Tower shield formations

• Has anyone ever tried to use them? I’m actually curious.

• We made a testudo on battlegrounds.

Then the ballista joined in.

• I remember forming one up once. It was in a TO Darkforest match, defending side. About 7 of us went Knight+Tower Shield and formed a straight wall, blocking the cart from the masons in the tunnel near the sewer.

It actually felt relatively OP. With this many shield cooperating it’s almost impossible to hit one with the use of drags or feints, and taking your time to fully charge a kick is simply a death sentence with this kind of clusterfucks.

• It all seems like a good idea and then…firepots.

• pavise shield formations are betta, just can’t touch them or they break like dominoes

• Dark Forest TO last stage.
    Agathians pretty often block the last room with the peasants (experienced it only with point C). Pretty useful actually as long as there are still some people outside of your formation to pick off the blocked enemies.
    But then… firepots. But even under firepot bombardment it’s still pretty effective if done consequently.

• I’ve always said the threat of 1 fire pot is far greater than the threat of any shield walls. Then you start adding in multiple ones and it just becomes useless.

• you would be better off with a wall of 2-h longsword knights

• @SOC:

I’ve always said the threat of 1 fire pot is far greater than the threat of any shield walls. Then you start adding in multiple ones and it just becomes useless.

Nerf firepots imo. The damage shouldn’t stack.

• @Hitom:

A throwable with AoE damage that can’t be blocked or miss. What is it even doing in this game?

• @MissingNo:

A throwable with AoE damage that can’t be blocked or miss. What is it even doing in this game?

Giving newbs free kills.

• @Hitom:

Agreed. It should prolong the duration though.

Actually I would like it if oilpots were only oil - and the oil has to be set on fire by using torches. This would require more fireplaces though - but also give them a higher tactical value. Torches themselves should only do relatively low (blockable) blunt damage to targets not covered in oil. Fire arrows could work similar - low damage arrows with higher visibility until they hit an oil soaked target or a puddle of oil on the ground.

Back to Shieldwalls: They have their benefits - with proper timing you can circumvent the lower offense potential (no riposte) by blocking a strike and having your teammate attacking instead. With the help of combo block the formation can be closed quickly after this. Its situational though - as written above lots of firepots ruin your day but it works well when pushing an objective against lots of Archers.

Good thing is that you somewhat negate the shields disadvantages: as written above having your teammates attacking the enemy can replace riposte and they also make it harder to go for a kick daze or exhausting shield users with heavy attacks (even if you get stunned your team might protect you).

• @MissingNo:

They’re not exactly strong unless you get stuck. Sure, the vision impairing is pretty lame but if you get hit and calmly walk away you take something like 30 damage. Not exactly a powerhouse weapon. They also aren’t the hardest things to avoid.

• @Footbeard:

They’re not exactly strong unless you get stuck. Sure, the vision impairing is pretty lame but if you get hit and calmly walk away you take something like 30 damage. Not exactly a powerhouse weapon. They also aren’t the hardest things to avoid.

It’s often the difference between 3 hit-kill and 2 hit-kill. Not the hardest to avoid? you must be playing some really bad players, because, you literally have to be blind to miss an enemy using the firepot.

• We did a tower shield formation blocking off the pyre as Mason on Hillside. 5 Tower shields in front, with a couple Vanguards and Archers behind us to poke people and try to deter MAA with firepots.

It worked reasonably well until some jerk snuck by and lit the pyre.

• @Andrew:

We did a tower shield formation blocking off the pyre as Mason on Hillside. 5 Tower shields in front, with a couple Vanguards and Archers behind us to poke people and try to deter MAA with firepots.

It worked reasonably well until some jerk snuck by and lit the pyre.

Ofcourse it’s gonna work reasonably well against noobs. Still doesn’t make it a viable tactic against seriouse opponents.

• @Hitom:

The damage isn’t stacking.

• We had a community event of tower shields vs 2 hand axe knights. Long story short, the tower shield team had much more trouble. It was fun to watch 9 dudes running tower shields in formation though.

• Not sure, kicked down shieldwalls on the last objective of Darkforest and just ran past them and got the family members while no one knows what happend as they obviously expexted an attack.

• Being part of a shield wall are some of the best moments I’ve had in this game but is that any reason to nerf/scrap firepots?

God I hope it is.