What to do with Norse, Broadsword

• While both of these weapons are more or less balanced, I feel like they are the only one used and all have some weird behavior to them. I can’t even recall the time I’ve seen a maa using the dane axe or even war axe (lol), let alone mace or morning star. I can’t blame them, why use weapons that are downright worse? So without crying “Op, Op plz nerf” I would like to come up with some good ways to make the “other” weapons viable again.

I can’t exactly put my finger on things to change, you guys are way better at that, so here are just a few ideas:

For broad, I feel like the range should be reduced or the weapons model should be adjusted. Maybe adjust the riposte a bit, but I don’t know how exactly without making it totally useless. Also take away the possibility to two-shot vanguards to give axes more of an edge again?

For Norse I’d say: Reduce the speed. But what would it give an edge over broad then? Reduce damage? I’m not sure about what do here without making it totally useless.

I also feel like some of the axes could need a buff of some kind, however, I can’t really tell in what way.

tl;dr : How to make weapons apart from norse and broad viable again?

• I know some will disagree with me but I honestly don’t think the Broadsword or Norse Sword need a change.
    True, Broadsword is far more common than any others but that doesn’t mean it’s the easiest one to score kills with.

The Morning Star could do with some love. It currently rests somewhat inbetween primary and secondary and as such often feels akward when trying to fill either of these roles. Either more damage and less speed, or the other way around would make me very happy. It’s still a very reliable way to quickly dispose of Vanguards due to it’s great reach for a secondary.

The Holy Water Sprinkler is still incredibly fast. Daggers can deal a great amount of hits if the enemy isn’t experienced in parrying. Shortsword has never been my weapon of choice but I’ve seen Archers do very well with it, especially it’s quick and unexpected stab. Flanged Mace is the ultimate secondary when it comes to Knight-slaughter.

For me, going Vanguard with the War Axe as secondary is a guaranteed killstreak. Enemies with shields had never gone down any easier.

My point being: most secondaries are on the situational side. I guess in duels Broad and Norse do have a slight advantage over the other secondaries but I still don’t see why they deserve a small nerf.
    Don’t buff any of the Axes though. Highly underrated, they do very good Chopping damage.

• @Rickvs:

Don’t buff any of the Axes though. Highly underrated, they do very good Chopping damage.

The entire line of axes are great, only real downside is actually being able to get close enough to Kendrick hit people with the bubble. Glad to see the bubble is getting toned down a bit.

• @Terminally:

…Kendrick hit people…

So my new HTC is auto correcting fricken with…Kendrick…-_-

• Don’t touch them, they are fine. Instead reduce the bubble size and the back dodge distance. Also buff the Falchion for another sword choice.

@Rickvs:

The Morning Star could do with some love.

It currently rests somewhat inbetween primary and secondary

There is no such thing. Its a relatively long and powerful but slow onehanded weapon. And its fine that way and pretty viable too. No need to change it into a more generic “primary” (I guess you mean “slow and heavy hitting”) or a more generic “secondary” (I guess you mean “fast but weaker damage”).

I mostlly agree that other choices are also quite powerful even though most of them suffer from the bubble as they got a weak stab and/or low reach. Waraxe is a prime example here: Its quite fast and hits pretty hard.

As MaA weapons the Saber, Cudgel and Broad Dagger have a little harder stand:
    Saber and Cudgel seem underwhelming at first (they are if used in a “strike-dodge-wait-strike” matter) but they are quite good in delivering multiple strikes (short combo and recovery times).
    The Broaddagger is the “master of none” of its row. Hunting Knife is faster, Thrusting Dagger hits harder. But I guess the versatility might make it worth using (it also parries slightly better*).

*If you plan on heavily using daggers as MaA you might consider picking up a shield (Heater preferred).

• IMO, I’ve always wanted the Norse to be left where it is and the broad to have a little more damage and slower combo speeds. I think like a knight though, and not like an MaA. Falchion needs slight damage buffs but needs to be careful not to return to how OP it used to be, especially with the bubble being reduced (thankfully they fixed its broken tracers too, which was the biggest reason it was so OP).

Honestly the morning star is very good right now, it certainly doesn’t need any buffs.

• broadsword is decent, norse is poop

• @CRUSHED:

broadsword is decent, norse is poop

Just stab feint and thats pretty much it.

• I’d rather not see these weapons get nerfed. I think the main reason you see so much of them is that they’re fairly long with good stabs, perfect for dealing with the bubble. Once it gets reduced, I think we’ll start seeing some more axes and knives again.

• The only time I have problems with the Norse sword is when I’ve mis-identified it as a broadsword and I mis-time things.

• @SOC:

Falchion needs slight damage buffs but needs to be careful not to return to how OP it used to be

Wait, wut?

• @CRUSHED:

broadsword is decent, norse is poop

norse has its uses.

hatchet is poop

• @NoVaLombardia:

norse has its uses.

hatchet is poop

RIP superdodging hatchet nova

• With the broadsword you can dash back and stab, and you will still hit because of the reach. It makes it very easy to play with, no skill whatsoever, thats why so many MaA use it. They simply don’t have to take any chances of getting in range of the enemy.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

RIP superdodging hatchet nova

anything you could do with a hatchet you could do better with the stronger weapons, especially back when dane axe was OP as fuck.

hatchet range, lol. HWS outclasses it in every way anyway.

• @NoVaLombardia:

anything you could do with a hatchet you could do better with the stronger weapons, especially back when dane axe was OP as fuck.

Yet Jyn’ohl makes people ragequit with the hatchet.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Bubble. Only bubble. Actually the Hatchet is faster and deals more damage. But its not surprising that as weapon that short gets destroyed by an invisible force field that prevents you from getting close enough to use it.

HWS has two things: A little bit more reach and a little bit more damage on the stab. But thats enough to perform better thanks to the bubble.

Hatchet had its uses and will probably have them again when the bubble finally gets removed.

• HWS has the same speed, except for the overhead (which is now .375), but the overhead is much harder to block for the HWS. The major difference is that HWS is significantly longer than hatchet.

hatchet is pretty lulzy for dueling, but it is way too easy to zone one in a team game, even during the superdodge days.

I believe we originally left off with norse having its uses, so it’s not completely poop.

• To quote someone….
    @Rickvs:

I know some will disagree with me but I honestly don’t think the Broadsword or Norse Sword need a change…

And yes, its true;
    But the fact is that compared to ALL of the other weapons they are too fast and slightly too damaging for the weapons that they are (in comparison to all of the heavier/bigger weapons).

inb4 rage tears!

SO in summery yes norse and broadsword work fine in the game, especially against each other, BUT IMO that is not what balance is about.
    Balance is not equal to: ‘it worx’ and ‘is ree-actible’.
    Balance is about how the weapons ‘integrate’, how they work together, and what outcomes they have.
    Many of the attributes of the broadsword and norse sword are out of balance compared to the other weapons AND how they work in the game. They do NOT work as seamlessly in the game compared to other weapons because they are too fast for the games inner workings.

• @giantyak:

But the fact is that compared to ALL of the other weapons they are too fast and slightly too damaging for the weapons that they are (in comparison to all of the heavier/bigger weapons).

Please compare them to the other weapons first before stating such a thing. They are neither too fast nor too damaging - maybe you might get this impression by looking at their strike base damage - but its cutting damage that falls off quite fast against armor.

No they are fine compared to their direct competition (other MaA primaries, Knight primaries) and the reason why they (currently) not work in the game is the goddamn bubble. This … should be removed before people starting to believe its the weapon balance and start to fuck it up by nerfing weapons that are perfectly fine just because an unneeded and stupid mechanic happens to give them an advantage.