New shields

• So after playing with shield set ups for a while I finally realized that we don’t have much of a selection or variety in terms of shields. Yes we have all the main shield category’s covered but that’s it. bucklers heaters kites towers and pavasive we have one of each but that doesn’t mean we cant add new shields or at least different kinds of shields.

as far as new shields all I can think of now are a real buckler shield and pierce shields. There might not be many new shields out there but certainly there are different variation of the types of shields we currently have in game

Maybe a type of tower shield that reach’s further down to your feet but costs even more recovery time from hits

a heater shield that in exchange for protection offers better ripostes

a pavasive shield for archer…… that works

pierce shields there small like the current buckler but have a spike on them for increased damage… but that creates 2 problems either we make the bash block able since it could do notable damage or we’ve got people spamming unblock able attacks… so ideas?

and while were at it could we make it so shields can still block attacks while doing a shield bash

of course all these ideas should only be looked at until the big problems facing chivalry are fixed

anyway id love to hear the rest of your ideas about new or different types of shields that could be implemented in game.

• I think they should sort the problems with shields first, such as make their visual appearance match up with their hitbox, and also lower the time it takes to raise and lower shields.

Perhaps make shields have a passive block ability for melee weapons not just arrows (if they are hit on the shield while the player isn’t blocking. Although this would need testing.

Perhaps just make new optional skins for shields to add to the variety.

And shield bash is blockable. Just.

• If shields had passive blocking shield play would actually work.

Thats the reason they were used.

• @zombojoe:

If shields had passive blocking shield play would actually work.

No.

If you weren’t braced behind the shield at all you’d get the shield smashed into you and if you are really unlucky the weapon went through the shield and still got you.

• @zombojoe:

If shields had passive blocking shield play would actually work.

It wouldn’t just work, it would be so absurdly overpowered that there would be absolutely no reason to not use one. The Vanguard class would die immediately. Think of the advantage you’d gain by having half of your body essentially untouchable at all times. Yikes.

• @lemonater47:

No.

If you weren’t braced behind the shield at all you’d get the shield smashed into you and if you are really unlucky the weapon went through the shield and still got you.

I was thar man

• You could do it, just make any weapon impact on a non-raised (non-braced) shield take significant stamina damage, perhaps as much as 30% or so. That way it would take very little time to stun out an opponent who doesn’t use his shield well.

• @Toll:

You could do it, just make any weapon impact on a non-raised (non-braced) shield take significant stamina damage, perhaps as much as 30% or so. That way it would take very little time to stun out an opponent who doesn’t use his shield well.

This could work, but like others have said, passive blocking could be OP, hence why I said it would need testing. I still think shields need some kind of buff to make them more viable. Right now they are pretty horrible.

• If shield’s passively blocked they would need to be destructible I think. Give them hit points in proportion to their size but you can pick up a new one at an ammo box. That would be realistic and more interesting.

• I think shields are alright

• @Dr:

If shield’s passively blocked they would need to be destructible I think. Give them hit points in proportion to their size but you can pick up a new one at an ammo box. That would be realistic and more interesting.

That would be really cool. Give Axes bonus damage vs shields and I think we have a solid new mechanic.

• Another idea is, that the shields block passive, but still flinches the shield user if he isn’t blocking actively.
    Or smth like that.

• Shields are in a good place now. Just make the tower shield somewhat usable. I’ve used it for several hundred hours, and it is basically the most useless shield in the game.

The kite and even buckler are far superior.

• Shield is bad in the current meta. Maybe with the bubble reduction it will get more useful, we’ll see.

• Shields are great where they are. I would say at least update knight to get to be able to use heater shields with non flail setups

• We need bubble guns for archers to counter shields. This could be barbarian only weapon and huge knockback with fun ragdolls. Make nao pl0x TB kthx.

• Passive blocking with shields would be so insanely overpowered. Shields are pretty balanced as they are now. They provide good cover against archers, they can have a good although limited role in melee situations, and the benefits/drawbacks of equipping them are fairly balanced.

• We don’t like bubbles around here.

• @SHH_:

Shields are in a good place now.

I guess it is balanced, it is annoying the delay to raise a shield though.

• @gregcau:

I guess it is balanced, it is annoying the delay to raise a shield though.

Yeah I think that’s the one thing that needs changing. Revert back to the way it was or at least halve the current time, so that it starts blocking from half way up.