Unable to load custom maps

• RiptheJacker and I are unable to load certain custom maps while joining servers.

I have tried deleting the map file and letting it download through the server and subscribing to the map but neither method works. We are just stuck on a loading screen forever.

We are having this problem specifically with Whitenest and Shore.

• @Dr.Nick:

RiptheJacker and I are unable to load certain custom maps while joining servers.

I have tried deleting the map file and letting it download through the server and subscribing to the map but neither method works. We are just stuck on a loading screen forever.

We are having this problem specifically with Whitenest and Shore.

Yes, this is a problem that arised after some update from Torn Banner.

The maps having custom materials take more time to load than the maps using only SDK Content. This is because the custom material’s shaders have to be compiled everytime the Client loads the map for the first time. The next time that the map loads it doesn’t take long at all (10 secs).

The problem appears when the map has to be redownloaded everytime the server is playing it, even if you have already downloaded it or you are subscribed to it in the workshop. As the map is downloaded every time you play it, you always have to compile the shaders for the first time.

I see two solutions to this:

1. Uploaded the compiled shaders to the workshop, so that the Client can download them and never has to compile them. This of course will increase the size of the maps in the workshop, and the donwloading time.

2. Don’t make the Client download the map if they already have it! This will make the client only have to compile the shaders once. A version check has to be intruduced, so that the Client downloads the map if the creator has updated it.

• Mod

What maps specifically?

• I get reports from people that this happens from time to time with my GrailCastle map. I am not sure if it freezes or just takes longer than people are prepared to wait. T

he recompiling shader things is certainly adding to the times it takes to load - which i don’t understand as SM3 and 5 shader caches are uploaded with the maps - so why are shaders being rebuilt all the time?

• @MonkeyFiend:

What maps specifically?

Whitenest has this problem too. As we added custom materials the first loading time is large. This time is CPU-dependent, so each Client have different loading times.