"Failed to create a D3D9 device. This can happen if the desktop is locked. Exiting…

• I tried to change resolution, launch in windowed mode. Even tried to launch as XP SP3 and by administrator.
    Still game crashes and tells “failed to create a D3D9 device. This can happen if the desktop is locked. exiting…” .
    I can see some problems in game log, but im too “Stupid Peasant” to find clue.

• update your vid card drivers and verify all your chiv files. That should do it since d3d9 is reference to graphics card.

• @Retsnom:

update your vid card drivers and verify all your chiv files. That should do it since d3d9 is reference to graphics card.

Forgot to say, that i already updated drivers and checked cashe.

• If game crashes even after reinstalling - try to delete config files. It helps.

• Developer

Try in windowed or border less mode; some other program on the computer may be messing up full screen when the game tries to start

Right click the game in the Steam library, click Properties, click Set Launch Options, and add either
    -borderless
    Or
    -windowed

(choosing safe mode in the launcher will also force windowed mode)

• This can happen when I somehow manage to launch 2 copies of the game at once.