Need advice fighting polearms and zwei.

• Hey guys, I main knight with longsword and broadsword. The setups that are causing me trouble at the moment are polearms and zwei.

Polearms, I find I’m constantly out of range due their knockback, and the speed of some of them keeps me on the defensive. I’ve tried using broadsword to help counter the speed, but still have difficulty fighting this setup.

Secondly, I’m not sure if you can help me with this,(it might just be down to experience) but I have trouble reading zwei delays. It seems guesswork to me when they will actually hit, the animations are so weird. I have no trouble reading delays on any other weapon, just zwei.

Any tips or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated, cheers.

• Against polearms, don’t always riposte. Block while sprinting forwards. You have a stamina advantage over them.

For zweihänder I’d say just learn the timings, but a lot of people already said that its a little to dragable.

• For polearms, the only thing I can suggest is to try to keep as close as possible. Be careful using ripostes, and only use them when you know you will be in range. When you are in close, watch overhead attacks closely, as the handle (bottom) of the polearm will hit you first, which makes the attack connect much sooner than you expect it to. Keep practising, and you’ll get there. ;)

As for zwei delays… well, I generally suck at reading delays as well, but I have some tips that might help. If the other player uses a horizontal slash run towards their weapon when you parry, forcing their weapon to connect. Moving away is a natural instinct, but in the case of drags it actually makes it harder to parry!

For overheads, try your best to time your parry as late as possible. Also, as soon as you see them start winding up an overhead attack begin moving to one side. Even if you parry too early there’s a chance they will miss you if you use the time to move.

Other than that, the zwei-hander is extremely slow. Don’t be afraid to throw out an attack first (instead of waiting for them) especially if their health is low enough that they can be killed in one hit.

Hopefully that will help, and if not hopefully another person here can give you some better tips. ^^

• I am shit against polearms but I can deal with the Zweihaender.

Just wait, seriously, wait as long as you can. Wait until you hear the grunt. The Zwei mostly hits because you parried too early. When they slash or overhead run into the sword to catch it as early as possible. If you run into the slashes it also sets you up for a really quick overhead riposte that is hard to see for the Vanguard. When they stab, backpedal and turn first, then parry. Again, parry as late as possible. Your parry has to be the result of a thought process, not a reaction.

• Try to sprint into parries. This will almost completely negate the knickknack of even some weapons that have mentally retarded knockback. On top of this, **n****ever stop sprinting in their direction.
    As for Zwei drags, the only truly unreadable drags are lookdown-lookup OH drags(basically bluffing an accelerated OH) and bluffed ROH 360 draggs and bluffed RS 360 drags. However, lookdown-lookup drags force the Zwei user to completely push the limits of the turn speed, thus it is incredibly easy to side step because he won’t be able to turn fast enough to catch you. You might say, “he might realize you’re trying to side step it and stop pushing the turn speed limit” but this won’t happen if you time the side step at the right time. You want to side step after he is all ready half way looking all the way up and is beginning to reach his turn limit. He will have no choice but to whiff and run the opposite direct away from you. You will have the initiative and be able to wind up an attack after he misses. If he is smart, he will send the rest of his release period running the opposite direction of which you sidestepped. Just remember to keep that in mind against clever opponents, and remember to hit them way they try and dance out of your range in an attempt to reset the fight. As for bluffed ROH and RS 360 drags, these too, are impossible to simply read and parry if executed well. The best way to get out of these is to wait until right after he swing misses intentionally behind him, and then sprint in the opposite direct he will turn around with the 360. These are the best tips I have to combat the most nasty of drags. I hope you find them useful ;)

EDIT: As for the lesser drags, if he just looks straight up just parry very, very, very late. If he does a slash, run right into it. If he does a stab drag, just practice parry at the stab at the very last moment and remember to turn a lot and never be fooled by the body feints he will do during windup. Another thing you can do against stab drags is run in the opposite direction he intentionally misses your body, at the last second, or else he’ll catch on and just turn it back into a normal stab if he notices. If you side step the side at the right time, he won’t be able to turn fast enough to catch you. If he tries to do a waterfall OH, just turn a lot to parry it. If he tries to do a rainbow slash, look at and at his blade or do a crouch lockdown OH.

• I really hope they patch the handle hits from polehammers. It’s stupid…

• @Tyoson:

I really hope they patch the handle hits from polehammers. It’s stupid…

Except it’s not a bug and it’s been in the game since beta. If you can’t deal with them, learn to. I don’t hear anybody in comp play complain about handle hits.

• As for Zwei drags, the only truly unreadable drags are lookdown-lookup OH drags(basically bluffing an accelerated OH) and bluffed ROH 360 draggs and bluffed RS 360 drags.

There’s no such thing as an unreadable drag FFS. If it was unreadable a lot more people in the comp scene would use it in scrims and duels.

• Flippy, prophet of the mighty and infallible comp scene hath spoken. So back down you peasants and scrubs.

• @Flippy:

There’s no such thing as an unreadable drag FFS. If it was unreadable a lot more people in the comp scene would use it in scrims and duels.

True, it’s not unreadable, per say, (nothing is in this game) but it’s gamble. When you se the enemy turn around it’s becomes a gamble. It’s either parry early at the ROH or parry late at the 360 drag. However, if you do the former you risk getting fucked up by a normal ROH and if you do the latter you’re at risk of getting fucked by a 360 drag.

As for your second statement, many good players use it. Watch the best knight EU duel tournament, everyone used them all the damn time. As for NA, all good duelists(drag duelists) use it and most of NA is fucking awful, in case you hadn’t realized.

• @Eic:

Flippy, prophet of the mighty and infallible comp scene hath spoken. So back down you peasants and scrubs.

Fucking lol^^^

Seriously, Flippy, you need to start listening to what I say.

• @Nohbdy111:

True, it’s not unreadable, per say, (nothing is in this game) but it’s gamble. When you se the enemy turn around it’s becomes a gamble. It’s either parry early at the ROH or parry late at the 360 drag. However, if you do the former you risk getting fucked up by a normal ROH and if you do the latter you’re at risk of getting fucked by a 360 drag.

It’s not a gamble. Try hitting Dolo with Zwei drags. He’ll parry them every time.

Also, if they do use that trick to make you parry early and them come around, just backpedal good lord. Since they’ll be turning around they won’t be able to get in range while you’re backpedaling. Or strafe around to the opposite side the strike is coming from. They won’t be able to hit you because of the turnspeed cap.

• Comp scene this, comp scene that. Fuck the comp scene. All the money from competitive gaming is in games like League of Legends. Because the developers notice things, listen to the community and actually fix broken bugs early before the game becomes a laughing stock. There’s still so many fucking bugs that have existed since launch. It’s ridiculous. Congratulations, you’re competing in a broken game where the wooden part of a weapon does the same damage as the end of the weapon. Your prize for winning is an empty bag with a dollar sign on it because the prize givers were too lazy to withdraw the money to put in the bag.

• @Flippy:

Except it’s not a bug and it’s been in the game since beta. If you can’t deal with them, learn to. I don’t hear anybody in comp play complain about handle hits.

Just because it’s been present in the game since the beta does not mean they are not a bad aspect of the game, it also does not mean they shouldn’t be removed from the game and it does not mean it is not a bug. I have yet to see a single developer say that either it’s good for the game, as CFTP and FTP are, or that they are intended and not a bug.

**Jesus fucking Christ, Flippy, if you’re seriously this stupid, just leave the forums. The forums will be 5 times for productive without you.

• @Flippy:

Also, if they do use that trick to make you parry early and them come around, just backpedal good lord. Since they’ll be turning around they won’t be able to get in range while you’re backpedaling. Or strafe around to the opposite side the strike is coming from. They won’t be able to hit you because of the turnspeed cap.

That is exactly what I said you fucking 'tard.

**I really think you have a bias against me, Flippy. You are either unbelievably retarded, or you hate me so much that you try and use anything against me to make to look bad, no matter how stupid and wrong your are.

Admit it, Flippy, it’s obvious that it’s one or the other of those. I have autism and even I can detect your asinine bias against me. Give up and pick which one you are. Retarded? Ridiculously stupid bias against me?

• @Nohbdy111:

Just because it’s been present in the game since the beta does not mean they are not a bad aspect of the game, it also does not mean they shouldn’t be removed from the game and it does not mean it is not a bug. I have yet to see a single developer say that either it’s good for the game, as CFTP and FTP are, or that they are intended and not a bug.**

If handle hits were as bad as you make them out to be, they would’ve been removed a long time ago. We’d also see a lot more people complaining about them on these forums. You’re giving off the impression that everybody wants handle hits removed or nerfed or changed, when you’re literally the only person I’ve seen besides a few other pubstars complain about handle hits…

That is exactly what I said you fucking 'tard.

So why are you complaining about them if even you know how to deal with them and punish them for it?

• Handle hits are fucking annoying. Especially when people use them as a crutch and spam lookdowns/crouch lookdown. Feints are annoying as a crutch too, but at least feints are intended and somewhat balanced. Handle hits are just due to TBS’ lack of experience by making the handles draw tracers.

Maybe a bash attack with the handle, kind of like a punch, that you can use with all weapons to keep people from facehugging you, combined with more realistic tracers to remove handle hits. The punch attack would be for quick, very-close range, very small damage, and would work like a less-powerful kick; meant for stunning and a little pushback when enemies are too close to kick, since halberd attacks wouldn’t land at close range without handle tracers.

• @Flippy:

If handle hits were as bad as you make them out to be, they would’ve been removed a long time ago. We’d also see a lot more people complaining about them on these forums. You’re giving off the impression that everybody wants handle hits removed or nerfed or changed, when you’re literally the only person I’ve seen besides a few other pubstars complain about handle hits…

Omfg… I’m not making it out to be so bad, I’m just saying it’s no bueno, how hard is that for you to understand?

And do you know why people like me want handle hits gone? We’re obviously right and listen to our points.

So why are you complaining about them if even you know how to deal with them and punish them for it?

Why did we complain about the pre-nerf Halberd even if we could deal with it via archers and the old shield knights? It’s very basic, Flippy. Also, saying this is like a player who has 1000 hours with the archer class, who has never used a melee class, saying, “Well, I can handle the Brandistock by shooting them before they reach me, so it’s not OP”. It’s very obviously flawed logic and I hope you realize that.

Handle hits are counter intuitive and can essentially patch up a weapons’ main drawback being speed, such as the Polehammer. It doesn’t completely patch up that drawback, but it absolutely negates a big portion of it. A weapon with less drawbacks than another(Polehammer with handle hits) is of course more powerful than a weapon with an equal amount of benefits, but more drawbacks(Polehammer without handle hits compared to a current Polehammer).

You need to ask yourself these questions before you say them. Please stop making us 15 year olds look stupid… Please…

If you do ask yourself the questions you ask me before you ask me them, then you just need to get more experience and knowledge of the game before discuss important topics that require said knowledge.

• Guys, I see I got a lot of good advice, then the thread has gone off topic, and I don’t want to see it turn into another shit-throwing waste of space. Please can we keep it on topic?

I’ll reply to the advice in a few. Thanks.

• Nah, tbf handlehits can be pretty retarded and should be fixed.

Aint nobody that can tell me that polehammer handlehits arent A.) Ridiculous and B.) Ridiculous. Dem fings basically insta-hit you and it takes off 80%+ of your health.

Did I mention that it instahits you, and takes off 80% of your health? Yeah, good luck reading my feints/double feints on that GG. The weapon would probably be balanced if it wasnt capable of handlehits. Instead its pretty cray’.

I very much enjoy trollhammering from time to time… ofc I abuse the crazy strengths of the weapon and thus primarily crutch with handle-hits and feints. Sort of to prove a point about the weapon really… idk. Try it sometime, honestly. If there was a guy that exists that would beat you 10/10 times (and ofc isnt maa) then… watch that total slip to 5/10 with absolute ease, as you take delicate sips of your Capri-Sun to stay refreshed and hydrated in infinite style.