Chivalry has poor visual aesthetics

• …and it’s glaring.

In the beginning it was very clear how Chivalry was supposed to look as there was an actual story behind it. The Kingdom of Agatha, whose banner is the dagger-like cross of blue and gold, and whose symbol was the white lion, was rebelled against by the Mason Order, whose banner was the black eagle surrounded by red and whose symbol was the black fist. The Agathians strut around with their blue and white tabards with gold embroideries while the Masons intimidate with their red tabards and black embroidery.

Here’s how team Agatha would have looked like before massive customization.

This is how I imagine the knights of a proud kingdom to look like. The Agathians look like a legitimate uniform army, save for the few veterans who have earned themselves personalized pieces of armor (helmets) to show their status, be it wealth (payed for accessories) or skill (veteran armor pieces.)

Jump forward to customizable tabards and insignias and what do we have now? An uncoordinated, disorganized, disoriented gaggle of misfit soldiers going into battle wearing whatever they feel like. Knights of Agatha are wearing mismatched colors, sometimes entirely flat white, blue, or gold, with emblems unrelated to the Agathian cause! What place do unicorns, dragons, beer mugs, skulls, chess pieces and the like have on a uniform army who’s symbols have always been the cross and lion? An army that can’t even decide on its uniform is nothing to be taken seriously.

Oh, and what’s next? Barbarians? The Agathians have let BARBARIANS into their ranks?! Are they mad? Those troglodytes can’t even figure out how to wear clothes, let alone fight in a war against civilized peoples. Their mere presence on the battlefield mars the entire image of the glorious Kingdom of Agatha!

Really TB, this has gotten ridiculous. I used to really enjoy the uniform nature the classes and teams used to have. Class silhouettes were clearly defined by character models, not just by weapons, emblems on clothing properly represented what faction each soldier belonged to, and color designs were always the same per class. Customization was limited to helmets. Back in those days, my hopes were that customization would expand in the form of different armor pieces, like gloves, boots, leggings, capes, and breastplates, all fitting well within the established themes for each class and both factions. Instead, what we all got was the “easy way” kind of customization that was simply just a few texture and palette swaps. This kind of customization was a really, REALLY bad way of going about it. Right now, because of all the different emblems, colors, and clothing designs, the visual aesthetics are thrown waaay off. There’s not even the slightest bit of uniformity amongst the teams because everyone runs around trying to look as “unique” as possible. Uniqueness isn’t something you want to see IN AN ORGANIZED MILITARY. Even guerrilla militias and insurgents in the modern day have more fidelity in their clothing designs than the Agathians or Masons, who supposedly exist in an era much more strict than ours.

What’s even worse is that we’re now going to see entirely new models with conflicting themes, entirely different silhouettes, and what’s much, much worse, overlapping silhouettes between different classes. Seriously, you can hardly tell the difference between knights and vanguards with these barbarian models. So not only do these models absolutely not fit within the originally established theme of the game, there’s essentially only 4 Barbarian models for the 8 classes they’re supposed to fill up.

TB, the visual aesthetic was already broken with the lazy version of customization we got. Why do you insist on making the game look even worse by breaking it further with new models that are even more out of place?

• Option to disable customization.

/thread

• Customization is awesome.

/thread

• @Sophax:

Option to disable customization.

/thread

Seeing that customization is how TB plans on getting more monies, it’d be a miracle for that to happen. Plus, with all the people who’ve suggested that in the past, don’t you think that would have happened already?

• Medieval armies had no uniform. There was no regulation armour and equipment. It was whatever you could get your hands on.

If they did customisation “properly” there would be no colour restrictions at all. Hell the English fighting the French wore french colours and insignia becuase they claimed to be the rightful rulers of France.

You’d get a bunch of personal and national emblems on people all sorts of colours as well. The way customisation is done now is exactly how I suggested it to them last year. If they got the idea off me then its my fault customisation is this way. Or they may of just had the same ideas as me anyway.

Though I agree barbarians are a bad idea.

• @DerFürst:

Seeing that customization is how TB plans on getting more monies, it’d be a miracle for that to happen. Plus, with all the people who’ve suggested that in the past, don’t you think that would have happened already?

Then what the point of this thread? To complain about the fact that nothing is going to change?

I wouldn’t say an option to disable customization would be that far of a stretch even if they want to make money selling models. TB take their time to release updates or how about you accept that there is customization so it would save TB a waste of time or just host your own server and mod that forces everyone to be a clone of each other.

• its a game

/thread

• At least you’re not throwing piss at each other and spending $40 on a tophat. shrugs

• I like the customization.

Medieval armies didn’t all wear the same uniform because of feudalism. They wore what their feudal lords would provide them which wasn’t always uniform.

• @Sophax:

Then what the point of this thread? To complain about the fact that nothing is going to change?

I wouldn’t say an option to disable customization would be that far of a stretch even if they want to make money selling models. TB take their time to release updates or how about you accept that there is customization so it would save TB a waste of time or just host your own server and mod that forces everyone to be a clone of each other.

You’re pointlessly defending them, and throwing out your logic to do so. There is no attacking here, only critiquing.

You’re also misunderstanding the connotations of the word “uniform.” A uniform theme doesn’t mean “precisely the same without variation” ala Nazis and stormtroopers from Star Wars, but rather it’s being used in this context to mean fitting within an easily identifiable theme. The lack of fidelity in the visual aesthetics of Chivalry makes it look uglier than it should. To me, the game simply looked better when customization was limited to helmets, but that doesn’t mean revert it back as if I were some obsessively nostalgic old man.

Since you want me to pose it as a suggestion, I’d like to see customization reworked. I’d rather see individual armor pieces and accessories be the main means of customization, with clothing patterns and emblems being secondary, and color changing being locked. Currently, color changing is the primary means of customization, and while it may look cool to the individual customizing, this kind of customization hurts the visual aesthetics of the game.

• @lemonater47:

Medieval armies had no uniform. There was no regulation armour and equipment. It was whatever you could get your hands on.

If they did customisation “properly” there would be no colour restrictions at all. Hell the English fighting the French wore french colours and insignia becuase they claimed to be the rightful rulers of France.

You’d get a bunch of personal and national emblems on people all sorts of colours as well. The way customisation is done now is exactly how I suggested it to them last year. If they got the idea off me then its my fault customisation is this way. Or they may of just had the same ideas as me anyway.

@lemonater47:

Though I agree barbarians are a bad idea.

IMO the barbarian skins for masons look bad as if they have been rushed and I also don’t think that they fit in chivalry medieval warfare.

• @DerFürst:

You’re pointlessly defending them, and throwing out your logic to do so. There is no attacking here, only critiquing.

Where did I throw out my logic? Is it unreasonable for TB to release an option that would disable customization for people who don’t want to deal with barbarians? Are you implying that a large amount of people won’t buy the models just because there is a very tiny minority that is not going to see them?

Defending what? Customizable colours? Personally I couldn’t care less tbh.

@DerFürst:

You’re also misunderstanding the connotations of the word “uniform.” A uniform theme doesn’t mean “precisely the same without variation” ala Nazis and stormtroopers from Star Wars, but rather it’s being used in this context to mean fitting within an easily identifiable theme. The lack of fidelity in the visual aesthetics of Chivalry makes it look uglier than it should. To me, the game simply looked better when customization was limited to helmets, but that doesn’t mean revert it back as if I were some obsessively nostalgic old man.

Yea thats relative.

@DerFürst:

Since you want me to pose it as a suggestion, I’d like to see customization reworked. I’d rather see individual armor pieces and accessories be the main means of customization, with clothing patterns and emblems being secondary, and color changing being locked. Currently, color changing is the primary means of customization, and while it may look cool to the individual customizing, this kind of customization hurts the visual aesthetics of the game.

That is again relative. I don’t realy find it to be an eyesore. I hardly notice it in teamfights.

Although I do agree that in FFA the very bright colours like pink do disturb me. Especially when you mix them with a half naked blonde barbarian with a ponytail. Just doesn’t seem right.

• If they had done customisation realistically you’d get masons wearing blue with the agathain lion because they are claiming to be the rightful rulers of the Agathian empire.

The customisation they have now doesn’t hurt the and in any way. Of anything it makes it quite a bit more immersive an realistic if you ignore the sandwich emblems. Then again in real life there was an Earl of sandwich. What if he had a sense of humour?? Though I don’t know when the sandwich was invented.

• @DerFürst:

Here’s how team Agatha would have looked like before massive customization.

A group of uniformed clones that look nothing like a medieval army. And whenever I join a random server I encounter an uncoordinated, disorganized, disoriented gaggle of misfit soldiers. Its fitting that they look like this.

If there was an organized team I am sure they could also organize more similar uniforms. No need to force uniforms on mere peasants.

• @lemonater47:

…Then again in real life there was an Earl of sandwich. What if he had a sense of humour?? Though I don’t know when the sandwich was invented.

Sometimes you make me actually belly laugh, but I can’t work out if you’re really funny, or if you have alzheimer’s.

• Custom armour pieces would be awesome, I’ll give you that. I’d absolutely love to see more customization in MW in general. Imagine War of the Roses-style armour and weapon customization with Chivalry’s classes and combat system? God damn that would be sick.

• @Mockingbirch:

Custom armour pieces would be awesome, I’ll give you that. I’d absolutely love to see more customization in MW in general. Imagine War of the Roses-style armour and weapon customization with Chivalry’s classes and combat system? God damn that would be sick.

I can’t help but imagine how painful it would be trying to mix and match each item to buy with real world money, perhaps if TBS copied the in game currency that WOTR has? With the option to purchase more gold coins if needed.

• Just install Chiv+ on your server and deactivate customization

• I wouldn’t buy anything if other people can just deactivate it. Pretty selfish opinion, but I play in first person, so why would I buy customization items if not to show them off?

• I have to agree with the original poster as he has a solid argument when talking aesthetics. I would also add that if the current efforts into improving the game were implemented first instead of the customizations this would be a different argument.