[MECH] Feinting, the I win button. Believe it .. or not.

• To many people feinting is simply an “I win!” button. In some cases this is true, in many others it is not.

Simply ask anyone who is an avid feinter and they will quickly tell you that feinting can get you killed as often as it gets you kills.

A feint is always a risk. You risk not deceiving your enemy and handing them the initiative and even a free hit thanks to flinch. The higher the skill level of your opponent the higher the risk it wont work. So you must control the situation and provide moments where the risk is greatly reduced.

Now, I should take this moment to point out, this is an opportunity for players to give input as to what works and doesn’t with feints. Unfortunately for me in Aus we don’t have too many people that feint, not enough to get good consist practice from people both using offensive feints and defending from feints. That being said I’ve discovered some aspects of feinting that I will discuss.

Simply mashing feint whenever you approach your enemy is a quick way to build up bad form. I fell victim to this and still paying the price for it. It will work against low level players, most moderate level players and some high level players (the ones that don’t play against feints much). I encourage you not to do this, the bad form you will develop leads to unnecessary hit trades, getting flinched, poor footwork and blowing stamina for no reason. It will however give you impressive KDR against average pubbers.

A good feint requires that you set it up. An opening feint, is in most cases, not set up. You need your enemy to believe without doubt that the hit is coming. The easiest example of this is a matter of timing. You attack, they parry, they attack, you parry, you feint, they parry. This is the most basic version. The longer the exchange of attacks go on, the more likely a feint will deceive your opponent.
    This is what makes combo-feints so dangerous (they are slower now, so just standing still and combo feinting doesn’t work well), you need to combine working your angles, if you appear to really try and step around your opponents side to get that stab in around the block/parry it will make your feint much more convincing.

This also applies in a Team/FFA situation, if your target has just finished fighting off someone else, they are generally still in the timing of that battle, you come rushing in they will still tend to parry on your feint. This is NOT an opening feint, it is a continuation of their previous battle. It only takes a few seconds for their timing to reset to neutral, quicker for the more skillful, to the point it doesn’t happen, in which case your feint is not likely to work.

Please post your experiences on where feinting has and hasn’t helped you. Also it is a good place to discuss how to reduce the risks of you getting feinted.

• Even though I’m an avid feinter, there are plenty of situations where I won’t feint at all simply because of the possible risk. Like you said, the higher the player’s skill, the more dangerous it is to feint them. If I’m dueling someone, and they feint or miss me even once, I won’t feint them at all and just play the stamina game. Landing all my hits without any fancy stuff. Sometimes I need to feint a lot. It’s completely situational and the number of theoretical scenarios that could play out is just too staggeringly high to count or list.

• Hence why it would be best to express ‘how to feint’ by principals instead of by drills.

So I suppose some principals that feints should adhere to are:
    Minimise risk
    Make your feinted attacks look/feel as convincing as possible
    Don’t feint too often

• @Toll:

Make your feinted attacks look/feel as convincing as possible
    Don’t feint too often

This is the beauty of this mechanic though. Sometimes it’s best to feint a shit-ton, sometimes it’s best to not feint at all. Sometimes it’s best to try to disguise your feints. Sometimes just stonefacing them with a feint works better. Doing the wrong thing can sometimes be the perfect thing to do.

• people don’t realize that even failing 1 feint can totally cost you the fight against good players.

• This discussion to me is not about being able to react to all feints. I think if your position and setup is good, there are certain feints you truly cannot react to. If that is good or bad is debatable, and some feints definitely are possible to read. Overall I tend to enjoy the pacing of these fights but still feel like they could use work.

That said, for me the most critical thing to learn when using and fighting against feints is how to use your footwork and weapon momentum, both to deceive as you mentioned, and to avoid being hit. Fall for a feint? Try to duck / run away. It can work quite well. More importantly, using footwork to keep your opponent at a distance where feints are not as effective is essential. That is why good offense is of the essence, because anytime you’re parried the momentum shifts back; leaving them a strong opportunity to close that gap and in a vulnerable position. That’s when kicks come into play.

• I have certainly found that the closer you are to your opponent the harder it is to hold back your parry and the less time you have to try read the feint (if it is a real hit, that tracer hits super quick). Thus I would say the closer you are to your opponent the more likely your feint will work.
    Of course this puts you in a risky position, if you feint fails you are both very close to your enemy and they have initiative. Perhaps this close range feint should be used on the last hit or 2nd last.

• Mod

Toll feinted me and killed me with Man at arms.

• @Tyoson:

He just killed you. You don’t hear anyone saying, “He dragged me and killed me.”

• @Tyoson:

I thought you hit feinters when they feint you.

• @Flippy:

He just killed you. You don’t hear anyone saying, “He dragged me and killed me.”

I just hear stuff like “exploiting bitch, slow mo hax, dragging ******” and more all the time. Even when I feint people who spam feint they call me a feinting twat and ragequit, even worse when I don’t feint back and let them continue until they’re out of stamina, then I use parry hax because I don’t fall for the feints. Then again I play on pubs so yeah there’s that.

• It gets you killed if you decide to step into their zone and feint at the opening of the fight. Opening feints are hard because you still need to close the distance (more time to distinguish the feint) and even the slowest weapon will finish windup long before you started on your second swing after a feint. It’s a high probability the player who tries to initiate a fight with a feint will lose…both initiative and stamina. And if you let people walk into your face with to feint it right off, you should feel bad about yourself.

Feinting is also a massive mindgame. Usually people wise up after the second feint in a duel and will try to attack/wait for the third feint…which you’ll naturally do an accelerated attack. Also, as mentioned beforehand, dragging around your stab feints or swinging to the left for an alt slash feint or even an accelerated overhead feint plays into the mindgame portion. You can also perform well with a feint in a 1vN situation. Feint the scary 40+ baddie then switch over and clobber the archer scum right behind you. A little more believable than a simple switch.

Feints also save time in fights larger than a duel. Can never discount feints for that.

• @Xylvion:

I just hear stuff like “exploiting bitch, slow mo hax, dragging ******” and more all the time. Even when I feint people who spam feint they call me a feinting twat and ragequit, even worse when I don’t feint back and let them continue until they’re out of stamina, then I use parry hax because I don’t fall for the feints. Then again I play on pubs so yeah there’s that.

The only reason pubs exist is to bring us humor from the simple-minded paupers.

• Thanks God we don’t have many feinters in AUS servers. Feinting is such a bad mechanic, it introduces a large degree of luck into fights.

• @wyrda78:

Thanks God we don’t have many feinters in AUS servers. Feinting is such a bad mechanic, it introduces a large degree of luck into fights.

I feel so bad for Toll. He has to deal with people like you on a daily basis.

• @Skreshavik:

even the slowest weapon will finish windup long before you started on your second swing after a feint.

Hmmm, in my experience I find people using fast weapons are able to still parry the slower weapons even if I correctly predict/read their feint. Like if I swing a Maul at a Claymore feint they can usually parry it, but swinging a Claymore at a Maul feint will more than likely land a hit.

I don’t really come across feinters that much so I’ll admit I’m not really that experienced in how to deal with them, but I feel like I am misunderstanding something when we talk about punishing a feint and gaining the initiative when it comes to slow vs fast. :/

• Meh, I don’t care how much I’m ridiculed by tryhard clannies, my opinion won’t change. As I said, feinting is a bad mechanic, it makes fights more luck based and the game is better without it.

• @wyrda78:

Thanks God we don’t have many feinters in AUS servers. Feinting is such a bad mechanic, it introduces a large degree of luck into fights.

Don’t you only play pubs? and beating a good maa without feints, gg

• @wyrda78:

my opinion won’t change

Thats your problem. You just don’t care. You are just a hater and I am pretty sure you didn’t even try to learn reading feints.

• @Evil:

Thats your problem. You just don’t care. You are just a hater and I am pretty sure you didn’t even try to learn reading feints.

I don’t care? I’m ‘hater’? Now you’re just making stuff up about me; what, you’ve know me from two forum posts?

Reliably reading feints is pretty much impossible, but I’m not going to get into that argument.

@Limbo:

Don’t you only play pubs? and beating a good maa without feints, gg

maa