Spartans: A rational balance discussion from an experienced player

• @airborne101st45:

We both have been playing since DW was available to the public…we remember the OP shield bash perfectly. Why can’t you post a nice and constructive comment without being rude?

You thought the shield bash was OP when it was released to the public in September? You should of seen it in June.

• Just make those throwing spears blockable. Why do they get the only ranged throwing weapon that can’t be blocked? Spartans shouldn’t be a ranged powerhouse class…

• @wyrda78:

Just make those throwing spears blockable. Why do they get the only ranged throwing weapon that can’t be blocked? Spartans shouldn’t be a ranged powerhouse class…

When they were blockable they were far too easy to block.

• And of course the devs haven’t released a new patch in months.

• @lemonater47:

You thought the shield bash was OP when it was released to the public in September? You should of seen it in June.

I did…I’ve been playing since early release.

• I feel like the compaints against spartans are slightly exadurated. While being “OP” i would say they are hard to use. and infexable. and their swords really are not all that. i can see a slight damage redux on the swords but reallly i think they are okay. But yea. pirates need a buff desperately . and i will agree to the damage redux on the dory. but ehh i still think they are easy enough to doge in most cases…. unless your a pirate of course

And please dont accuse me of defending my “favorite” class… because really its my worst class aside from pirate

• @airborne101st45:

I did…I’ve been playing since early release.

June was not early release. Early release was the beta in September. Alpha was the 30 people picked to play alpha.

• Comparison to pirate isn’t very fair, since everything about pirate was nerfed into the ground due to a mix of some valid but mostly invalid complaints.

Anyway, I identified Spartans as a cut above the other classes some time before release but focus was mainly on the main outliers at the time which were the much maligned pirates and the rather useless Vikings, who were respectively nerfed and buffed with their core design problems remaining intact. Spartans would be much easier to tweak down because their design is solid. Pirates will always be controversial because of guns, Vikings are hard to really address because there are still several large inconsistencies with the berserk and dual wield mechanics.

• Spartan’s 1 hit dory throw to the body is pretty crap. Even if they hit you in the toe it’s most of your life. Dory to the toe plus super hard to block shield bash = dead. I’ve said shield bash was crap since beta. They just need to give them the other 2 sword swing directions and get rid of it. Makes no sense anyways. Pirate being buffed…please no. They are so powerful if they work as a team, or with their team. Pirates are an amazing support troop, they don’t need any buffs. (I do like pirates, I don’t like getting killed across the map).

• @Helrin2:

Spartan’s 1 hit dory throw to the body is pretty crap. Even if they hit you in the toe it’s most of your life. Dory to the toe plus super hard to block shield bash = dead. I’ve said shield bash was crap since beta. They just need to give them the other 2 sword swing directions and get rid of it. Makes no sense anyways. Pirate being buffed…please no. They are so powerful if they work as a team, or with their team. Pirates are an amazing support troop, they don’t need any buffs. (I do like pirates, I don’t like getting killed across the map).

Pirates aren’t even powerful in a team. As samurai you can group charge a team of pirates across open ground and win.

• I don’t understand why everyone keeps complaining about the Spartans being OP. They are very hard to use considering that most of their attacks are thrusts. A phalanx is pretty powerful if they advance close to each other with shields up and chucking spears, but that’s the point! A lone Spartan is easy pickings for most everyone as he only has his tricky shield bash to his advantage. As a Pirate or Ninja, I feel that dueling a Spartan one on one is far easier than a Viking, Samurai or, God help me, a Knight. Think about it, the Spartan can’t even spam LM like almost every other class.

The only real time I seriously felt that a Spartan was ridiculously overpowered was when a player always managed to hit me every time with his thrown javelins even as I tried to dodge everywhere as a Ninja… pretty sure he was using an aimbot tho…

That said, the Spartans could use a minor nerf to their Falcata, it is unnecessarily powerful. That or give them more swords or make the other ones more useful.

• @Chupacabrozo:

I don’t understand why everyone keeps complaining about the Spartans being OP. They are very hard to use considering that most of their attacks are thrusts. A phalanx is pretty powerful if they advance close to each other with shields up and chucking spears, but that’s the point! A lone Spartan is easy pickings for most everyone as he only has his tricky shield bash to his advantage. As a Pirate or Ninja, I feel that dueling a Spartan one on one is far easier than a Viking, Samurai or, God help me, a Knight. Think about it, the Spartan can’t even spam LM like almost every other class.

The only real time I seriously felt that a Spartan was ridiculously overpowered was when a player always managed to hit me every time with his thrown javelins even as I tried to dodge everywhere as a Ninja… pretty sure he was using an aimbot tho…

That said, the Spartans could use a minor nerf to their Falcata, it is unnecessarily powerful. That or give them more swords or make the other ones more useful.

DW has to be balanced around team vs. team, not duel or FFA. Spartans are a big cut above the other classes in that situation, and aren’t necessarily weak individually like, say, a pirate.

• They are, actually, very individually weak in comparison to the other heavy melee classes; Samurai, Viking and Knight. I honestly feel that the Spartans excel far more at being a support class than actual offensive units, pair 'em up with anyone else besides just other Spartans and they can provide excellent cover, but they are very limited in their options all by themselves. The common Samurai vs Spartan death match is a good example of this, Samurai will win 80% of the time, simply because they have tons of options in comparison to just forming a phalanx, which is all that the Spartans can do.

• Spartans are ridiculous, I think the devs have watched this “300” movie one too many time.
    The first thing they need to fix about those Spartans is how fast they can recover from a kick before putting their shields back up.
    This time should be at least tripled.

• To be honest, most of the time I see the Vikings win deathmatches but yea, the Spartans need some work. Everything about them makes the pirates look like shit. Hell, even Yumi spam can make ranged pirate look weak. I think if the ranged javelin spam was reduced for the Spartans everything would be fine. Also, why are the Spartans using falcatas? That’s an Iberian weapon, not Greek.

• Spartans are by far the best class in DW, if you disagree you’re retarded.

The other classes need to be buffed or spartan needs various small nerfs.

• I find that pairing a Sarissa Spartan up with virtually any other Spartan results in a pretty devastating combo, assuming the guy with the sarissa knows what he’s doing. The effect is noticeable in other classes with any decent polearm, but seems to be especially pronounced when everyone always has a shield. When they’re not all trying to avoid skewering each other, they make excellent shock troopers.

Having seen and fought people like EnSvensk and Irish Canadian, I’m honestly not quite sure what to make of spartans 1v1. They never used the falcata, (for reasons I like to think are fairly obvious) but were still able to pretty easily tear most people to bits. I’m not sure whether to attribute this to their ability to block almost indefinitely or individual skill, but they’re definitely outliers. Most Spartans I see getting decent scores 1v1 usually rely on the falcata or point blank spear tosses, which I also think need a nerf (The point-blank, not the toss itself).

• Spears that combo for days and super long reach scare me…

• Why combo for days? All they gotta do is throw it at you and you drop like you’ve been hacked or something.

• the Sarissa can’t be thrown that’s that extremely long spear with the small shield