Balanced Double Axe Buff

• I was browsing the weapon stats sheet and had a simple idea to make the double axe a more competitive choice. Right now, it’s too weak and slow to justify the very short reach. So, keep the reach and speed the same, but buff the damage very slightly to allow some interesting capabilities:

Buff overhand to 123(from 115) chop damage.
    Buff slash to 100(from 90) chop damage.

• MAA would take 98 damage from an overhand torso hit, requiring only a quick kick to finish. Same capability as a Zweihander, just much shorter and on a beefy knight platform. Same capability as a Maul, but shorter yet faster.
    • Vanguards would take 99 damage from an overhand head it, requiring only a quick kick to finish. A capability that would be unique to the dubaxe, and fun too. Maul still outclasses it with the capability to 1-hit head.
    • Knight would be killed by 2 torso slahes(50 dmg). Comparable weapons such as the Grand Mace, Poleaxe, and Messer can’t do this. Only Maul can currently.
    • Slash would now 1-hit MAA to the head(100dmg). Maul can’t do this. Messer can, and it’s longer and faster.

This would be a desirable weapon. No longer a slouch on damage to reach/speed ratio, and kick kills are fun.

It would basiclly be a shorter, faster maul, geared towards killing the medium classes(with the specialties being kick kills and taking MAA heads), whereas maul revolves around its ability to 1-hit anything. Grandmace would still have desirable qualities in comparison - faster speed and longer reach, but without the MAA 1-hit capabilities. Poleaxe still has its amazing thrust and greater reach to make it a strong choice. Messer is still longer and faster, with greater dragging capabilities.

• Needs more reach.

• I think the dubaxe is perfectly balanced how it is right now, I don’t think it needs a buff.
    I wouldn’t be against one though

• I think the reach problems will become less of an issue when bubble reduction patch hits.

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

I think the reach problems will become less of an issue when bubble reduction patch hits.

That, and it’s not really that hard to get in range. You’re gonna be playing off of your teammates most of the time anyway, so they’ll be distracted and you can easily walk up in range. It’s got really fast combo times which helps start pressuring from farther away too.

• It’s not a junk weapon, but it’s outclassed by other comparable weapons. Want great damage? Maul may be slightly slower, but puts dubaxe damage to shame. Want decent speed plus power at the cost of range? Dubaxe is better at that than maul, but grandmace and especially poleaxe put dubaxe again to shame. These buffs would give it a competitive edge.

• Want great damage? Maul may be slightly slower, but puts dubaxe damage to shame.

It doesn’t put the damage to shame. The dubaxe one shots archers to the torso and MAA to the head (with overheads), and the super fast combo times tear knights and vanguards up (especially when you throw lookdown/delay mixups in there). Maul’s a great weapon, don’t get me wrong, I just think the dubaxe is better in team fights. The speed helps you flinch enemies, and you aren’t hard countered as easily by MAA and Vanguards.

Want decent speed plus power at the cost of range? Dubaxe is better at than than maul, but grandmace and especially poleaxe put dubaxe again to shame.

Dubaxe has the one shot potential over those other weapons, and has the combo time edge over the Gmace. Poleaxe doesn’t one shot anything, and the dubaxe just does more damage in general while being slightly slower. The thing that the poleaxe has over the dubaxe and Gmace is the stab, which brings everything to a nice balance. The grandmace only kills archers with an overhead to the head, and the fast windup/slow combo times is a detriment because you can’t dodge as easily (less time to rotate) or catch people off guard with mixups.

I wouldn’t call one better than the other, they’re all just different viable options.

These buffs would give it a competitive edge.

I agree, that’s why I wouldn’t be against a buff. I don’t think it’s needed though.

• @Sophax:

Needs more reach.

Not with these damage changes - and I actually like them more because reach shifts the Double Axe more into the “generic” direction while the proposed changes give it a unique place which is more fun.

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

I was browsing the weapon stats sheet and had a simple idea to make the double axe a more competitive choice. Right now, it’s too weak and slow to justify the very short reach. So, keep the reach and speed the same, but buff the damage very slightly to allow some interesting capabilities:

Buff overhand to 123(from 115) chop damage.
    Buff slash to 100(from 90) chop damage.

• MAA would take 98 damage from an overhand torso hit, requiring only a quick kick to finish. Same capability as a Zweihander, just much shorter and on a beefy knight platform. Same capability as a Maul, but shorter yet faster.
    • Vanguards would take 99 damage from an overhand head it, requiring only a quick kick to finish. A capability that would be unique to the dubaxe, and fun too. Maul still outclasses it with the capability to 1-hit head.
    • Knight would be killed by 2 torso slahes(50 dmg). Comparable weapons such as the Grand Mace, Poleaxe, and Messer can’t do this. Only Maul can currently.
    • Slash would now 1-hit MAA to the head(100dmg). Maul can’t do this. Messer can, and it’s longer and faster.

This would be a desirable weapon. No longer a slouch on damage to reach/speed ratio, and kick kills are fun.

It would basiclly be a shorter, faster maul, geared towards killing the medium classes(with the specialties being kick kills and taking MAA heads), whereas maul revolves around its ability to 1-hit anything. Grandmace would still have desirable qualities in comparison - faster speed and longer reach, but without the MAA 1-hit capabilities. Polehammer still has its amazing thrust and greater reach to make it a strong choice. Messer is still longer and faster, with greater dragging capabilities.

I agree^^^^

• The thing that the poleaxe has over the dubaxe and Gmace is the stab, which brings everything to a nice balance.

No, the Grand Mace’s stab is ~13% longer because its release is .5 as opposed to .45 and the Grand Mace OH-Stab combo has the exact same HTK against Knights and Vanguards as the Poleaxe. All the Poleaxe can do in comparison to the Grand Mace is use the stab feint-stab-OH combo feint-stab(with variations of course) combo, like the SoW is used, better than the Grand Mace can. Otherwise, the Gmace 100% outclasses the Poleaxe :/

@Evil:

Not with these damage changes - and I actually like them more because reach shifts the Double Axe more into the “generic” direction while the proposed changes give it a unique place which is more fun.

Yeah and it’ll make the dubaxe a great support weapon in comp team play.

• well the dubaxe is my main wep in chivalry im by no means an expert at chivalry tho this weapon is great it just needs more practice than people are willing to put into it.

reach buff- yes the weapon is very short ive missed MANY swings by the skin of my teeth because of its reach a small increase would be usefull but I don’t see how that would unbalance it (just my 2cents)

damage buff- this thing is fking strong destroys archers vanguards and knights with ease… if you know how to use it. your only real enemy are smart maa a 1hit kill with a slash to the head would be nice if you flank them or have a teammate distract them but overall you always want to pull out your secondary for maa when you pick the dubaxe

speed buff- this weapons speed… i don’t really think it needs anything done to it. you can drag with it you just need practice but since its still a slow weapon you need mind games to fight your enemy -fients alt slash kicks jumping OH baiting- these get past most ppl I fight very easily

Im usually the bloodthirsty idiot on my team so im usually off fighting 2 ppl by my self since most of the time my team feels like there in the way i can go 30-9 by my self on a normal day

but i would support a SMALL increase in reach damage/speed tho its fine

• Never underestimate a Double Axe stab! That move has finished off many a petty mortal!

The Double Axe also has the biggest points in Manly, so that kind of makes it OP.

• I like these changes. Right now, the Maul just generally seems to outclass the Axe, as it’s only mildly slower and can beat the shit out of everything it touches. I’ve tried using the Double Axe many times, because it looks awesome, but it’s just simply not a great weapon if you’re going for high scores. Even just giving it the ability to one-shot decapitate MaAs would make it WAY more viable.

• The Double Axe works really well in Team based situations, you can use it’s relatively quick speed and damage to steal kills risk free.

• @Mockingbirch:

I like these changes. Right now, the Maul just generally seems to outclass the Axe, as it’s only mildly slower and can beat the shit out of everything it touches. I’ve tried using the Double Axe many times, because it looks awesome, but it’s just simply not a great weapon if you’re going for high scores. Even just giving it the ability to one-shot decapitate MaAs would make it WAY more viable.

its all about how you use it I can usually stay in the top 3 and this is with GOOD ppl on my team when I use it… unless I met with a death streak caused by horrific gangbangs

• @Toll:

The Double Axe works really well in Team based situations, you can use it’s relatively quick speed and damage to steal kills risk free.

This. I’ve found it very effective in TO. 1 against 1 against a half decent player wielding a claymore, or a longsword and I’m in trouble. I feel if I feinted with it, it’d be far more effective, as deceptive drags are had to pull off with it.

• IMO knights should need a swing and an overhead to kill, though I like the idea of being able to finish opponents off with a kick.

• @wyrda78:

IMO knights should need a swing and an overhead to kill, though I like the idea of being able to finish opponents off with a kick.

the dubaxe can kill knights in 2 shots with a slash and an OH to the torso…… if that’s what you were saying

• Yeah, I just mean I don’t think the dubaxe should be able to kill knights with two body swings.