Shield delay

• Honestly just kill me on the first strike.

Why bother having a shield if you cant raise it after flinching before the combo followup gets you.

Hardly anyone takes shields (because they are crap) so why did you have nerf them with a delay before you can raise a shield.

• Personally I think if they want to punish a late raising of the shield, it should block health damage but take 25%+ more stamina damage, it really sucks to get hit as your raising a shield, considering parries don’t have that issue.

• @gregcau:

Honestly just kill me on the first strike.

Why bother having a shield if you cant raise it after flinching before the combo followup gets you.

Hardly anyone takes shields (because they are crap) so why did you have nerf them with a delay before you can raise a shield.

Lol n00b git gud scrub

• Wait, when did they add this?

• We have to take shields so that we don’t get pelted by infinite arrows.

• @Nohbdy111:

Lol n00b git gud scrub

oh you can raise your shield mmm git gf btch

• As someone who has recently found the hunting knife even people with tower shields can block my combo after I flinched them.

• I main shield knight, and I have used both the tower and the kite. Shields are in a decent place right now with the stamina buff. Shield raise time can be brutal against 1h, but you simply have to feint and end the fight quickly.

• I dislike shield raise time because it forces you to try and read a feint earlier than you would normally have to (compared to if you weren’t using a shield). You want to try and leave parry/block as late as possible so that you have more time to read a feint - having to read feint earlier just because you’re using a shield is unreasonable IMO.

Another thing i find frustrating is shield drop time. You go to block an attack and your opponent delays his swing - you’ve already let go of the block button so your shield is starting to drop already and so you take a mortal wound to the shield - which is still dropping. If it were a parry the parry window would have still been active and you’d have been safe.

• It did make sense to match mechanics with animations but slowing down the mechanics to fit the animations is just another shield nerf. Why didn’t they make the animations fit the mechanics? Too much work? Let’s grab the quick fix instead, even if it means another shield nerf. Can anybody actually remember the last time that someone called shields OP?

Still. At least I can now use a heater shield which, if I’m not mistaken, has about the same raise time as the old kite shield. I’m alright Jack; I use a broadsword anyways so take that you uncalled for, not necessary and nasty byproduct of a lazy solution to a related issue.

• This only happens with javs afaik, after you’ve thrown a jav and someone attacks you, first you get flinched from the attack, then from “reloading” your javs so you won’t be able to block in time for the combo. I think this is a fair punishment for the OP shotgun bullshit high damage unblockable piece of crap weapon. Javelineers can’t even touch Crushed in melee but they can kill him with the throws for example.

• @Xylvion:

This only happens with javs

No; it’s all shields, TB increased the raise/lower time to fit the animations.

• Shield up time is stupid and should be removed. Who the hell thought shields were too powerful anyway that it deserved a nerf?

If the problem was tapping block then put some other mechanic in to stop tapping. There are just too many times that you can’t do anything when using a shield: shield up time, shield down time, stun time.

As HEXEN pointed out in one of his videos it just removes the fun of playing, it feels like you can’t control yourself half the time in a fight, which is very frustrating.

• I find I have trouble raising a shield to a riposte lookdown overhead. So I attack, they parry and riposte with a fast weapon such as Claymore with an overhead lookdown and if you raise the shield as soon as the riposte starts it doesn’t get up in time. This may be something as little as 50ms of lag, is it actually possible to do on a perfect connection?

• @Toll:

I find I have trouble raising a shield to a riposte lookdown overhead. So I attack, they parry and riposte with a fast weapon such as Claymore with an overhead lookdown and if you raise the shield as soon as the riposte starts it doesn’t get up in time. This may be something as little as 50ms of lag, is it actually possible to do on a perfect connection?

I agree, it also seems impossible to raise it in time with some weapons with a very fast stab riposte. It’s probably technically possible to block but lag can do weird things. Also if you have basically preempt the attack and kind of guess which direction they will attack, you certainly don’t have time to wait and see in which direction it’s coming and then block with shield up time.

• These are pretty much the points i was trying to discuss earlier. I have a ping between 30-80ms and i have this problem.

• @Reginhard:

No; it’s all shields, TB increased the raise/lower time to fit the animations.

I played both kite and tower yesterday, not even once did this happen to me, so far I’ve only gotten it with javs. :x

• @Xylvion:

I played both kite and tower yesterday, not even once did this happen to me, so far I’ve only gotten it with javs. :x

All shield raise/lower times were increased to fit with the animations and this is pretty much the subject of this debate. Having re-read your first post; I think that you are discussing a separate issue that is specific to javelins.

• @Toll:

I find I have trouble raising a shield to a riposte lookdown overhead. So I attack, they parry and riposte with a fast weapon such as Claymore with an overhead lookdown and if you raise the shield as soon as the riposte starts it doesn’t get up in time. This may be something as little as 50ms of lag, is it actually possible to do on a perfect connection?

To block a riposte with a shield you have to be pressing the block button when your attack connects with their parry. In doing that you’re open for a kick, and if you see your opponent go for a kick you cannot drop your block before his kick hits you.
    With shields, especially the slower ones, you have to guess whether your opponent will kick or riposte and hope for the best.

Where’s that awesome quote about how Chivalry’s gameplay should be reactive and not predictive?

• @gregcau:

They are not crap as they protect you against projectiles - but people rather like to cry than just picking/using one. Bonus points for Knights that get shot while charging the enemy lines with a Towershield on their back and then start a temper tantrum about Archers (sadly those are the guys Torn Banner listens to).

Also they seem to be quite good in some dueling situations - shield setups did quite well in the current EU Knight tournament (at least in the fights I saw). And shield drop time is needed for balancing shields - otherwise it would just come down to pick the biggest one (more protection against projectiles and less stamina drain on block).