Automatic package cooking? can't import assets to level package.

• I’m quite experienced with UDK and unreal in general, however I’ve hit upon something strange which has me scratching my head.

I’ve set up a test level to play with some stuff including checking the asset pipeline. Normally I store the majority of the level’s assets in the level package (i.e. the one named the same as the level). This package only cooks when the level is cooked. However when I try and import assets to said package it gives me the failed to import due to cooked package error yet it doesn’t stop me creating new assets that do not require an import, such as materials.

I’ve not cooked it yet, and if I had it wouldn’t matter since I’m editing the uncooked version.

Is there some kind of automatic cooking going on here? I’ve never experienced this issue before and it’s left me somewhat perplexed. Creating an external package for 3/4 new assets doesn’t make sense to me so I was hoping to cram them in the level.

For reference I am storing my maps in \Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\ContentSDK\mymaps mostly to avoid any external reference errors

Thanks.

• My group and I are having the same issue at the moment. IF anyone can shed some light on the matter, it would be awesome!

• Developer

We just never tested that case because we never ever do that ourselves. The map package is an ugly place to put things. Considering that this isn’t actually preventing you from doing anything, I can’t say that this is going to change, sorry. You’ll just have to create a separate package for assets.

• I tend to put stuff in there if it’s just going to be one or two textures/meshes instead of dealing with a separate package. I just have flashbacks to the days when distributing more than one file was the death of your map because people are lazy, it’s less of an issue with Steam however.

EDIT: that said, do you know a way of extracting the package file out of the downloaded workshop files? I’d really like to take a look at some maps custom content in the editor but currently it just gives an error as they’re packaged up within steam

EDIT2: also any suggestions on where to store said external package?

• Developer

@NATO:

EDIT: that said, do you know a way of extracting the package file out of the downloaded workshop files? I’d really like to take a look at some maps custom content in the editor but currently it just gives an error as they’re packaged up within steam

Run the game, everything in UDKGame/CookedSDK/__CMWSDKFiles will extract into individual folders in UDKGame/CookedSDK

EDIT2: also any suggestions on where to store said external package?

Alongside the map? I’ve seen others just create a directory in UDKGame/ContentSDK to hold their map and other packages.

• Ok cool, I just wanted to double check you guys didn’t have somewhere specific you wanted to store packages.

Thanks for the assistance :)