Noobstuff question

• So I’m performing all this Longsword dragging… until I get parried. Then I have no idea where my enemy is or wtf is happening.

So yes; noobquestion. How do I still know what the hell I’m doing/aiming at after dragging Longsword overheads to the max? I’m almost ashamed to ask.

• First thing is to see if they’re riposting or not (counter attacking off of a parry). If they are, then parry it like you would a regular swing and decide what the best play from there would be (riposte, wait a bit and feint, disengage, etc). If they aren’t riposting, try to get some distance so you aren’t stuck in an awkward spot and try to get yourself into a better position. Depending on their weapon, if you hit their parry and they don’t riposte you can do a quick lookdown and flinch them if they try to attack, or they parry it again giving you the advantage.

Really though it comes down to practice and figuring out what your next move is based on your playstyle. Try upping your FoV a bit too, anywhere from 110-120 works well and gives you quite a bit more situational awareness.

• obviously at the end of your weapon if you just got parried. o.O

• It takes a lot of hours to learn your ‘body’ and weapons in the game. Find the FOV that works for you (108 for me) and pick one main weapon to learn. You’ll get there.

• Spam the kick button.

• that’s one of the risks of dragging and other things like dancing… losing sight of your enemy.

Super high FOV kinda removes this issue (so yes, super high FOV past 120 should be an exploit).

• @NoVaLombardia:

(so yes, super high FOV past 120 should be an exploit).

FOV’s above 120 are required for monitors that are very large or for multi-monitor setups, other wise it looks like you’re looking through binoculars.

• @Flippy:

FOV’s above 120 are required for monitors that are very large or for multi-monitor setups, other wise it looks like you’re looking through binoculars.

i’ve never heard of a game where 120 FOV is too small no matter what you’re looking through. Provide a visual example. By the look of many videos out there that show >120 FoV i find that hard to believe.

• @NoVaLombardia:

so yes, super high FOV past 120 should be an exploit

If its higher than the maximum on the slider it is an exploit. It might be a reasonable idea to increase the sliders maximum (should stay significantly below 180 though).

The best way is probably to be aware of your surroundings and movement - if you don’t your enemy could also just step back and laugh while you are flailing around like an idiot and then move in for the kill. Then you should be aware what he is up to - which means no chaining of “blind” attack moves (accelerated slashes, reverse overheads, dancing, “look at my feet” attacks etc.). You should have a rough idea of your enemies position and his possibilities all the time (easy to say but its much harder in practice).

Also stay aware of your attack state all the time. Nothing is worse than suddenly spinning because you tried to drag an attack but got flinched. Avoid this like the plague.

• I think the best place to keep your aim after dragging is toward your left. A lot of times after you drag especially against 1 handers they’re going to poke you on their right so your left. Especially with broadswords, shortswords, most one handers and even claymore and SoW riposte stabs, i would end the overhead drag toward the left side so you can parry quickly over there. That way you’re ready for the fast stab riposte which you’ll have to be really quick on, or if they decide to do an alt slash or overhead on the other side, you would have enough time to react and change sides to parry on. (if they don’t riposte)

If you have a longer weapon like the longsword, if you see that you’re still in range if you were to back up a step or two WHILE dragging you could always do that in case you DO get riposted to create more space and time to react as well… it’s up to you and the situation though.

• A high FoV has to be used to compensate for the fact that you can’t turn your head without moving your weapon. Hopefully the new camera will help with this, as high FoV’s distort the screen a lot.