Why are there archer limits on UK official servers?

• insert topic title

• TBS decided to abandon their business model and decided to prevent people from playing the game as purchased preventing noobs from unlocking their archer weapons unless they get in line.

more here

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/19060-Retarded-Archer-Limits

• Quit filling his head with your minority opinion biased bullshit Greg. The archer limit was introduced because as of late, there’s been a problem in pubs where more than half the players on a team would go archer. You can probably guess the problems this causes. The melee of that team is fucked because they won’t have enough melee support to win engagements, and because archers right now are OP, it created an anti-fun situation in a lot of pubs.

This will also make more players want to play the melee classes more, which would be more fun for everybody. Four archers on a single team is plenty, and if even one of them is semi-decent, that’s a big boon.

• Denying that there was an archer problem on pubs is pretty laughable.

• Global Moderator

Because people complain about them.

People will continue to complain about them. Doesn’t matter what TB does. So they just restricted them.

Though all that did was make a different bunch of people complain. Complain more it seems.

• Many times the attacking team in pubs would be half archer. Shooting from spawn, and doing nothing to advance the objective, leaving their melee outnumbered. It was a problem, a big problem. Now, it’s not so bad. It’s a good, temporary, fix, until archers are balanced.

You can’t say that your class choice should not be restricted, then tell those complaining about the overwhelming archer problem to just pick a shield. Maybe they like playing vanguard? Or maybe they don’t like using shields? Why is it that archers don’t want to be restricted, but have no problem overrunning a server and FORCING melee to run shield? I like using oil pots and throwing axes, but, so many times I’m forced to pick tower shield so I don’t get shot to death.

And frankly, four archers is a good balance. I’ve seen plenty of servers now that haven’t even reached the archer limit.

• @Chimpanzer:

I’ve seen plenty of servers now that haven’t even reached the archer limit.

Or really, if that was the case then why do we need an archer limit… So far 75% of the TO games I have been on reach the limit.

• http://i.imgur.com/0eqaZtV.jpg

This is why there’s a limit. Look at him, the last treb is being taken, and what is he doing? Sitting in spawn, with a heavy crossbow, shooting, and missing. Literally doing nothing for his team.

And, if you’ve seen a majority of servers reach the limit, that’s why we need one. At least for now. Archer heavy teams ruin pubs for both sides.

• @Chimpanzer:

http://i.imgur.com/0eqaZtV.jpg

This is why there’s a limit. Look at him, the last treb is being taken, and what is he doing? Sitting in spawn, with a heavy crossbow, shooting, and missing. Literally doing nothing for his team.

Oh no a young noob - disaster, lets add an archer limit to fix it.

• maybe they should conduct a couple of easily accessible in-game surveys so they don’t only get the small amount of opinions in-game.

• Camping at spawn(afk\tker-mostly melee)…I’ve seen it many times but it wasn’t the reason for screenshot lol

@Flippy:

half the players on a team would go archer.

Oh seriously? It’s their decision not yours. this is not “chivalry medieval limits”.And in 80% half of the players prefer vans\knights.Dont wanna complain about ur melee lmb swing swing eh?

@Chimpanzer:

I’ve seen plenty of servers now that haven’t even reached the archer limit.

@gregcau:

Or really, if that was the case then why do we need an archer limit…

TRUTH

• @gregcau:

So far 75% of the TO games I have been on reach the limit.

@gregcau:

Or really, if that was the case then why do we need an archer limit…

More truth?

• i dont need your excuses.

• Apologies.

• I wonder - if the majority of the players really disliked having unlimited Archers why did so many of them play as Archers anyways? Where is the point of limiting a class when the majority of the players agrees that too many of them are unhealthy for the game?

In the end it seems like the Archer limit fans are either typical Archers haters or hypocrites that only want others to pick a different class. I guess the true majority of the Chivalry players would rather not have a class limit (given by the sheer amount of people who played Archers before) but is okay running with one if they have to.

It just that I think that people who are okay with both ways would be better off having more options at their disposal. The only people who really benefit from the limits are Archer haters - who would have no reason to cry for Archer limit if they were the majority in the first place.

While the majority might be okay with the limits only a vocal minority is really for them.

• That is very interesting speculation.

• Pretty much, I’m OK with the limit until archers are balanced. I think it’s the best temporary solution. Because you do get servers with people who are oblivious to their team comp, and just blindly pick archer because they want to be ranged.

• I don’t see a problem, people are actually going for the objective now. I don’t have to pick archer myself to dispose of the 6-8 enemy archers either.

• @Evil:

I wonder - if the majority of the players really disliked having unlimited Archers why did so many of them play as Archers anyways?

Please do not appeal to logic, this forum is for clannies.

• Then all official servers should be converted to 1st person only with a maximum of 5/6 players per team (rest can only spectate) and a global class limit of 2/3.