POLL: Archer Limits on Official Servers

• @suge1w:

do they really believe the class is out of control and detrimental to the game?

Do you even play the game that often? Having a majority of your team playing archers is pretty much a guaranteed loss because it’s so easy to get pushed right back to your spawn since you’re vastly outnumbered when it comes to doing actual fighting.

That’s a pretty fucking major detriment to the game.

• @gndo:

Ok, admittedly I don’t play much TO or TDM these days (mostly on classic duel) but I played a TDM game yesterday, and a TO just now. The TDM was low population, wasn’t many players on yesterday morning, anyways, the enemy team had 5 players, 4 of which were archer…

The TO I just played now in Stoneshill, the attacking team had 4 archers, 3 MaA and 1 knight. Needless to say they couldn’t kill the king because there wasn’t enough melee classes attacking, too many archers, and this was on a archer limited server.

Why do people choose archer even it’s not necessary or a good idea to have so many on one team? I’m sure it would have been worse if the limits weren’t in place.

So yeah I think archer needs some kind of nerf if only to make it less popular amongst newb players and idiots alike.

I don’t think it’s because archer is appealing that new players flock to it, probably more due to the high skill ceiling in CMW. You’ve still got heaps of veteran players and some rank 30+ who have recently got into the swing of things in the game. This means that most new players are going to just get slaughtered by them in melee and their only other option is shooting at them from afar and avoiding the chaotic hack and slash that can be Chivalry.

Hence why pure archers, while really scary with a bow, can be less than average in melee. Not much can be done to fix that.

• @David:

Do you even play the game that often? Having a majority of your team playing archers is pretty much a guaranteed loss because it’s so easy to get pushed right back to your spawn since you’re vastly outnumbered when it comes to doing actual fighting.

That’s a pretty fucking major detriment to the game.

oh so they are not overpowered, you arent hit by too many arrows, you are just mad because your team is not a shield for you… I see, well why not limit MAA too.

• @DokB:

I don’t think it’s because archer is appealing that new players flock to it, probably more due to the high skill ceiling in CMW. You’ve still got heaps of veteran players and some rank 30+ who have recently got into the swing of things in the game. This means that most new players are going to just get slaughtered by them in melee and their only other option is shooting at them from afar and avoiding the chaotic hack and slash that can be Chivalry.

Hence why pure archers, while really scary with a bow, can be less than average in melee. Not much can be done to fix that.

I doubt it. I think people gravitate towards playing archer for the same reason a lot of people play sniper in games like Call of Duty or Battlefield; they all want to be the xXELITE[MLG]PROSNIPERLONEWOLF#yoloXx player. The idea of being able to silently pick people off in a single shot without them being able to fight back is appealing to them.

• Yeah I suppose that side of it appeals to them. But then again, the whole “cawwa dooty players” argument gets thrown around a shit load and not just for FPS games but many other games too. It’s kinda lost it’s meaning here, especially when it comes to a game based off medieval warfare.

• Well what other explanation is there for people buying a game advertised for it’s melee combat then instantly jumping on the class that is the equivalent to the sniper?

It’s one of those things I’ll never understand; why people who only play archer like that guy who made the petition thread about removing the limits even exist. The archery isn’t even that well done in this. It just feels tacked on for the sake of including a ranged class. Mount and Blade does archery way better.

• A lot of people who buy CMW play other FPS games, they are used to everything being ranged so when first presented with a class they choose archer. Or maybe they choose a melee class but find it difficult and so go to archer assuming that the skill they already have in playing FPSs will make them a good archer.

I doubt it’s much fun for them though, being an archer is harder than shooting a shotgun or a assault rifle and getting one or two shotted by virtually everything is no fun (well it’s fun for the non archers).

• @David:

Well what other explanation is there for people buying a game advertised for it’s melee combat then instantly jumping on the class that is the equivalent to the sniper?

It’s one of those things I’ll never understand; why people who only play archer like that guy who made the petition thread about removing the limits even exist. The archery isn’t even that well done in this. It just feels tacked on for the sake of including a ranged class. Mount and Blade does archery way better.

I picked up the game for the melee element, I started off as a knight but enjoyed the more… non-chivalrous approach to offing a person and while playing an archer (80% of my time) I’m in melee just as much as ranged. Sick of the CoD argument.

The limit is god send. 4 is a good amount as much as I love being an archer too many archers can’t win most objectives. Plus now I’m forced to give some love to knights.

• I would like Archers to be as difficult to play as melee classes. Sniping people is nice but it should come at a cost - right now crossbowmen just sit there spamming bolts with pinpoint accuracy and ridiculously low reload times across the map without even paying stamina even though medieval ranged weapons are supposed to get their damage through muscle power.

• remove archers 2ndary weapon. Now everyone has fun playing archers and chasing them

• Having to chase every archer that runs away from you instead of fighting you in melee would get very old very quickly.

• Archer was the very last class I chose when I started. I chose knight because I knew the extra HP would help me learn to parry and I could at least take a couple of hits and survive haha.

• @Evil:

I would like Archers to be as difficult to play as melee classes. Sniping people is nice but it should come at a cost - right now crossbowmen just sit there spamming bolts with pinpoint accuracy and ridiculously low reload times across the map without even paying stamina even though medieval ranged weapons are supposed to get their damage through muscle power.

Here’s the crux of the argument right here, even if most people wont admit it. Not only is it the easiest class to play mechanically, it inherently comes with the least amount of risk while simultaneously offering you gargantuan reward. That my friends, is shit balance. The easiest and most forgiving class to play shouldn’t be the most powerful and game changing once mastered.

To be honest, this debate is getting stupid. People are REALLY over exaggerating this issue, trying to fan up smoke where there’s no fire.

1.The class was not removed. You can still play Archer
    2.The class wasn’t changed, and operates exactly as before
    3.Most private servers and some official TO servers don’t have limits
    4.The majority (as deomostrated by this poll… almost 75%) are comfortable with the change

I’d bet money that anyone opposing this change has actually been locked out of selecting their Archer for more than a match, and even so, I believe there are 3 other classes to choose from? Heaven forbid you try and play something else for a while, even if it is a lowly n00b melee class of which the entire foundations of this game revolve.

• Archer class is the easiest to play, but sometimes that can be isn’t a bad thing. Super competitive melee combat where you have to maintain perfect situational awareness and super reactive reflexes can get tiring, sometimes it’s just fun to take a break and play as an archer sitting on a castle wall and sniping people.
    Yes it’s easy to play, but not easy to do well with, simply being accurate with a bow is quite hard. For example, I can do a lot better in a TO match if I play as a melee class rather than an archer.

• @Evil:

I would like Archers to be as difficult to play as melee classes. Sniping people is nice but it should come at a cost - right now crossbowmen just sit there spamming bolts with pinpoint accuracy and ridiculously low reload times across the map without even paying stamina even though medieval ranged weapons are supposed to get their damage through muscle power.

Please I’e had a lot of fun with this recently, no one gets close to me to even try to kill me and if they do I kill them because they suck at melee. Also I can kill people on the other side of the map without having to calculate the path they’re gonna run because HCB is just point’n’nclick. Or you could just be in a game with J-P and his LCB, he barely ever misses a shot and can reload in no time.

• @H:

Here’s the crux of the argument right here, even if most people wont admit it. Not only is it the easiest class to play mechanically, it inherently comes with the least amount of risk while simultaneously offering you gargantuan reward. That my friends, is shit balance. The easiest and most forgiving class to play shouldn’t be the most powerful and game changing once mastered.

To be honest, this debate is getting stupid. People are REALLY over exaggerating this issue, trying to fan up smoke where there’s no fire.

1.The class was not removed. You can still play Archer
    2.The class wasn’t changed, and operates exactly as before
    3.Most private servers and some official TO servers don’t have limits
    4.The majority (as deomostrated by this poll… almost 75%) are comfortable with the change

I’d bet money that anyone opposing this change has actually been locked out of selecting their Archer for more than a match, and even so, I believe there are 3 other classes to choose from? Heaven forbid you try and play something else for a while, even if it is a lowly n00b melee class of which the entire foundations of this game revolve.

The Archer’s risk comes from shooting your teammates and getting counter tk’d, flamed, and kicked from the server. Anecdotally, my friends gravitated towards spear vanguard which suits that description more since you run around and steal other people’s kills while hiding behind their bodies.

The fire here is that Torn Banner has their heads too far into the hugbox of the official forums while not canvassing other gaming communities on chivalry and perception people have of it. An example was in their patch notes that reverted the parry changes they referred to it as removing “panic parry” in the steam news notes. How many people knew what the hell that was? A term coined here. All they knew was that somehow they couldn’t block where they did before and you had a ton of people confused as to what happened. Another example with another game company is Bioware. If you read Bio forums you’d think the most important element of their RPGs are romances. So you have this situation where they get more estranged from the rest of community who are baffled by the extreme waifu scenarios that the official forum goers eat up.

• I’m pretty sure hating archers extends to a lot of people outside of the forums as well.

Nearly everyone I know who plays or used to play has expressed a massive dislike for archers.

• Hexen hit the nail on the head, no further discussion needed far as I can see.

• @UseSwordOnMan:

The Archer’s risk comes from shooting your teammates

Too bad you only deal half damage to them and they won’t even get flinched. Also your pinpoint accuracy makes firing into melee even less risky - in fact its a net win for your team because of the reasons mentioned. Thats why I would like to have 100%FF, allied flinch and ranged spread - it would require fire support Archers to move closer to the fights they are supporting to reduce the risk of hitting teammates.

Snipers should just get their firing speed reduced by… a lot: bringing down DPS and thus making them less viable for fire support and less deadly for groups while retaining the 13375N1P3R capabilities against single high priority targets. And both need some stamina drain on draw or reload to make them enter melee with less stamina after spamming ranged attacks.

@UseSwordOnMan:

getting counter tk’d, flamed, and kicked from the server.

Everyone suffers from idiots - its not just the Archers.

• The main issue with archers is that a very good archer is deadly. But 95% of archers in pubs are crap. So not sure how you balance that.