Direction of overheads

• I recently tried different weapons instead of always playing the same loadout. What really throws me off is the direction of the overheads. The Longsword overhead for example goes from top right to bottom left, while the overhead of a Warhammer goes from top left to bottom right.

This is really irritating, especially when you switch between primary and secondary weapon. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to make all overhead from right to left and all alternate overhead from left to right? Or maybe give us the choice to determine which attack is which for each weapon.

What do you think?

• That doesn’t bother me at all. It’s really a matter of getting used to it. It makes the weapons feel different not only in speed/range/damage, so I think it’s a good thing.

• Some of the angles of some weapons overheads seem to be at a much steeper angle so when you combo overhead with like the double axe, for example it is very easy to miss an opponent when they get caught in between the ''V" pattern of the swing combo. So I kind of understand what you mean.

• No that’s ridiculous. That’s part of the charm of using a new weapon. There are different anims. Some anims change whether you’re using a shield or not. What you’re saying is ‘I want to use the same weapon but with differing stats’. You have to learn each weapon. That’s the point. Some polearms have alt overheads that swing bottom left to top right like a diagonal uppercut. What a silly thing to say OP. You’ll get used to it soon enough.

• This is why you don’t become a one trick pony.

• In my opinion, what you just wrote is ridiculous.

Imagine I am a real Knight in medieval times and I have used a Longsword my whole life. If I want to hit my enemy on his left side, I raise my arm to the right and slash down to the left.

Now after all those years I want to try a Warhammer in a mêlée. I face my first enemy and want to hit him on his left side. I do what I always do, raise my arm to the right and slash down to the left. Wow, my arm did the same movement and I hit his left side. Muscle memory was all I needed. The warhammer doesn’t enter a black hole or leaves our dimension and hits my enemy on his right side. Everything is fine, I can use a Warhammer and basically do the same attacks with the same ‘input’. The effect on the enemy is different, the reach is different, maybe some Longsword attacks don’t make sense with a hammer.

Back to Chivalry, all day I roll my mousewheel down to hit my enemy’s left side with my Longsword. I don’t have to actively think about which button I have to press, I just do it. Then I pick up a Warhammer to have some fun and I roll my mouse wheel down to hit him on his left side, but what is that? It goes the the left and slashes down to the right. Suddenly my muscle memory fails me, I have to plan every attack and think about which button I have to press actively because the developer of the game decided that an overhead for a Warhammer is defined as slash down to the right instead of the left.

That’s not charme, that’s just counter intuitive and bad design in my opinion. Mastering a game should take skill but this is an artificial burden, disconnecting the player from the character.

• Hold down the alt key and get that into your muscle memory.

• Please don’t post those silly one-liners in my thread that don’t add anything to the discussion. I know how to fix this on my end. I could even write a bind that switches OH and alt OH on button press, this still doesn’t make it right.

Just imagine you’re playing Battlefield. You have a G3. You shoot with the left mouse button and aim down sight with the right mouse button. You’re weapon is empty, you pick up a M16A2 with an attached M203 grenade launcher. Now shooting is on right mouse button, shooting a grenade is on left mouse button and aiming down sight is on mousewheel down. GG

• It’s called varied gameplay/diversity, get with the program.

• Its a one handed weapon. Wen holding that in your right hand it better to wind up the way the game does it as you take up far less space to do a good windup. Grab a hammer and start swinging it around and you’ll see what’s better.

Now grab a shovel and start swinging that around. You’ll get far faster swings with more force behind them doing it the way the game does it going from the right. If you are right handed of course.

Left handed its essentially the same just the other way around.

It makes sense.

• Thanks for your input guys. Really appreciate it. I feel better about myself now.

• Honestly, he’s got a point. I’m all for varied animations, as they allow so much more diversity than the damage/range/speed trio of most FPS weapons. That being said, saying that a Maul overhead and a Norse Sword overhead should be very different isn’t the same thing as saying they need to be inconsistent. Having one hit at a sharp angle and one at a shallow angle is one thing, but there’s no real reason to say that the side needs to change with each weapon. What’s wrong with the scroll wheel reacting consistently, even if the actual animation attached is very different? Having it otherwise isn’t “diversity,” it’s just kind of an odd choice, imho.

That being said, I personally don’t really have an issue with the way things are, or feel that any dev time should be dedicated to changing it. But I do see where you’re coming from.

• Thumb mouse button should be linked to alt-overhead. Except with vanguard polearms, where it does a badass-looking upward left-right swing that I still haven’t figured out how to use effectively.

I like the concept of two-handers going right-left and the reverse for one handers. Makes sense IRL too. Assuming you are right-handed, a left-right overhead would be more awkward because your wrists would be crossed over. Not only that, but the power of the swing is supposed to come from the lower hand and that would be far more difficult left-right when you think about it.

On the other hand (no pun intended) when executing a right-left attack with a one hander, you would be wide open during the “windup” phase, assuming you didn’t have a shield. Whereas with a left-right attack you would be better covered because your weapon would be across your body, so you could parry a stab much more quickly.

• Is the advertising blurb they said they based combat off actual combat.

All one handers go left to right. And all two handers go right to left. Its a thing you pick up after 10 hours played.

• @Mockingbirch:

Honestly, he’s got a point. I’m all for varied animations, as they allow so much more diversity than the damage/range/speed trio of most FPS weapons. That being said, saying that a Maul overhead and a Norse Sword overhead should be very different isn’t the same thing as saying they need to be inconsistent. Having one hit at a sharp angle and one at a shallow angle is one thing, but there’s no real reason to say that the side needs to change with each weapon. What’s wrong with the scroll wheel reacting consistently, even if the actual animation attached is very different? Having it otherwise isn’t “diversity,” it’s just kind of an odd choice, imho.

That being said, I personally don’t really have an issue with the way things are, or feel that any dev time should be dedicated to changing it. But I do see where you’re coming from.

Thanks for some meaningful input. I don’t have a big problem with it either. Like you said, it’s an odd choice. Real life is not really an argument here, because in real life you know what you’re doin with your arms. You don’t press a button and then are commited to a movement that may or may not be the movement you wanted.

• This post is deleted!

• Long time lurker, first time poster. What made me come out of hiding and post?

This:

@lemonater47:

Its a one handed weapon. Wen holding that in your right hand it better to wind up the way the game does it as you take up far less space to do a good windup. Grab a hammer and start swinging it around and you’ll see what’s better.

Now grab a shovel and start swinging that around. You’ll get far faster swings with more force behind them doing it the way the game does it going from the right. If you are right handed of course.

Left handed its essentially the same just the other way around.

It makes sense.

First sensible post I have seen Lemonater make.

Oh and Eic the Stouthearted, is meaningful input only possible if it matches your opinion?

• Well I know in the game what I am doing with my arms. If you play more than one weapon and class you just know what way all your swings are going. Its not an odd choice. Its a natural choice.

• You and your 2nd account are on my ignore now.

• Game design wise you are correct in that there should be some semblance of consistency in button press and actions between most all classes when it comes to melee attacks. It is as if one animator was right handed and another was left handed when it came to certain weapon attack animations. I do feel your pain as I switch classes that have opposing overheads and attack angles. It usually takes me a few melees to get back into the swing of things. Pun intended.