POLL: Archer Limits on Official Servers

• Ok, so having played it for a while I might be swayed that archer limits are ok… I do hate it when I cannot play the class I feel like playing - recently heavy javelin. But I get why melee enthusiasts prefer not to be shot by an arrow.

However when a level 59 vanguard is carving up your team an arrow is useful to help out.

So here is the poll.

• I would’ve preferred if there was an option for simply raising the limit to something like 6. But I voted for the middle one.

• @Flippy:

I would’ve preferred if there was an option for simply raising the limit to something like 6. But I voted for the middle one.

Yeah up the limit to 6. Stops games getting crazy. But usually you can still pick archer.

• Nobody is preventing anybody from anything, the class is limited to 1/4 of the FOUR classes, it’s not completely gone.

Polls are supposed to be impartial, lol

• @Flippy:

I would’ve preferred if there was an option for simply raising the limit to something like 6. But I voted for the middle one.

Which would mean six out of twelve players going Archer would still be happening all the time. Unless you mean 32p servers specifically.

• The first option is just “mimimi”, the second actually makes the most sense (there should be 6 per team on 32p servers though) but I really hate class limitations so I voted for the last.

• I do get frustrated when theres lots of archers and some of them are so good that they appear to have an aimbot or something…. Nevertheless i voted no archer limits on official servers because even when there are lots of archers i enjoy the challenge and can adapt my loadout to try and overcome the problem…and there are a number of options to choose from and thus why i think a cap is unnecessary.

• @DaciaJC:

Which would mean six out of twelve players going Archer would still be happening all the time. Unless you mean 32p servers specifically.

And this is what would be happening when the server is not full. 4 is good.

• Why is everyone acting like they completely got rid of archers. YOU CAN STILL BE AN ARCHER. Having too many archers ruins the games. I’m sorry if you don’t know how to do anything else but if all you want to do is hide in a corner and shoot at people go play Call of Duty. For the first time in weeks TO is actually fun because you can play the game without having to hide behind a shield for 80% of the round. Getting rid of archer limits would be a huge mistake. If you ask anyone who’s playing the game you’ll find they almost unanimously support it. If you come on the forums you find 10-15 kids who have been crying for three days making a bunch of posts about it.

• @Bear:

but if all you want to do is hide in a corner and shoot at people go play Call of Duty.

Thats flawed logic. Because if there are other games that give you this option you should not use it here? WTF?
    @Bear:

For the first time in weeks TO is actually fun because you can play the game without having to hide behind a shield for 80% of the round.

TO sucks balls with the limit on some maps (e.g. Hillside) - all it needs is some weaker players getting Archer slots first on defense. It also feels much less like “Medieval Warfare” now - more like “melee warfare because some whiny kids did not get the name and cried until the game got dumbed down”. I agree that limits might make sense temporarily for balance reasons (though having them makes properly balancing the game much harder).
    @Bear:

If you come on the forums you find 10-15 kids who have been crying for three days making a bunch of posts about it.

You realize that it was mainly the Archer haters crying here until Torn Banner decided to add those limits to impose the playstyle and team compositions the haters wanted? Those class limits were a bad decision because all they do is limiting options. You cannot really want this unless you are a scrub that wants to force others to play his way.

Instead the issue (tons of Archers being unhealthy for gameplay but are still getting picked) should be resolved and the limit should be removed as soon as possible. There are already plenty of ideas and but right now the bubble is priority - and that should be the only reason why the limits exist. If you want to play “Medieval Warfare” you should not expect not getting shot by bolts and arrows.

• If it sucks so much then why people are not voting against the archer limit? Yes, I want to play Medieval Warfare, not Arrow Dodging Simulator 2013.

• Pretty sure that’s on Steam Greenlight.

• Most people did - but I believe the majority just sees the imbalance as worse than the limitation. Others just like their hated class to be nerfed, their allies forced to play a certain way or their enemies starved of options. And then there are the ones who just deal with whatever happens - they will stick to whatever “base rules” the official servers are set to.

And to be honest Hillside sucks since Mason got hit by the nerf-Maul but it could be rescued by some good defending Archers. Other maps are just lower challenge for the attackers right now - which is more of a personal issue though (seems like challenge is out of fashion in gaming anyways). Well - Citadel benefits as well as LTS and TDM but thats about it.

• You do realize this is a game and not a Medieval simulator? The game is billed as a first person slasher, not a first person shooter. People who are whining about the archer limits are just frustrated that they don’t know how to play anything else in the game besides archer. The class is still available, it just means that teams aren’t made up of 8-10 archers. If you want a first person SHOOTER, go play something else. The feature that makes this game unique is the melee combat. Melee should be the focus of the game. Or you could always….learn to play the game instead of only playing one class.

• @Bear:

You do realize this is a game and not a Medieval simulator? The game is billed as a first person slasher, not a first person shooter. People who are whining about the archer limits are just frustrated that they don’t know how to play anything else in the game besides archer. The class is still available, it just means that teams aren’t made up of 8-10 archers. If you want a first person SHOOTER, go play something else. The feature that makes this game unique is the melee combat. Melee should be the focus of the game. Or you could always….learn to play the game instead of only playing one class.

+1
    /10characters

• @Bear:

You do realize this is a game and not a Medieval simulator? The game is billed as a first person slasher, not a first person shooter. People who are whining about the archer limits are just frustrated that they don’t know how to play anything else in the game besides archer. The class is still available, it just means that teams aren’t made up of 8-10 archers. If you want a first person SHOOTER, go play something else. The feature that makes this game unique is the melee combat. Melee should be the focus of the game. Or you could always….learn to play the game instead of only playing one class.

THIS……

• Right about now that archer is regretting the idea of putting this to a vote.

• Typical game without archer limit, 8 archers on agatha too

• @Bear:

You do realize this is a game and not a Medieval simulator?

This argument is only ever used when convenient. Yes it is a game but its still a medieval setting and even got “Medieval Warfare” in its title. So it should better live up to that.
    @Bear:

People who are whining about the archer limits are just frustrated that they don’t know how to play anything else in the game besides archer.

This statement shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. Any class limit is bad not just Archer and only a limit on Knights would make sense given the setting (not gameplay wise). You are just an Archer hater who can’t understand why others could possibly not be Archer haters if they don’t play Archer all the time.
    @Bear:

The class is still available,

Only sometimes, only for people who were fast enough to pick them and only for 4 people in a team at one time. So no: the class is not availabe but limited.
    @Bear:

The feature that makes this game unique is the melee combat. Melee should be the focus of the game.

Yes and yes - but there should still be Archers. In their specific role (ranged support) and fully available. Also having a unique feature it not a reason using features that are not unique. Its like playing the fire arrow mod and complaining about people not using fire arrows.
    @Bear:

Or you could always….learn to play the game instead of only playing one class.

And again. You are pretty much caught in your limited worldview of people either being Archers or Archer haters.

• @Evil:

This argument is only ever used when convenient. Yes it is a game but its still a medieval setting and even got “Medieval Warfare” in its title. So it should better live up to that.
    This statement shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. Any class limit is bad not just Archer and only a limit on Knights would make sense given the setting (not gameplay wise).

Well there’s one problem. When a company is making a game they need to focus on gameplay. How does Chivalry not live up to Medieval Warfare? It has melee and d combat, and levels with medieval settings. I understand that immersion involves a balancing act between realism and game-play but the emphasis should always, and will always, be on playing the game. Not trying to make it more realistic.

You’re acting like every single game has a rush for everyone trying to play archer and then everyone else just settling for something else. I play on a 32p server with a 4 archer limit and they are almost never all taken within the first minute of round starting. So archers are still available, they are available for anyone to play, yet you act like they’ve been completely removed from the game. You’re stretching your argument so far that it’s just ridiculous. If you think that archers are never available go record yourself joining 2 different servers and see if one doesn’t open up within a few minutes of you being on. You’re upset that a melee focused game doesn’t have unlimited ranged capabilities, it’s kind of weird.