In Need of Knight Help!

• Hi everyone
    I used to play as MAA alot and I was pretty good at it, but I kind of felt almost cheap for playing as MAA, so I decided to try knight. I have been playing knight for the past week and I use the longsword. I can do decent but archers and especially MAA kill me. They just dodge out of my swing and then facehug and spam. I have almost no chance of blocking because of the removal of “panic blocking”. VGs and other Knights dont really bother me. Any tips?

• Ser Jorah tells me the best way to deal with fast highly mobile opponents is to bait them out with a feint. He likes to feint them, baiting them to dodge the attack, only for you to follow up with a strike. He also tells me using his alternate swing catches them off guard.

• Against Archers: Go into combo or just feint them. Don’t panic, stay calm. If he is spamming you with puny dagger attacks tank one and parry the second then riposte. Archers usually can’t leave your attack radius fast enough and must either parry or take the hit.

Against Men at Arms: Be threatening and save your stamina. He moves in you defend (NO riposte). Then you want him to believe you want to rip his head of - go straight at him. If he loses his nerves and dodges away - go straight after him (NO flailing around). Repeat until you got him exhausted. Attack him. If he stays calm and only dodges if you really attack him its about mindgames: YHe stays back? Go into recovery to not waste more stamina (don’t run into his attack range during this). He immediately attacks? Use either combo parry or a fast combo feint to parry. He moves in a little later? Go into combo and either strike him or feint to parry if he attacks too soon for this.

In general: Try to keep some distance. You can also kick them to knock them back and maybe even interupt their attacks. Hittrades usually work in your favor. Against players who immediately move in after you missed them try combo parry - its tricky to use but might prove its worth here. Also know your weapons reach and timings to avoid getting flinched and keeping the right distance (just in reach for the Longsword is out of reach for the lighter classes). And: Use the slash attack. It might appear noobish but its harder to dodge by footwork alone.

• Against archers, just pull out a fast weapon. Then you’re basically a slightly slower archer who can take a LOT of punishment.

Against MaA, it’s a different story, that dodge can really mess you up. Hittrades are your best friend in the world. Feinting a stab and following it with a slash can also help you catch people who dodge around you.

• Archers can generally be baited into an attack. As you rush into the archer step back just as you get into their range. 9/10 times the archer will attack trying to catch you out, instead you fooled them for a free hit. Then press your attack, maybe use a feint.

If they are one of the dangerous archers that don’t lash out then you have a glorious fight on your hand, use your weapons reach. If they are the super defensive type of archer, just feint them.

• The SOW is fast enough to bait MAA with a missed swing then hit them with the combo. You can do it with the longsword too but that’s almost always a hit trade while with the sword of war you can often hit and flinch them.

I also play a defensive battle with the faster classes. If you know how to parry properly you can block pretty much everything they swing at you.

Also do what toll said above^. I keep forgetting the bastard does that especially when I’ve just been fighting randoms As most people don’t back peddle at all, For anything.

• The only way to kill an equally skilled MaA if you are using a knight is if he makes a really bad mistake. All you can do is win the stamina warfare and hope you are not dead by the time his stamina is depleted.

• @MissingNo:

The only way to kill an equally skilled MaA if you are using a knight is if he makes a really bad mistake. All you can do is win the stamina warfare and hope you are not dead by the time his stamina is depleted.

If you’re good enough you can kill a MAA without relying on him making a mistake.

• Generally as a knight vs MAA, you have to play very aggressively. Charge straight at them, keep your guard up and ready for broad/norse pokes, and don’t let up. Feint and force them to dodge backwards and waste stamina. You can take a few more hits than they, but you have to watch your positioning or they will easily maneuver around you and your block. Make sure you can block stab drags with broad/norse, and always be ready to CFTP/riposte.

Basically to kill a high lvl MAA with a knight 2h, you need to force them to back dodge, feint quite a bit, and try not to miss consecutive parries.

If you switch to your secondary, norse or broad, you can also just stab hit trade with them. Again, utilize feints wisely to create space, force them to hesitate, or bait them in.

• @Flippy:

If you’re good enough you can kill a MAA without relying on him making a mistake.

not if he’s as good as you.

• @MissingNo:

not if he’s as good as you.

Ya, you can.

• @Flippy:

Ya, you can.

Semantics guys, leave it at that.

It is true that MAA have a natural advantage against knights though, even when equally matched in skill.

• @Flippy:

Ya, you can.

It takes much more mental effort for a good knight to defeat a good man at arms. Feinting, mind games, footwork, etc. The MAA pretty much has the same tools as you, plus dodge. He can fuck up as hard as he wants, and get away just fine.

• @Distortic:

Hi everyone
    I used to play as MAA alot and I was pretty good at it, but I kind of felt almost cheap for playing as MAA, so I decided to try knight. I have been playing knight for the past week and I use the longsword. I can do decent but archers and especially MAA kill me. They just dodge out of my swing and then facehug and spam. I have almost no chance of blocking because of the removal of “panic blocking”. VGs and other Knights dont really bother me. Any tips?

Distortic, you can’t panic block but you can insta block which gives you the same result. To insta block you have to decide it before attacking though, that’s the difference. Block as soon as you start your release and then it “panic” blocks just like before. If you wait until you miss then it’s too late. The window is short but I don’t know how short.

Or at least it was so a week ago, haven’t played for a couple of days so if there’s been a very recent patch then it might not be so.

• That being said panic parrying also was a pretty bad idea back then. All you got was an extremely unthreatening move that drained a lot of stamina.

• Absolutely. And this current version of it is very situational also. But I would try it in Distortion’s MAA scenario.
    But this - I call it insta block for now- is a stroke of genius from Torn Banner, or what do you think? It’s exactly the same, yet it’s fundamentally different. It’s brilliant. From Oh shit I fucked up get me out of here-manouvre it has now become almost an offensive manouvre.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention Evil Minion that I actually learnt that move from one of your forum posts so delayed thanks for it.

• Depends on where you’re facing them: in TO or LTS type maps I would not look for a straight up fight against an MaA, instead find a flank or come from behind. Don’t play their game, make them play yours. With archers I would pull out the old shield and get close enough to make them switch to melee and then back off a bit, as they have to get close with their little weapons you can win the fight with range. It’s fun to annoy archers like this; run up to them with a shield then when they switch to melee you switch to two handed and back up a bit or even turn and run a few steps. They will either chase you or switch back to ranged, either should give you the opportunity to attack.

In duels or a situation where you’re forced to fight them 1v1 try using the broadsword or norse sword yourself, the old swing and miss and get them with the combo can work well. Also mace/HWS stabs and stab ripostes can work well.

• well since the removal of panic parry baiting has become better at least that’s what I feel the knight is slow and has slow weapons every one knows that…… use that against them swing your weapon just a normal lmb when they see you just swinging they’ll rush in to land a hit but make sure to combo after your first swing by the time they get close enough ur 2nd attack is already about to get them this works against all classes except VGs cuz of their long weps best used agienst fast movers

sorry if it isant worded perfectly

• I’m at level 12, play knight in duelyards, equipment longswords, falchion, and throwing axes. Observations:

Knight advantages are high damage resistance and weapon reach; MAA superior speed and mobility. First things for knight to remember when facing a MAA: draw him out in to the center of the yard, where he can’t back you into a wall, keep him at blade distance, and get in one solid hit. Continue keeping him away and when he attacks, kick him and close in with your best attack. The kick will drain his stamina and the second hit will finish him. L to R swings are an excellent surprise attack - most expect R to L.

That said, I can count on winning 75 to 80% of MAA fights, but many are really good and can get in your face and stun you before you know it. Stave and club masters especially dangerous - get in the first blow or kick, keep your distance, and wear them out.

• Cat, I just wanted to say I commend you wholeheartedly. I see you on LG duels often, dueling and dueling against players with hundreds of hours over you, but you persist nonetheless no matter how hard it is. I find that awesome. Keep it up and you’ll become a God soon enough.