Idea for Knight Ability: War Cry

• Knight being the anvil of his team while his team mates are the hammer, I think giving the Knight an ability that allows him to help his team mates would be a cool feature. Basing this off the discussion I read about Knight balance so here I go.

War Cry 1: When used, Knight uses stationary war cry (think of it as a stationary battle cry except with a different animation that plays out over X seconds) and every team mate in a very small AoE around the Knight who has been idle state for X seconds will receive a small HP/stamina regen boost. Does not stack with other War Cry effects and has some form of visual aid or audio cue to show units under the effect. This effect can be interrupted by damage taken and has a cool down of X seconds.

War Cry 2: A Knight using battle cry while sprinting (there would have to be a special audio cue played each time that all share the same length of time), will give every team mate in a very small AoE around the Knight a slight speed boost. The speed boost would only kick in at the very end of the battle cry finishing (this would mean that you would need to perform the complete audio cue of the sprinting battle cry before the effect takes place). Does not stack with any other war cry effect. This effect can be interrupted by damage taken or stamina loss (jumping does not count however). Lasts X seconds.

Turns the Knight more towards a team orientated role (more so than he already is), promotes smarter team play and gives a larger range of tactics available to Chivalry. Can be punished or shut down by either dealing damage to the stationary Knight who uses War Cry 1 or by forcing the Knight who uses War Cry 2 to interrupt his actions with some form of stamina loss or action (if he parries for example, this would interrupt it maybe?). Dealing damage to units effected by the war cries would also interrupt and cancel any boost they received.

Thoughts/Comments?

• Essentially Magic abilities.

I think players already get a boost when everyone is charging and screaming. Not an artificial boost in the game but a psychological boost.

• @lemonater47:

Essentially Magic abilities.

I think players already get a boost when everyone is charging and screaming. Not an artificial boost in the game but a psychological boost.

Pretty much. But I still think the Knight being able to get others on his team pumped up would be cool and at least give him SOMETHING, or some form of a special ability.

Agatha Knight could say some inspiring words about courage and glory. Mason Knight could just scream even louder than usual and maybe a few choice words about ripping the enemies spines out.

• As magic as the Archers backstab, the lifeforce linked Pavise and projectiles, the short ranged MaA blink and the Vanguard charge attack (that does not require a proper charge).

• AoE that made me laugh.

CMW2 with MMO elements.

• @gregcau:

AoE that made me laugh.

CMW2 with MMO elements.

AoE effects haven’t always purely been a MMO thing.

Got anything actually worthwhile to add though? If not then go back to crying in your archer threads please kthnx.

• Meh. I really don’t see the knight class as underpowered enough to receive MMO abilities.

I would much rather see just a tiny boost in swing and pierce resistance. This way he’ll be more truthful to his tanky nature but the Maul(being blunt damage) and the Polehammer will still be effective knightmares.

• @Rickvs:

Meh. I really don’t see the knight class as underpowered enough to receive MMO abilities.

I would much rather see just a tiny boost in swing and pierce resistance. This way he’ll be more truthful to his tanky nature but the Maul(being blunt damage) and the Polehammer will still be effective knightmares.

I don’t support anything that would increase the Hits-to-Kill on a Knight. He’s not that underpowered that he needs to be made more tanky, it’s his abysmal move speed, lack lustre weapon selection and general weakness with lack of versatility that the other classes have (whether this be the other classes being able to bring better, more powerful weapons to the table as well as having good abilities which the Knight does not have). This idea was aimed at giving him some versatility in that regard instead of outright buffing his combat effectiveness.

• @DokB:

AoE effects haven’t always purely been a MMO thing.

Got anything actually worthwhile to add though? If not then go back to crying in your archer threads please kthnx.

True it started with dungeons and dragons before you were born.

Press C and gain stamina or maybe faster health for knights only would be ok.

• Does it really matter where it started or where it’s used?

This would also be a special ability not tied to the normal battle cry. For instance, you could battle cry like you normally do, but this would be on a new key such as V.

• @gregcau:

True it started with dungeons and dragons before you were born.

Press C and gain stamina or maybe faster health for knights only would be ok.

Actually it started with wargaming from which D&D evolved.

I don’t mind the idea as it actually has a tactical element which would be cool but would need to be extensively tested. I do think the knight needs a better ability or at least a boost to his current ability.

Also some knight weapons need buffing or fixing.

• No fantasy pls

I’d rather they have a more ‘conventional’ class bonus.

• @Chimpanzer:

No fantasy pls

I’d rather they have a more ‘conventional’ class bonus.

How is this fantasy?

How is it any more unrealistic than MaA dodge or Vanguard charge?

• @lemonater47:

Essentially Magic abilities.

@DokB:

Pretty much.

@DokB:

How is this fantasy?

Ladies and gentlemen, DokB arguing with himself.

• Well I guess you can relate them to magic abilities which is the easiest way to understand this mechanic, but how can one argue that you don’t want “fantasy” abilities in your game when you already have them with dodge and charge?

• How exactly does this make any sense? The Archer can backstab because he’s stealthy, the MaA can dodge because he’s agile, the Vanguard can charge attack because he’s a front line fighter, the Knight can heal allies because he’s…what, exactly? His current special ability is to soak up extra damage and stamina drain, which, considering he’s a defensive class, makes complete sense.

• Not sure if fantasy is a great word here. The war cry idea reeks a little too much of a moba though. There’s plenty of other special abilities we can give the knight and stay consistent with the essence of the game.

• @gregcau:

AoE that made me laugh.

CMW2 with MMO elements.

Firepot has AoE damage

• @Mockingbirch:

How exactly does this make any sense? The Archer can backstab because he’s stealthy, the MaA can dodge because he’s agile, the Vanguard can charge attack because he’s a front line fighter, the Knight can heal allies because he’s…what, exactly? His current special ability is to soak up extra damage and stamina drain, which, considering he’s a defensive class, makes complete sense.

That’s not a special ability, that’s just his damage res.

But what a great “special ability” that is huh?

I’ll just fix a few things up with what you said.

Archer - the only ranged class in this game - has a unneeded backstab bonus because he is sneaky dick.
    MaA can defy the laws of physics and push himself at unrealistic leap speed because he is agile.
    Vanguard can break the sound barrier with charges because he is a front line fighter.

And finally, with this idea, Knight could provide an ounce of utility with increased Hp/stamina or speed because he is an inspiring presence on the battlefield? Shit, it isn’t that hard to stretch your mind and think of a way it can make sense. Certainly as realistic as physics breaking class abilities don’t you think?

• @Mockingbirch:

How exactly does this make any sense? The Archer can backstab because he’s stealthy, the MaA can dodge because he’s agile, the Vanguard can charge attack because he’s a front line fighter, the Knight can heal allies because he’s…what, exactly? His current special ability is to soak up extra damage and stamina drain, which, considering he’s a defensive class, makes complete sense.

Because he is a corageous noble man, who can inspire those around him