Community Weapon Rankings: Knight

• So this is the first thread I will make in which we will look at each primary weapon of each class and give each one a viability ranking on a scale and give a brief explanation for why you think a weapon should be nerfed, buffed, reworked, or kept the same. I think we should rank on a scale of 1 to 5.

1 is having a very small niche but the weapon is all most all ways more trouble than it’s worth

2 meaning that the weapon is mostly competent in competitive play, but it could use a slight buff to make it as competent as other (balanced)weapons

3 being 100% balanced, having clear and sufficient drawbacks to counteract it’s equally clear and significant benefits

4 is for weapons that have clear, significant benefits and an insufficient amount of drawbacks to counteract all of them. This amount of diverse strengths are enough to make most other (balanced)weapons seem too niche to use at times

5 is for weapons of which their significant benefits completely outweigh their drawbacks, if they have any at all.

Feel free to use 2.5s, 3.5s, etc. if you are indecisive of an exact rank. I’ll do mine.

Double Axe: 2.5
    Very viable in competitive play as the second highest damaging melee weapon in the game. I has incredible damage, but that is offset by it being slow and short. The reason I think it deserves a rank of 2.5 is because it is almost 100% outclassed by the Grand Mace and it’s not 100% viable because there’s almost no reason to use it over the Grand Mace.

Poleaxe: 3
    A sort of middle ground, jack of all trades weapon. It has a fast slash, a powerful OH, and a long stab, but its short releases and small hitboxes can make it relatively easy to whiff so it requires a bit of getting used to and it’s very inconsistent hit to kill can prove to be a liability in many scenarios, in my experience.

Bearded Axe: 2
    It had its niche as being a one trick pony, hyperspeed axe, but now it’s one trick has been nerfed and it has nothing else to sufficiently cover the whole that nerf left.

Warhammer: 2.5
    A viable weapon with a niche as a fast damage dealer, but unfortunately the bubble kinda fucks it in the ass combined with its all ready incredibly short reach and once we remove the bubble it should be fine as a 3 rank, in my opinion.

Maul: 3
    It’s perfectly balance in how incredibly extreme its benefits and drawback are. It possesses the most devastating blows of all melee weapons, but to offset that it’s among the shortest two handed weapons in the game and it’s the slowest weapon in the game that can combo.

Grand Mace: 4
    It has multiple clear and significant benefits being the third highest damaging melee weapon in the game and having good speed and what are it’s downsides? It’s not short at all; it has moderate reach. Bad animations and relatively underwhelming stab damage. Is that really enough to counteract all of its benefits? I don’t think so.

Longsword: 2.75
    A great all around weapon and is probably one of the most well balanced weapons in the game. It’s incredibly versatile and flexible with its great combination of speed and reach, however its very slightly underwhelming damage and prove to be a liability at times. I think we should buff the OH damage on the Longsword to 83 so it 2 hit kills vanguards to the body, but keeps its weakness against Knights by still 4 hit killing them to the body.

Sword of War: 3.25
    Incredibly well balanced, but its stab damage tracers are far further than the actual model of the weapon at the beginning of release. This is what creates the misconception that the SoW stab is faster than the LS stab, when in actuality they have the exact same timings. The only reason I think this is a very slight problem is because it makes stab feints from it to be one of the hardest feints to read in the game, not impossible, but an absolute bitch to learn to read.

Messer: 3
    Another well balanced weapon, it withholds good damage, decent speed, but relatively sub-par reach and a weak and slow stab.

Flail: 2
    I say the exact same thing about it as the Warhammer and on top of this I think it needs a slight speed buff to it’s OH and slash attacks.

Heavy Flail: 2
    Same problems as the Flail

You don’t need to do all of the weapons, I just decided to do that myself. You can nitpick and rate only a few weapons that you think need prioritized attention by TBS if you want.

• SoW 3.25!!! what - you mad - this weapon does slightly more damage than a dagger and is worse than a broadsword. so really more like 1.5.

Longsword, I agree with most that its slight better than a SOW, but still feel like wielding a sword through treacle to me - so maybe a 2 if you are lucky…

• I agree with most of the ratings.

Personally I never quite understood how the Grand Mace can be seen as useful aside from pubs. It does blunt/pierce damage to effectively 2-hit kill Vanguards and Knights. Except the thing IS very short and dancing Vanguards are bound to counter every fail you make trying to hit them and as such the Maul is better for killing the class that is left; the Knight.

• The Grandmace wrecks in Knight duels where it is basically a longer and faster (at least in single strikes) Double Axe and it does a good job as damage support weapon otherwise.

The Maul on the other side (I would rank it 3-3.5 and 3.5-4 in beta) is pretty slow and if you don’t get this headshot you are mainly better off with the Grand Maces speed.

• idk the grandmace just feels like an inferior version of the dubaxe but I am the unofficial jesus of dubaxe so might just be me

• I’d pick the grandmace over the dub axe and maul any day. Though I wouldn’t say its over powered. I’m just not used to fighting with the maul and dub axe.

Though I see more good players use the maul over the grandmace. Maul is just too short for me.

• @lemonater47:

Though I see more good players use the maul over the grandmace. Maul is just too short for me.

I don’t know if I’d consider myself a super great player, but I do prefer the maul. It has amazing drags, the backward overhead vaporizes people, and it does so much damage in a single hit that even if you don’t finish a lighter opponent like a MAA or Vanguard, a simple kick will usually take them out. I’d give it a 3.5.

The warhammer is also a seriously underrated weapon. It may be short and slow, but the long windup times on the overhead and alt-swing allows you to start your attack pretty far out from your opponent, so they often neglect to block and take the hit. Its super easy to drag with also, and a great weapon to combo with the shield. Definitely a 3 in my opinion.

• @lemonater47:

I’d pick the grandmace over the dub axe and maul any day. Though I wouldn’t say its over powered. I’m just not used to fighting with the maul and dub axe.

Good players definitely use the Gmace more. Spook and I are the only comp Maul mains I can think of in NA whereas lots if players use Gmace.

• @Nohbdy111:

Good players definitely use the Gmace more. Spook and I are the only comp Maul mains I can think of in NA whereas lots if players use Gmace.

I’ve only seen a single person use Gmace in comp in the last month and that was Guts for like, 5 minutes. Spook hasn’t touched Maul in quite a while.

• @Flippy:

I’ve only seen a single person use Gmace in comp in the last month and that was Guts for like, 5 minutes. Spook hasn’t touched Maul in quite a while.

ia. Blake, Kwazi, Mike Oxlong, Tyrannus, and Killendel, use Grand Mace and that’s a shame Spook doesn’t use Maul anymore. I guess I’m the only competitive Maul main then. Killendel uses it too, but I don’t think he mains it. Pretty sure he mains Gmace.

The Gmace is also used a decent amount in EU to my knowledge and I haven’t seen one person in the best knight EU duel tournament use the Maul and stick with it throughout all of the duels.

• @Philoninternet:

I don’t know if I’d consider myself a super great player, but I do prefer the maul. It has amazing drags, the backward overhead vaporizes people, and it does so much damage in a single hit that even if you don’t finish a lighter opponent like a MAA or Vanguard, a simple kick will usually take them out. I’d give it a 3.5.

The warhammer is also a seriously underrated weapon. It may be short and slow, but the long windup times on the overhead and alt-swing allows you to start your attack pretty far out from your opponent, so they often neglect to block and take the hit. Its super easy to drag with also, and a great weapon to combo with the shield. Definitely a 3 in my opinion.

I would agree with you on the Warhammer, but the bubble seriously does prove to be very problematic, especially against players with very good footwork or in a competitive teamfight where people are running all over the place and you need to support your team mates. The very low reach also leaves you more susceptible to being team killed because you have to be right next to your enemies and if a teammate tries to attack the same person you are more likely to get hit too because you’re so close to the enemy he’s trying to hit.

• Double Axe: –— Duels: 2.3 ---- Teamplay:2.3
    Pole Axe: -------- Duels: 2.2 ---- Teamplay:2.9
    Bearded Axe: — Duels: 1.5 -----Teamplay:1.7
    Warhammer: ---- Duels: 2.7 -----Teamplay:2
    Maul: ------------- Duels: 2.5 ----Teamplay:2.7
    Gmace:------------Duels: 3.1 ------Teamplay:3
    Longsword: -------Duels: 2.9 -----Teamplay:2.9
    Sword of War: – Duels: 3.3 -----Teamplay:2.8
    Messer: ---------- Duels: 2.9 -----Teamplay:3
    Flails: -------------Duels: 2.6 -----Teamplay:1.5

In the works

• Stinker, are you ranking a Longsword as stronger than a grand mace in duels? If you are remotely good at defense, vs a longsword you essentially automatically win. Keep attacking with lookdown overheads and go for hit trades. Even if you never get them (almost impossible you’ll be flinched) and even if you don’t successfully pull off the alt OH drags / accels, you will win the stamina war.

• @The:

Stinker, are you ranking a Longsword as stronger than a grand mace in duels? If you are remotely good at defense, vs a longsword you essentially automatically win. Keep attacking with lookdown overheads and go for hit trades. Even if you never get them (almost impossible you’ll be flinched) and even if you don’t successfully pull off the alt OH drags / accels, you will win the stamina war.

You have a fair point there, and I changed it a bit to compensate, but I do think that the LS is a better duel weapon overall, because the gmace has that power to win the hit trade and stamina drain battle, but because of its relative range disadvantage(it can match the LS, but only in a situation such as a dragged out alt OH into the legs) and its turnspeed, it is not as good for fighting vg/maa as the LS

• @Stinker:

You have a fair point there, and I changed it a bit to compensate, but I do think that the LS is a better duel weapon overall, because the gmace has that power to win the hit trade and stamina drain battle, but because of its relative range disadvantage(it can match the LS, but only in a situation such as a dragged out alt OH into the legs) and its turnspeed**, it is not as good for fighting vg/maa as the LS**

Idk about that. OH hit trade plus stab feint both to the body on the Grand Mace is disgustingly good at taking out Vanguards in duels and the LS needs to get a head hit to get a 2 hit kill on Vanguard. I think you underestimate the Grand Mace, Stinker.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the Grand Mace handle hits too, so sometimes it’s even faster than the Longsword despite their equal OH windup.

• @Nohbdy111:

snip

Another fair point. The gmace has a clear damage advantage, the LS has a clear turnspeed advantage, and they are situationally equal in both speed and range (based on how various movements and attacks are set up). Based on the weight of those aspects, I changed my values once again.

• @Nohbdy111:

Idk about that. OH hit trade plus stab feint both to the body on the Grand Mace is disgustingly good at taking out Vanguards in duels and the LS needs to get a head hit to get a 2 hit kill on Vanguard. I think you underestimate the Grand Mace, Stinker.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the Grand Mace handle hits too, so sometimes it’s even faster than the Longsword despite their equal OH windup.

Speaking of handle hits, should I up the rating of the Grand Mace again because of them? I think I should.

• Double Axe: 3.5
    Pole Axe: 3
    Bearded Axe: 1
    Warhammer: 1.5
    Maul: 2
    Gmace: 3
    Longsword: 4.5
    Sword of War: 4
    Messer: 3.75
    Flails: 1

• @Nohbdy111:

Speaking of handle hits, should I up the rating of the Grand Mace again because of them? I think I should.

Probably not. The only times I have trouble with handle hits is against long weapons such as the Halberd or even more horrible, the Polehammer.

• Am I the only one that would rank Flails at least a 3?