How Chivalry Can Explode. Listen Torn Banner.

• I’m going to copy & paste a post I made in another thread. I would like it to gain more attention, so I’m making a thread for it.

If we’re gonna talk about what can help get Chivalry a bigger audience, then we absolutely need a better spectator system, or at least a mod for it.

http://i.imgur.com/bbtpC.jpg

This is a picture of the spectator system in Natural Selection 2.(It’s actually a very old spectator system from last year, it’s been improved on) If you recall a thread I made a while back, I showed that NS2 has had a MUCH more successful competitive scene, even though their playerbase isn’t much larger than ours. You can see all the information available immediately available to the spectator. Then we look at Chivalry’s…

In Chivalry’s spectator system, there is no information, at all. This may not be a big deal to very experience competitive players who know what’s going on, but if we want to attract a casual audience, we have to make all that information easily accessible. This would also help casters discern exactly what’s going on and provide much better commentary. We can look at other competitive games’ spectator systems for more examples.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/_CfpszI-k9U/0.jpg - CS:GO

http://i.imgur.com/sB7MF.jpg - Dota 2

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2013/01/Rain-vs-Flash-Tournament-of-Champions-Game-1.mp4_snapshot_11.47_2013.01.25_14.52.12.jpg - Starcraft II

http://editorial.xfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/League-of-Legends-Spectator-Mode.jpg - LoL

http://i.imgur.com/Rz6nZJo.jpg - Quake Live

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/I9E76kAJ-JU/maxresdefault.jpg - SMITE

If Chivalry had a spectator system as in-depth as this, and some publicity from a large Youtuber, or website, or person, the competitive scene could take off.

Of course, we would have to increase the average skill of pubbers substantially. In any competitive multiplayer game, the average skill of pubs are much higher than a regular multiplayer game. We need a better tutorial for sure. Right now there are rank 50+ pubbers who are worse than some competitive rank 20’s.

We can look at Natural Selection 2 again. By default (you can turn them off) during a game, tooltips will pop up telling you how to play the game and tips. With a small video and some commentary along with them. Showing new players how to repair structures, use their melee, acronyms, etc. Imagine if during a game in Chivalry, a tooltip came up teaching the player how to drag. The average skill would skyrocket. (along with some tooltips telling the bastards to parry).

Also in all of the games I listed above, on the main menu, there is a news bar that’s constantly filled with news about the competitive scene, tournaments, different teams, players, etc. with links to Twitch streams and Youtube videos. Just imagine how many more people would be interested in the competitive scene if on the main menu there was a big news section saying, “Hey! There’s a big tournament going on right now. Here are the links to streams of people casting the matches. Have fun!”

All in all, if what was listed above was implemented into Chivalry, we could see a massive explosion in competitive interest and average player skill. More people will instead of accusing good players of lag hakn, praise them for their skill and ask for tips and advice. When Fliflarren from NiP in CS:GO enters a pub, people don’t accuse him of cheating. People beg him for advice and tips. But when a good player enters a pub in Chivalry, (especially if he’s wearing a clan tag) he’ll be abused and accused of cheating, being a dirty ******, a ******, etc.

• Yes its a great idea, and its not that much work too, its just some interface changes

• I dot know about exploding but it may make it a but better for competitive games.

In case you didn’t notice this game already has big youtubers filming this game. Total biscuit often does chivalry video every now and again for example.

• @lemonater47:

I dot know about exploding but it may make it a but better for competitive games.

In case you didn’t notice this game already has big youtubers filming this game. Total biscuit often does chivalry video every now and again for example.

Imagine if Total Biscuit saw and made a Youtube video of a tournament with a brand new spectator system.

• I’m not so much into the competitive aspect of Chivalry, mainly because I think people join clans just to get a clan tag in front of their name that “looks cool”. But with that said, I agree with everything you said. This is a great idea.

Most of the image links are dead btw.

@lemonater47:

I dot know about exploding but it may make it a but better for competitive games.

TB hasn’t made a video about CMW in like a year.

• @Jon:

Most of the image links are dead btw.

Well what the hell, you’re right. I’ll try to get new ones.

EDIT: Okay, they’re all working now.

• @Flippy:

Imagine if Total Biscuit saw and made a Youtube video of a tournament with a brand new spectator system.

Nothing much would happen as I would imagine most of his subscribers already have the game if they are interested in a melee combat game.

You may of noticed that the big youtubers often dot do competitive stuff and none of them really focus on it. Even total biscuits tournaments are only with other youtubers. Not high level stuff.

More people would watch a bunch of idiots with swords than pros with swords. Just saying.

• @lemonater47:

More people would watch a bunch of idiots with swords than pros with swords. Just saying.

The most popular Twitch streams for all the competitive games I have listed above (excluding Chivalry) are competitive players, playing competitively. Or it’s a competitive player stomping a pub. People enjoy watching a good player much more than a bad one.

• actually TB is big into starcraft 2, plays ranked and was or is still pretty high up there, commentates on bigger matches on a separate youtube and has a twitch stream for this as well. He has the main channel for first impressions but he has other stuff thats bigger into compeitive starcraft 2, also has his own team that he sponsors. So yea i dont think he has anything against a competitive scene in gaming, it’s just not the focus of his MAIN channel.

• Well if anything all Torn bananas has to do is copy the Tournament UI from TF2

That and implement the ready up feature for competitive matches from Chiv+

The thing about Chivalry though is that there isn’t that much information to display.

At most it needs Health and Stamina status and Objective status bars.

And ammo counters for archers as it plays a HUGE role in LTS, maybe throwables, definitely fire pots. Its crucial like Ubercharges in TF2.

• @Flippy:

The most popular Twitch streams for all the competitive games I have listed above (excluding Chivalry) are competitive players, playing competitively. Or it’s a competitive player stomping a pub. People enjoy watching a good player much more than a bad one.

Thats twitch. I was talking about YouTube.

• @Flippy:

We can look at Natural Selection 2 again. By default (you can turn them off) during a game, tooltips will pop up telling you how to play the game and tips. With a small video and some commentary along with them. Showing new players how to repair structures, use their melee, acronyms, etc. Imagine if during a game in Chivalry, a tooltip came up teaching the player how to drag. The average skill would skyrocket. (along with some tooltips telling the bastards to parry).

We seriously need this !!!

• f**king 1

• Well in that case add more dragable weapons in the game then!

• @lemonater47:

Totalbiscuit is not currently aware that there even is a competitive scene in Chivalry. It’s too small and casual right now. If he did know about it, and took interest in it… the competitive scene would explode. Imagine if we tried to crowd-fund enough money to hire him to cast and advertise a major chivalry tournament? That would be HUGE. Literally hundreds of thousands of views guaranteed.

What is truly lacking right now is viewership. There simply aren’t enough people watching the streams and videos of competitive matches, which keeps it casual and limits sponsorship potential which is necessary to establish serious events with big prizes on the line and good hosting.

I agree with flippy that an enhanced spectator mode would be very useful in bringing us more viewership and exposure. The game itself is fun to watch, but it has to be entertaining to people who don’t even play the game. For that, you need good commentators and a spectator mode that provides a myriad of information to the viewer so they never feel lost. If they can understand what’s going on clearly, what the players are doing, and can see it… well, I think the game itself can take care of the rest.

I routinely watch Totalbiscuits commentate starcraft 2 pro matches. With the spectator mode and his commentary (often with a co-caster) I never feel at a loss for what is going on. I understand what the players are thinking, the strategies, and the game itself shows me the rest. That’s what we need. We need serious competitive mechanics and support if we want to be taken seriously.

• I agree that spector needs to be improved and Torn Banner needs to help support, organize and advertise the tournaments. Right now the streaming is somewhat of a joke because we know 30 people may watch it. We would take it a lot more serious if the matches were actually advertised and gained support.

I believe what Flippy is getting at here is critical to the long term success of CMW. Tornbanner really needs to be involved in these things. I mentioned this to Kimiko back in the day - no offense to her, but if the community lead doesnt even get involved, we are bound to fail.

~Mystikkal

• Adding an interface right now is good but you still have to watch people playing in third person so thats pretty pointless because you can’t really see what the player do, how he manipule his mouse etc, fixing the first person spec mode is more important and then maybe we should be able to make a viable record, this mean more stuff in youtube, more publicity for tbs aswell, profit.

• @The:

Imagine if we tried to crowd-fund enough money to hire him to cast and advertise a major chivalry tournament? That would be HUGE. Literally hundreds of thousands of views guaranteed.

Let’s do this. Total Biscuit and a co-co-co-co (competetive-community-co-commentator) cast the matches and explain some basics and ‘pro-tactics and moves’ during or before them with videos/live demonstration. Combo, riposte, feints, drags, backswings, CftP …

2.000 new players at once. Just look what he did with One Finger Death Punch, he reviewed (and praised) it on March 7.

• @Edmund:

Adding an interface right now is good but you still have to watch people playing in third person so thats pretty pointless because you can’t really see what the player do, how he manipule his mouse etc, fixing the first person spec mode is more important and then maybe we should be able to make a viable record, this mean more stuff in youtube, more publicity for tbs aswell, profit.

^^^^^^ Improving the first person camera to make it accurate and smooth would be a massive step in the right direction. Nabster got the first person spectate to work in Chiv+, but it’s very choppy and not completely accurate.

• The only chance for chivalry to explode is with a sequel and a fresh start. And even then, it completely depends on the community as well.

January 2013 patch ruined a chance.

The big NA tourney that we had via Height (which wasn’t mostly his fault btw). Ya’ll have only yourselves to blame.

• If TB got 25k for a mapping contest they should have something left to make this game more competitive relevant and to hire some youtubers and shit.