Team Objective balance - please answer some questions

• I would like to hear some opinions on these questions:

1. Which map has the best balance?
    2. Which map has the worst (and which team has the advantage)?
    3. Which single objective has the best balance?
    4. Which single objective has the worst (and which team has the advantage)?
    5. Do you think every objective should be balanced or should there be an advantage for one team (attacker/defender)?

Thank you :)

• 1. Which map has the best balance? - I don’t have access to actual win stats, but Hillside seems to have the closest matches to me

2. Which map has the worst (and which team has the advantage)? - Battlegrounds by a long way, defenders will win unless the other team is considerably better

3. Which single objective has the best balance? - The final objective on Hillside

4. Which single objective has the worst (and which team has the advantage)? - The final objective on Battlegrounds, for the defenders

5. Do you think every objective should be balanced or should there be an advantage for one team (attacker/defender)? - I definitely think balance should be towards attackers at the first objective and move towards even on each subsequent one

• Thank you :) I especially like your answer to 5, I had something similar in mind.

• @fvonb:

1. Which map has the best balance?

Darkforest for me. The first two objectives are slightly easier for the attacking side, but as soon as that cart reaches the tunnel leading to the sewers(end of objective 2) defenders have a reasonable advantage.
    Final objective in that map seems very balanced to me. With evenly divided teams the attacking team is more likely to win, but if the defenders have even just 1 “expert player” in their team the last royal family remaining will prove quite a challenge to slaughter.

@fvonb:

2. Which map has the worst(and which team has the advantage)?

Citadel. I like the map. Balance-wise… not so much. From objective 2 to objective 3 defenders have a huge disadvantage. Destroying the gates to the citadel is probably the most balanced objective in the map.

@fvonb:

Darkforest, second objective. The beginning of pushing the cart is obviously next to the attacking team’s spawn so it’s nearly impossible not to get it much further. Near the end of the objective however, the defending team is the one who spawns closer to the cart and thus has an easier time reaching it. That part, where the corpse wagon needs to be pushed the final few steps into the water; that’s my favourite moment in all TO maps.

Third objective in Hillside would have been my preference, however the downfall to this map is that usually only 10% of the defending team realizes that you can temporarily destroy the ballistae. If more people realized this(and timed it well, say you deal some damage to it and then deliver the final blow when the attacking team comes close) then the defending team would probably no longer feel as if they already lost.

@fvonb:

Citadel, third objective(freeing the slaves). The area is simply too big to cover for the defending team. I believe the defending team could really use a shorter respawn time in this map.

@fvonb:

5. Do you think every objective should be balanced or should there be an advantage for one team (attacker/defender)?

I believe TO maps should start slightly in the favor of the attacking team and end in the favor of the defending team(or at least with a unique and enjoyable objective for both teams, like killing the king). Not too much though. I’d hate to see every TO match end the same way.

• 1. Which map has the best balance?

Stoneshill

2. Which map has the worst (and which team has the advantage)?

Battlegrounds - defenders

Citadel first objective is always close - but the closest objective should be the last one

Citadel freeing the peasants, attacker advantage.

I think it should be staggered so that you can progress through the map with the advantage for the attackers until the final objective which should be evenly balanced.

• I’m gonna pretend Citadel doesn’t exist with my answers. These are from a competitive standpoint, too.

1. Darkforest - None of the objectives are a cakewalk for either team. Objectives are timed well with a good chance of finishing all of them except the last, depending on how long it took for the first 3 objectives.

2. Stoneshill - First objective is a slaughter in favour of the attackers. Second and third by comparison are ridiculously difficult. A good defending archer can completely shut down this map on his own, making it impossible to get close without being shot to bits, push the ram without being shot to bits, and of course you can’t get near him because he’s hiding in the castle. The wave spawn timer can also completely shit on a good push with some luck - sometimes you’ll have people respawn instantly every time. Other times, they won’t respawn at all until you’ve battered the door down entirely. (See 4. for 3rd objective.) This map has come to be my least favourite in the game besides shitadel.

3. Tough one. I’ll go with darkforest 2. It always seems like both teams have a decent chance here, and people rarely get fucked over by retarded spawns (Though, the random left/right spawn isn’t ideal). The fighting area has to be my favourite, with high flanks, plenty of cover from archers, but also a good amount of open space to fight in.

4. Stoneshill 3. This objective is so unbelievably broken. The defenders can play it in a such a way that it’s virtually impossible to finish. The king can run circles around the arena all day long. The objective forces you to break up your attacking force in order to prevent him from running, but then someone has to 1v1 him and his ludicrous health while everyone else fights outnumbered against an endlessly respawning wave of enemies. The respawn timers aren’t actually a big problem in competitive play, but the fact that the king can run away is. Force him to stay within a certain radius of the throne, or provide an alternate objective for the attackers that can’t just run away.

5. I don’t think every objective needs to be even for both teams. Some can be more one-sided, but if that’s going to be the case then the attacker-sided objectives must come before the defender-sided ones (build up extra time for the harder objectives) rather than the other way around (defend hillside 1 or get rolled). In the context of scrims, I prefer attackers to have a slight advantage overall.

• Thank you very much guys! Good infos for all level creators right here!