a few weeks ago when I saw the post for signing up for this, I was kind of overwhelmed by the website. It was pretty fancy, but agreeing with previous replies on this post, not what I expected. I would recommend making the signup button bigger and doing obvious things like when the signup is over on a tournament, putting “SIGNUP OVER” in big writing at the top of the post.
    • Now I know you are thinking, that I am some kind of massive idiot, but before I was more familiar with these forums and just wanted to signup up for something, I didn’t really look at the posts that thoroughly.
    • Also, I am not sure if this is really what you are supposed to do for tournament signups, but I would recommend putting a signup post on the Chivalry: Medieval Warfare discussions in the community hub on steam, as I check there a lot more than these forums.

If you create another tournament, I know what to do now and will gladly sign up and spread the word, but doing the simple things above may help users new to these forums. :)

• Thank you Nabs, For a well thought out post. I truly appreciate you taking the time to post this.

@NabsterHax:

That is a serious question. Other than a level of formalism and professionalism that I have no doubt is more daunting than helpful to a lot of people? Chiv’s community isn’t going to flip from the occasional, laid back scrim and cup to formal play, regulations, rules and procedures overnight. It’s the same problem we Europe had with ESL early on: “So, why do we need to bother uploading screenshots and crap to a website when the other 5 teams in the tournament all know the result anyway?”

Screenshots will be recorded for wins and losses in players profiles. If you’re referring to the scrms? Just ignore it you don’t need to submit a screenshot to accept a win or lost. The other player has to confirm it anyway. However in ranked play you will need to submit a screenshot. We also do this for the community not every one knows every match result. You also need to understand that we are a multi gaming community and our tools are designed to be universal. With that said we have a lot of plans for Hive Gamer. Including our own news and media team. We truly want to make this the unique experience are all. We’re actively seeking your opinions and ideas to better shape or community. Help us make it the best experience for all of us :)

• I just want to clarify here: Personally I think what you’re trying to provide is great. I really hope Chiv can settle in with some standard competitive play authority because it desperately needs it to move forward. I’m just trying to speak on behalf of players who perhaps don’t see that.

A lot of competitive Chivalry players aren’t necessarily all that competitive. Some people would rather not scrim than lose, especially if some sort of ranking is on the line. It’s a perhaps understandable attitude in a scene this small where it’s not uncommon for the very best to be asking a scrim against people who are much worse.

It might be beneficial to, for now at least, reward participation more than winning. Have a random consolation prize draw that could go out to anyone who played in a competition, rather than just winners. If you don’t want to give out things of monetary worth, there are other ways to go about it too. Ask people to cast show-matches just for fun - I’m sure there are people out there who love casting but only do it when they’re asked for a tournament, and I’m also sure people would want to play more if their scrim was being streamed.

Don’t let people come in thinking “great, now we have to play X and get rolled, then upload a screenshot of said rolling and go back to the bottom of the ladder.” We can’t afford people to get demoralised like that. In a scene like this most people already have a ladder in their head anyway. The important thing is to convince people to go against each other as much as possible, regardless of the expected result, because once we start doing that we’ll hopefully start getting some more close and interesting matchups more often.

I’d love to get involved with you guys more directly, but as I’m from over the pond I don’t think it would be too appropriate as I don’t have many connections in the US scene. Hopefully you’ll find people over there who have the same kind of drive, though.

• Would have been nice to respond to my questions and comments as well. Plenty of motivated people in NA but they’re being ignored even in this very thread.

• @HiveGaming:

Unfortunately despite all our efforts and hundreds of voluntary development hours. It would appear that the chivalry community is quite content throwing last-minute tournaments together hosted by other clans. The people that could help make this great are only interested in doing their own thing. There are way too many chiefs and not enough Indians in the chivalry community.

Going forward we’re actually considering dropping both Amateur and Professional Tournaments for Chivalry.

Unless there’s a drastic change in community support there’s a good probability it will be dropped and focusing on games that will actually take advantage of all of our voluntary hard work.

We do apologize to the people that do show their support and actually show up for events.

And this is largely why the Chiv Competitive Community fails.

What’s hilarious is who they blame for it….

• I think there are enough competitive players for 1vs1 tournaments to exist, the problem I see isn’t the competitors, but a lack of interest in watching the competitions and this seems to apply to all formats. I’m not sure why. Objectively speaking Chivalry is pretty cool to watch, isn’t it? Casual plays on youtube can get hundreds of thousands of views. There are some videos that even have millions of hits.

So the real question I have, the one that will determine the viability of real competitive play beyond the fairly casual stuff we have going on now, is how can we get more people interested in watching the streams and videos of the tournaments? Without an audience, it’ll remain casual, and I think professional level services for a fairly casual competitive scene form a mismatch right now.

In a lot of respects I think the biggest problem with the comp scene is that chivalry is largely still seen as some simple and trivial game, good for a few laughs but nothing serious. I doubt most who play or know of chivalry actually realize that the skill ceiling is quite high. People need to know this game could be as competitive as LoL or SC2, all it takes is an audience which I think it has potential for because like I mentioned, it is fun to watch.

• @The:

In a lot of respects I think the biggest problem with the comp scene is that chivalry is largely still seen as some simple and trivial game, good for a few laughs but nothing serious. I doubt most who play or know of chivalry actually realize that the skill ceiling is quite high. People need to know this game could be as competitive as LoL or SC2, all it takes is an audience which I think it has potential for because like I mentioned, it is fun to watch.

Thats the problem. The skill ceiling is higher than it might appear.
    And dont forget what CU2 did to the game…

• @Darden:

Thats the problem. The skill ceiling is higher than it might appear.
    And dont forget what CU2 did to the game…

CU2 did nothing compared to the buggy patch that went live in January. Alt animation swing glitch caused a lot of the players to cry blocks not working. I know every friend i got into the game in january quit because “blocks weren’t working”

The worst part about it, is that such a game breaking bug didn’t get fixed until 5 months later.

• @NoVaLombardia:

CU2 did nothing compared to the buggy patch that went live in January. Alt animation swing glitch caused a lot of the players to cry blocks not working. I know every friend i got into the game in january quit because “blocks weren’t working”

The worst part about it, is that such a game breaking bug didn’t get fixed until 5 months later.

I’m personally surprised we haven’t had any hacking accusations because of the current alt swing bug. Shit is nasty when you riposte a polearm overhead and its snaps to an alt. Although the previous alt swing bug was of course much more gamebreaking and abusable.