Stab Drops/Jumps: Is this a thing?

• So I “discovered” (or at least, discovered it for myself) a new attack style that I don’t think I’ve seen used. The issue is, I was playing in duels against players who were mostly worse than me, so I need some opinions on its validity, or lack of validity.

Start about 2-3 feet out of face hugging range, best with a slow-medium sword. Windup a stab pointed at their chest, then aim slightly above their head and jump. They’ll parry, and the extended sword blade will go over their parry box, then sort of fall onto their head, almost like dragging from above.

It seemed to work pretty well in the duel server I was on with the Greatsword, Longsword, and Zweihander, but I wasn’t playing against great players. That being said, I was still definitely going over blocks. The fact that I’ve never heard this discussed makes me think that it may simply not work very well against competitive guys, or maybe it’s just something people don’t tend to think about. Can anyone give me some perspective on this?

• I do this all the time with a 1 handed longsword or sword of war. Pretty easy to do with those weapons and effective. Unless they look up. InTim the last shield knight does this all the time.

• No, the onehanded version is different - because of the shorter windup and release its more like a jump stab á la Achilles (Troy).

I believe someone tried this (the twohanded version) on me. I was able to parry but it seemed definitely weird.

• this is older then lookdown overheads mate

• A lot of NA gr8sword users do this (RiptheJacker probably making it the least gimmicky).

• @CRUSHED:

this is older then lookdown overheads mate

Yup, also works with overheads. I think this is even on the combat tutorial Shara made. Worked better without bubble.

• @Albert!:

Yup, also works with overheads. I think this is even on the combat tutorial Shara made. Worked better without bubble.

Really? I saw that tutorial, and don’t remember anything about dropping stabs…it seems funny that this is a known attack. I’ve literally never had it used against me, or even heard anyone mention it. Must be like Ted Mosby and chameleons :P

And Lemon, no, I think you’re describing something else. This wouldn’t work with a quick stab, it needs to be fairly draggable. Which isn’t a word, according to spellcheck.

• @Mockingbirch:

Really? I saw that tutorial, and don’t remember anything about dropping stabs…it seems funny that this is a known attack. I’ve literally never had it used against me, or even heard anyone mention it. Must be like Ted Mosby and chameleons :P

And Lemon, no, I think you’re describing something else. This wouldn’t work with a quick stab, it needs to be fairly draggable. Which isn’t a word, according to spellcheck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=llnRxtazljg#t=376

• There’s really no point in using it when you could get the same result with a regular stab drag to their sides. Jumping eats up a lot of stamina and if they’re crouching and looking up, they’ll parry it every time.

• This post is deleted!

• The reason it’s hard to block is because people still expect a small amount of realism in Chivalry.

It’s like dragging to the side. Although the “piercing” tip of the weapon barely has any momentum the opponent still receives full damage. The exact same thing is happening in this case, but instead you “drag” from above instead of from the sides.

They will have to block the sword like an overhead instead of how they would normally block a stab.

• This is in the loading screen tips as well. It is a fun move though, if not the most efficient.

• @SHH_:

This is in the loading screen tips as well. It is a fun move though, if not the most efficient.

Eh…no, it’s not. Wasn’t in Shara’s vid either. Are people thinking of something else?

• @SHH_:

This is in the loading screen tips as well. It is a fun move though, if not the most efficient.

R.I.P. loading screen tips.

• It’s a pretty nice looking move to do but I would say it’s not that effective against competent players. Also there is the risk of getting stuck on their character model while you do it so they could just punish you with a quick lookdown OH. Why waste all that stamina to jump AND stab, when you can just do a simple stab drag to the side to try and get around their block?

• The attack is similar to where the tracers drop onto their head. Being an overhead or a stab just changes how you present it.