Sounds from behind

• Is it just me, or do you almost never really hear people approaching from behind?

• I have a good headset (Logitech G930) and I can rarely ever hear other people’s footsteps until they’re right on my ass. Kinda annoying.

• I’m using standard Logitech speakers and I pretty much always hear people approaching from any direction. (Unless they’re sneaking of course, which produces no footstep sounds).

Not to mention people never get the chance to approach me from behind. Whenever I’m not in direct combat I switch to 3rd person to better view my surroundings, and I set the “change perspective” keybind to something easier after being “stuck in 3rd person” for too many times. Sucks to be using the wrong perspective and not having the time to change it back :D

• I hear other people easily enough.

• I usually hear people’s footsteps from behind. Footsteps in this game are good.

• @lemonater47:

I usually hear people’s footsteps from behind. Footsteps in this game are good.

When I pay attention, I can usually hear people around barriers 3-4 metres away.

Though, one thing I would REALLY like in this game is the ability to distinguish height with footsteps. Often on throne room when I’m under the walkways or above, I cannot tell whether or not the footsteps behind me are behind and above or behind and below. (this is important as an archer, as I am forced to cancel my shot if there’s a possibility some VG is preparing to charge me from behind)

• @Userper:

When I pay attention, I can usually hear people around barriers 3-4 metres away.

Though, one thing I would REALLY like in this game is the ability to distinguish height with footsteps. Often on throne room when I’m under the walkways or above, I cannot tell whether or not the footsteps behind me are behind and above or behind and below. (this is important as an archer, as I am forced to cancel my shot if there’s a possibility some VG is preparing to charge me from behind)

True that is an issue.

• I often turn around to see if it’s an enemy or ally behind me. Switching to 3rd is probably better because if it is an enemy you can start a swing before turning and hopefully catching them off guard, but I never really do that.

The worst is hearing the Vanguard charge scream, it’s so hard to tell which direction it’s coming from and due to the bugginess of the charge, even harder to tell where they will end up.

• Really, I often hear the direction the vanguard is coming from (it feels pretty good to be mid fight with someone, only to rapidly 130deg turn and parry a leaping vanguard).

My guess would be that peoples differences in this thread are from mobo on-board sound cards. The engine handles 3D sound, at least on 1 plane, I know I have trouble telling noise from above and below, however I get pretty good accuracy for sounds surrounding me.

I use 2 Channel Headphones. Sometimes if I messed with my sound settings and accidentally left 5.1 sound on using 2 channel headphones Sound to the left and right of me are really loud, those from in front and behind are virtually silent.

Really, we should be using a discrete sound card or a mobo with an excellent audio chip(s).

That being said I find my ability to hear footsteps is directly related to how calm my mind is. If I’m gunked up in the mind I often don’t perceive the more subtle sound clues such as approaching footsteps, not in time anyway yet my hardware is the same. Turning up the headphones doesn’t help too.

Oh, also the other factor is how many sound channels you have enabled in your *.ini if you only have 24 sounds for instance and all channels are in use, you won’t hear the new foot steps sounds play at all.
    Unfortunately this engine seems to really pull CPU cycles for sound events, so the more channels you have running at once, the more CPU power you need. It decompresses on the fly I think.

• I can only hear knights, unless they’re like 1-2 meters behind me.