Some interesting, random thoughts I had…

• **A. New Possible Feint Dynamic
    1. What is it?

• I think it would be interesting to make it so that if you want to feint an attack you have to press feint in the first .1 second of the windup, and then after that, the windup animation would play for the rest of the windup’s length, but travel at a speed that is ~20% and ~10% slower than normal at the last quarter and half of the windup for one handed weapons and two handed weapons, respectively. This means that if yo feint a SoW stab, you would press feint in the first .1 second of the stab and then the rest of the windup would play for the remaining .5 seconds, but it would travel 10% slower at the last half of windup meaning that it won’t finish the full windup’s animation. This would make it so a player wit really good concentration, patience, and muscle memory would be able to recognize that the animation is slightly too slow and read the feint before he actually cancels the attack at the very end of his windup.

2. What would this do to FTP and CFTP?

• Here is my new proposal: keep the “cancel attack” button on the “Q” key and make the new feint(of course my suggested feints) button the “G” key. I know “G” is for voice chat but this community doesn’t even use that shit so just move it over to “H”. FTP and CFTP will work exact the same as they do now, but you the “feint” used in FTP and CFTP will then be called “cancel attack” and FTP will be CATP and CFTP will be CCATP. You also can’t attack for .5 seconds after an attack cancellation.

3. What else would need to happen?

• Remove the no-feint window because this new decelerated windup would last the entire length of the windup.

4. What are possible drawbacks to implementing this?

• It’ll just take getting used to.

5. What are possible benefits of implementing this?

• It could make all feints readable with enough concentration and skill, just like with drags.
    • It would increase the defensive feint window to be the entire windup, as has been requested.
    • Feints will look more realistic because you will slow down your windup a bit so you could pull the weapon back.

TL;DR:
    1. Make it so the only way you queue feints is by queuing them in the first .1 seconds or windup or combo time.
    2. Remove the no feint window.
    3. Make it so a feint all ways happens at the very end of windup. It should function such that the animation moves a specific percent(higher for one ganders) slower for the windup of the windup’s time left, so a player with very good recognition of animations and concentration can read feint by seeing said slight difference in speed that the windup would travel after a queued feint.
    4. Move the feint button to the “G” key and move the push to talk button to the “H” key.
    5. Make it so that the “Q” key will be referred as the “cancel attack” button; it’s functionality will be to cancel a windup of an attack, but you won’t be able to wind up another attack for .5 seconds after the cancellation, however you will be able to parry instantly after the windup’s cancellation.

**B. The Feint Breaker
    1. What is it?

• It would be an attack that would be queued by hitting Q, then an attack. It would bash the enemy with the handle/butt of the weapon, interrupt the enemy and send them into weapon recovery for whatever attack they were trying to feint. Immediately after sensing the enemy into recovery, you would to combo out of the feint breaker into whatever attack you queued when you queued the feint breaker.
    • If the enemy didn’t feint and they used the feint breaker, they would be punished by getting hit and losing 15 stamina for not using it successfully.
    • You would be able to FTP out of a feint breaker, in case you change your mind and think the enemy isn’t feinting.

2. What downsides might this possess?

• Certain slow weapons wouldn’t be able to hit some weapons that have fast recovery times.
    • Particular fast weapons would be able to hit weapons with long recoveries twice after breaking the feint, but is this really bad? I think it might be, but we can discuss it.

3. What are some beneficial potentialities of allowing this to enter the live game?

• Those slow weapons would be able to at least interrupt very fast weapons’ combo feints.
    • Punishing feints would look a lot cooler and could add to the intensity in fights.
    • It could add a small amount of skill into the game by having a new combination of buttons for which you would need to develop muscle memory. It wouldn’t add that much, but the more the better.

TL;DR:
    1. Make an attack that is queued by pressing the feint button and then a specific attack.
    2. Make it detect if the enemy feints and if they do it will bash them with the handle/butt of the weapon and send them into the recovery of whatever attack they tried to feint. After performing the feint breaker, you will windup up the attack you queued after you pressing the feint button.
    3. If you queue a feint breaker and they don’t feint, you will lose 15 stamina and be sent into the recovery of whatever attack you queued alongside the feint breaker.

• Not in this game.

• @NabsterHax:

Not in this game.

I’m not gonna give a shit about your opinion if you don’t explain your opinion, j/s

• Sounds like stuff that belong in an entirely different game. Way too many game-changing mechanics. Plus they’re completely unnecessary.

• @Flippy:

Sounds like stuff that belong in an entirely different game. Way too many game-changing mechanics. Plus they’re completely unnecessary.

Yeah, I know it’s unnecessary, but idk I think they could be cool in maybe Chiv 2 or somethin. As for the feint change, I agree. That’s a huge change, but the feint breaker on the other hand is not. The feint breaker does literally the exact same thing as attacking to punish a feint.

I know it’s unnecessary and people don’t like change, but I think it’s definitely a good idea to try and take everything into consideration. We can just try and see how the game would compare if we had these changes, as opposed to live. And they might not be entirely unnecessary, right now feints are fine. Does that mean that nothing could be done to make it better? The “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” ideology is not valid here.

• Yeah these sound kind of neat, but would make sense in a different game. I could see this kind of stuff in a game that tries to be more realistic.

• @Nohbdy111:

I’m not gonna give a shit about your opinion if you don’t explain your opinion, j/s

Well I didn’t read the post past the first suggestion of a ridiculously large and unnecessary change to a fundamental mechanic. I can’t really be bothered to read the whole post at the moment, so simply gave my opinion that it isn’t a good idea for this game which already has established mechanics that work, even if it’s not perfect.

Even if these ideas turn out to be great and work better than what we have now, the game would be so different that it would warrant a new title.

• Looks complicated

• It’s really the all most the same exact thing as live but a but different :S

• It’s an interesting idea, to be sure. It would require animation tweaking I’d imagine, which can be… finicky. If they could net that down well, I would love to test something like this out.

I think if it were implemented, having a separate key for feints and another for cancelling an attack would be essential. No time to hold the feint button down for a cancel, not when you have to CFTP against a side dodging MAA. It has to be extremely responsive.

I don’t believe a feint breaker would be needed with a change like this. If feints were made readable to a level similar to good drags (bit harder than reading them) I’d be perfectly happy with that, and this sounds like a good way to do it. Slow down the animation just a bit, to give a tell that it’s a feint. Yep. Would require testing to see how slow it would need to be.

• what the fuck is this shit

• @CRUSHED:

what the fuck is this shit

Cancer, It’s cancer.

• Can you make a TL;DR? The wall of text looks boring.

• @The:

It’s an interesting idea, to be sure. It would require animation tweaking I’d imagine, which can be… finicky. If they could net that down well, I would love to test something like this out.

Yeahhh, I’m normally not a fan of animation tweaks, unless it turns out to be a change for the better.

I think if it were implemented, having a separate key for feints and another for cancelling an attack would be essential. No time to hold the feint button down for a cancel, not when you have to CFTP against a side dodging MAA. It has to be extremely responsive.

I think you misunderstood. CFTP and FTP would be just as responsive but the act of canceling the attack and parrying would both happen you you press parry after you feint. It would be just as responsive. Canceling the attack would be holding it though because it wouldn’t be used for offensive of defensive purposes, you just want to cancel it to avoid team damage or swinging out of range. I think I did the best I could by making all of it work using the Q button, but perhaps using a different key could be a better idea.

I don’t believe a feint breaker would be needed with a change like this. If feints were made readable to a level similar to good drags (bit harder than reading them) I’d be perfectly happy with that, and this sounds like a good way to do it. Slow down the animation just a bit, to give a tell that it’s a feint. Yep. Would require testing to see how slow it would need to be.

Oh yeah, 20% and 10% were just numbers I pulled outta my ass haha. It’ll definitely require testing.

• @Xylvion:

Can you make a TL;DR? The wall of text looks boring.

Wall of text! I organized it so nicely D:

But sure, I’ll make a TL;DR in a bit

• @CRUSHED:

what the fuck is this shit

Productivity and brain storming ideas. You should try it sometime.

• Too complicated.

• In Chivalry 2, yes. Not in here though.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Too complicated.

Why is it too complicated? What could I do to accomplish the same exact thing, yet with less complexity? Do you just want a different button for FTP and CFTP, canceling an attack, and the feint breaker, or do you think it’s just overcomplicating things in general?

I don’t think it’s over complicated at all; the new feint dynamic might take a while to test and perfect it but that’s fine as long as it’s a good thing(which I think it would be), and the feint breaker is literally the exact same thing as attacking to punish a feint except it’s an actual button for it.

• These changes seem too specifically anti-feint. Though a swift handle/butt attack instead of those massive damage handle hits might be a good idea - but it should flinch as normal. Basically a punch in the face of somebody who insists to violate your personal space - just like people would do in real life.

The first idea makes feinting too much of a guesswork and takes too much control away from the attacker as you commit way to early. This might result in somewhat clunky combat. Feints are okay the way they are now: not possible in late windup and able to attack or parry after feinting