What is the default tick rate for most servers?

• Kinda curious.

• 30hz, which is crazy low if you ask me.
    Luckily, it’s easy to change the Maximum tickrate for a server.
    Unfortunately, nobody does it.

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/8288-Dedicated-server-download-and-configuration-guide/page6
    Last post

• Global Moderator

30?

That is low. But then again can a full 32 player server take it at 60Hz? As the server software for this game or any unreal engine game isn’t that great. Many RO2 servers run it really low because of the kind of game it is and you can increase performance.

I mean this game can lag on a monster of a server. Because it can’t use the full potential of the server.

• @B4RK:

30hz, which is crazy low if you ask me.
    Luckily, it’s easy to change the Maximum tickrate for a server.

Not saying you’re lying but can you prove that it works? Do the pings change or does that ‘showdebug’ command show different values? I somehow can’t believe that you just have to change a number in an ini file to raise such a crucial element.

• what is that in ticks per second?

• 30 ticks is default. Its terrible.

you can raise it alot, if your server is 24 slot. Above 24 slot can backfire

My 24 slot runs at 500 tick. its a big difference

• is that 30 ticks per second?

it seems that people like to put it at 60… can the game even handle anything past it?

• @CRUSHED:

its a big difference

What exactly is the perceptible difference?

And yes 30 ticks per second = 30 Hz.

• Global Moderator

@Eic:

What exactly is the perceptible difference?

Placebo effect.

For source games at least going above 100 can have issues and most people’s clients are set at 66hz. So 500hz is a bit extreme. Then again I don’t know about unreal whether its the same as source or not.

The tickrate is how many times per second the server updates the game world for the client putting it simply. But the client tickrate needs to match or be over the server tickrate to benefit from any change. It generally makes things smoother. Though it may increase ping and impact on server performance. People with low Internet speeds will also suffer badly if their client tickrate is high.

There’ll be a massive different between 30 and 100. Not so much of a difference between 100 and 500. And on source games like CS:S the server could stutter the game for everyone every now and again even going as far as to crash.

• ^keep believing that while i enjoy my 15 ping on my server + super smooth gameplay :3

• Global Moderator

Well the unreal engine probably works a hell of a lot differently than source. With counter strike when you changed the tickrate you also had to change something to do with FPS. Forgot the command line. But yeah that was years ago.

• @CRUSHED:

^keep believing that while i enjoy my 15 ping on my server + super smooth gameplay :3

What’s the name of the line to change this in the ini file?

• UDKEngine.ini on the server

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    NetServerMaxTickRate=500
    LanServerMaxTickRate=500

make sure you change the ones under tcpnetdriver and not the demorecorder

however, more then 24 slots = it backfires

if your server cant handle 500 fps (you need a strong server for 500 fps), set it to 200 first or so, cause it can backfire if your server isnt strong enough

• @CRUSHED:

UDKEngine.ini on the server

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    NetServerMaxTickRate=500
    LanServerMaxTickRate=500

make sure you change the ones under tcpnetdriver and not the demorecorder

however, more then 24 slots = it backfires

if your server cant handle 500 fps (you need a strong server for 500 fps), set it to 200 first or so, cause it can backfire if your server isnt strong enough

Thonx beb.

• just upgraded the server… its 1000 Ticks now and in netherlands… 4.3 ghz server, absolute beast

i get like 20-30 ping on it, padawan and kwazi joined it and they had like 95-100 ping which is pretty damn good considering theyre from NA

lol dutch people get 2-5 ping on it xD

• @CRUSHED:

I’m fairly certain that with my Ziggo-crapmodem I’ll still get at least 20 ping.

• @CRUSHED:

just upgraded the server… its 1000 Ticks now and in netherlands… 4.3 ghz server, absolute beast

i get like 20-30 ping on it, padawan and kwazi joined it and they had like 95-100 ping which is pretty damn good considering theyre from NA

Uhhhh holy shit. NA and EU TO tourney in the future?

• well if we make one, sure on this server haha

• how do you know what the server can handle

• Experimentation.