Feedback on newest beta

• Okay ill keep this short, first the positive

I like the new customization.

Most of the barbarians fit into the game IMO. Some of them need more armor, like mason and archer and vanguard Mason barbarians.

More customization = good, now all we need is female models.

The two new knight skins are too skinny, agatha one especially at the throat part

I love the bubble reduction. New recovery times are awesome aswell, its a no brainer on those two.

The new crosshair is awesome aswell.

Now, the negatives

Because im lazy, i will just quote nabster in this thread

@NabsterHax:

Agreed.

I’m really happy to see the default FOV knocked up a few notches, but camera changes and animation changes…. ehhh.

TBS obviously thinks face-hugging is a massive issue. I can’t really argue against that because for me, and all my friends who played, never even once considered that it was in any way shape or form a problem. So I can’t even begin to address the “negatives” to reducing the bubble.

I haven’t tested the changes much, but so far this reeks of “making a mountain out of a molehill” and these knock on changes are definitely something I want to be extremely, extremely cautious with. Because balancing like that is what led us to ending up with recovery parry.

Moving the camera back a bit sounds innocent enough, but I am 100% certain it will have unintended consequences that will not be found until people really start playing with it in a live build. Whether those consequences are good or bad, or big or small, it will change the game in an unpredictable way.

I propose: Change the bubble size, and don’t mess with the camera or animations, but up the default FOV. See what kind of feedback you get from the masses. Only then, if it is a problem, attempt to resolve it. Pre-emptively trying to “fix” these things is more likely to annoy players, break stuff and/or not even fix the actual problem.

@NabsterHax:

Changing the animations means changing the game in a massive way. Keep in mind that the animations are the only thing available to players in judging things like drags and feints. That end of windup “hover” thing that’s going on with the new animations makes it much harder to tell when a weapon’s feint window has been passed.

Just wanted to re-iterate that animations in Chivalry are everything, and changes deserve a beta of their own, not bundled as a side-effect of the bubble change.

^I agree with everything what has been said above. New bubble is a good compromise. Please dont change the animations and camera in such a drastic way. Please.

Anyway, thats my 2c to this beta.

• Actually I like the camera. I thought you did too at the time of Beta build 2?

I’m sure there is another workaround for the clipping issue than making animations shit.

• I did too but theres problems with it, like misleading stabs into your sides etc.

• @CRUSHED:

I did too but theres problems with it, like misleading stabs into your sides etc.

Haven’t experienced this (then again there are no EU servers so it’s hard to tell), could you elaborate a bit?

No clue why TB decided to rework the swing animations, just placing the hand models further behind would’ve fixed the clipping issue for the most part. The most apparent problem for me is that a lot of 1H attacks hit when it seems like they’re way out of range, could be lag too, but I feel it’s the camera change. One can of course get used to this, but newbie confusion is likely to ensue.

Feints, drags and polearm handle hits are way easier to read with the new camera, which leads to less bullshit deaths and less frustration.

That is a huge plus, and for that alone I want the new camera to stay.

• Since the new camera, I’ve had to adjust to the feel of range all over again. Many attacks that with the old camera would straight up miss, now hit. There are times where the incoming attack seems to harmlessly hit the air in front of you, but will actually connect. The reason being that your torso/arms are being struck (also a lot of high ping players on NA servers because no Eu servers… for some reason). Again, this can be adapted to, so I’m ready to make that switch. However, a lot of animations are straight ugly at the moment. I want to wait and see what they can do with some of the problem weapons (2h swords of all types, broadsword, and 2h axes are most effected).

On the good side though, the adjusted billhook animations are absolutely amazing. Not sure what was done differently with polearms, but they seem just right.

• @CRUSHED:

Okay ill keep this short, first the positive

I like the new customization.

Most of the barbarians fit into the game IMO. Some of them need more armor, like mason and archer and vanguard Mason barbarians.

More customization = good, now all we need is female models.

The two new knight skins are too skinny, agatha one especially at the throat part

I love the bubble reduction. New recovery times are awesome aswell, its a no brainer on those two.

The new crosshair is awesome aswell.

Now, the negatives

Because im lazy, i will just quote nabster in this thread

^I agree with everything what has been said above. New bubble is a good compromise. Please dont change the animations and camera in such a drastic way. Please.

Anyway, thats my 2c to this beta.

AGREE WITH EVERYTHING. I really don’t like the animations as they are now. They are sluggish and don’t feel true to the tracers due to some parts of the swing being faster than others. Plus, changing the animations of the weapons changes the game too too drastically and I personally see nothing wrong with the current ones.

Also, facehugging is NOT a problem and I have never viewed it as such. If you complain about facehugs, you need to think about your footwork and using the kick function. You can’t blame the game’s mechanics for your mistakes. Typically, only inexperienced players complain about facehugs. TBS needs to listen to the players who know the game inside out and don’t simple whine about everything that they lose to. Reduce the bubble.

• I like the new camera, but if TBS feel that new animations were necessary for the change to go through, I think it should be halted.
    Also, I see it as a positive that you can actually see the stabs that go around your block if they do, and that you have to centralize incoming attacks in your view more.

But yeah, bottom line, don’t push these particular new changes. Nabster articulated it very well.

• I would rather the game stick with the live camera and animations. They are great in my opinion. I don’t want the new camera/new animations.

I welcome the bubble reduction and customization options (even if I don’t end up using new skins, it’s nice for others to have more options – especially if they’re part of the lore). I really want to see new things pushed out in this game, but would rather them be new maps, weapons, game modes, classes, customization, etc.

There is definitely room for the game to grow in terms of new content, but the mechanics are already solid.

TBS seems set on the new camera though, which means news animations are definitely coming. I’ll get used to the game again I’m sure, but I just wish we didn’t have to.

• but where did the barbarians go?

• They went out shopping - getting some clothes and armor.