Chivlalry 2 or what is next?

• So lets take a step back and look at CMW future and where it should go.

CMW game is great, many of us have had thousand++ entertainment from the game so what is next?

We have the map competition, some bug fixes etc.

But.

Time is limited, running out, it will be soon time for a new version of CMW.

Unreal 3 I assume is dying, new engines to create new products easier, fewer bugs, easier to create mods will be needed. I do not know - this is not my industry.

But the facts are CMW and CDW player counts is dropping (below).

So what next?

RPG or MMO is out of the question.

But is there something in between???

I have not thought it through but I think there is something (something) that slides in between MMO and CMW that could be incredible. Perhaps a small amount of progression that appeals to the PvP MMO enthusiasts for six (likely 10+ million players).

Chivlary 2 is required - I do like the ideas previously put forward of selecting your armor and weapons (MMO style) that gives you a (balanced) warrior based upon selection.

Hopefully TBS is thinking about this.

• Chivalry Deadliest Warrior 2 obviously since that was such a good idea.

• @Sophax:

Chivalry Deadliest Warrior 2

I support this. It’s the next logical step in the progression of the Chivalry franchise and will make Torn Banner dozens of dollars.

Chivalry 2 would be cool, but I doubt we’re going to see it anytime soon. They’re still trying to figure out how to get more money out of MW.

• That graph doesn’t really show that chivalry is dying. It shows a spike between December and February and then it goes back to where it started.

• Seems stable to me.

But the best way to kill it off is releasing a sequel nobody needs.

• @Evil:

Seems stable to me.

But the best way to kill it off is releasing a sequel nobody needs.

^^Exactly.

• @lemonater47:

^^Exactly.

I am confused after 3,000 posts of your support for CDW you are saying the sequel sucks? Or were you always trolling for the sake of trolling?

• @gregcau:

I am confused after 3,000 posts of your support for CDW you are saying the sequel sucks? Or were you always trolling for the sake of trolling?

CDW isn’t a sequel and its numbers are included in the chivalry numbers.

CMW2 is a useless sequel.

• Maybe the same combat gameplay (it’s really what makes chiv awesome), but with armor and weapon stats costumization, more classes, different “perks” or skills (like special atacks) to choose from. Maybe you get a horse for a killstreak, that you lose when you get killed. Lots of room to make awesome improvements.
    And, of course, an overall better optimized game, that’s not built upon a broken foundation.

• @MissingNo:

Maybe the same combat gameplay (it’s really what makes chiv awesome), but with armor and weapon stats costumization, more classes, different “perks” or skills (like special atacks) to choose from. Maybe you get a horse for a killstreak, that you lose when you get killed. Lots of room to make awesome improvements.
    And, of course, an overall better optimized game, that’s not built upon a broken foundation.

Theres gonna e problems regardless how they do it. Regardless of who does it.

Pretty much every game these days is released with a mountain of bugs. So don’t get your hopes up over an optimised, bugless chivalry with tons of brand spanking new features.

• No, definitely not time for CMW2. TBS is just now finally working on improving/fixing CMW, it’s finally starting to become the game it was meant to be over a year ago.

• This isn’t something I expect to see any time soon, but there are definitely things that could make the game better. The thing is, there’s not really a point in that until U4 replaces U3. War of the Roses type customization would be awesome, but they can add that to this game. More weapons and classes would be awesome, but they can add that to this game. As of right now, there’s not really a reason to focus on a sequel over content updates to Chivalry 1.

• IMO, it would be a huge mistake to throw away CMW and make a whole new game at this point in time. CMW still has SO much potential… It’s as if the game is only running at 20% capacity right now.

The graphics are excellent but have the potential for improvement, the gameplay is still in the midst of being refined (basic things like POV camera are still being tweaked!), and we only have a tiny handful of maps (hence the map contest that was just announced).

CMW has the potential to enter a whole new peak, if the devs are up to the task. TBS just needs to keep nudging it in the right direction, stick to their guns (original “vision” of the game – intense, gritty medieval combat), and find ways to continue to capitalize on their success (buyable helmets, armor skins, weapon skins, new voice packs / characters, etc.). Unfortunately, and I may be out of line here, but I think TBS’s decision to temporarily abandon CMW and release DW was a horrible business decision that stretched out their resources too thin. Instead of focusing their efforts on continuing to refine and expand CMW into a superior, AAA title, they got distracted by a side project to make a few extra bucks… Live and learn? I know the team is young.

In my opinion, CMW is just now finally starting to come into its own. What it needs is to get beefed up — CMW is already an excellent game. It just needs to be expanded in scope. A lot of the professional gaming magazines gave Chivalry a rating of somewhere in the 70% to 80% range, which I think was a very good showing, all things considered. The reason CMW was unable to get to a 90+ rating was because TBS does not have 100 employees and millions of dollars of funding behind it. This is another reason why I think they would be better off focusing on building on the foundation they’ve already laid (CMW). Let’s face it, CMW has a strong foundation and the potential to grow.

The game really needs more maps (see: map contest), more voice commands (buyable voice pack), more customization (imagine being able to choose from 10 slightly different types of armor for your Agatha knight or MAA… medieval armor from Europe comes in all shapes in sizes… just think of the possibilities… ).

IMO, CMW has the chance to be the premier first person melee combat game… similar to how Counter-Strike and COD are to first person shooters.

• When is this MMO craze gonna die? MMO’s are shitty half-assed games that try so hard to achive multi-verse status that they simply forgot they are GAMES in the process. Fucking go back to World of warcraft/Guild Wars 2/TESO and be your own little special snowflake there.

• Its probably Chiv 2, but dont expect it for another 2 years ;)

• Games Like Cod became popular because they are easy as dicks to play and cater for a far larger audience.

Also the number of people in your development team doesn’t correlate to what score you get on metascore.

• I’d like TB to start working on Chiv 2 in ~ 1 year

• More deadliest warrior? Please no. The combat in that game is a joke, as well as the balance. I don’t understand what you see in it.

• @Agent:

More deadliest warrior? Please no. The combat in that game is a joke, as well as the balance. I don’t understand what you see in it.

It was a joke

• I don’t know, I’d actually like an MMO with Chivalry’s combat system. Imagine traveling across the world, riding on your horse, killing bandits and going to cities and selling shit? Getting attacked by other players on the road? How amazing is that? Maybe I’m imagining it in a slightly different light but to me, it just seems like a great idea.

But it would never work! Mainly because the attacks are action based and that doesn’t work at all with MMOs (watch this video for an explanation that makes sense), and with so many players packed in the same world it would just be a gigantic lagfest.

@SOC:

No, definitely not time for CMW2. TBS is just now finally working on improving/fixing CMW, it’s finally starting to become the game it was meant to be over a year ago.

Also this. I’m not giving up on CMW anytime soon. The new stuff they’re adding is amazing.