Shields need a buff

• range is kind of the holy grail in (melee) this game but with less shield knockback on block shorter weapons would be better and longer weapons (1h swords) would have more spacing options

• @wildwulfy:

Re-work shields to function exactly as parries, but with an alternative hold-block that will may give you feint-reistance / projectile cover, but will have a long as recovery so that you can’t use it effectively in combat as you would right now with hold blocks.

This but holdable block shouldn’t block melee attacks.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

This but holdable block shouldn’t block melee attacks.

wat

/10wats

• @Kreittis:

wat

/10wats

Make shield normal block work exactly like parry and make alt+RMB a holdable block only for projectiles.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Make shield normal block work exactly like parry and make alt+RMB a holdable block only for projectiles.

So holding alt should turn my heavy, metal shield into paper against even the lowliest daggers? What about that feint resistance?

Your suggestion would only nerf shields further. Take that drag resistance/feint resistance away and make it only good for blocking projectiles? Woo.

• @Dr:

Why did TB make shields weak in MW and powerful in DW? Because of Hollywood movies. If 300 had never come out people wouldn’t think of Spartans as kick ass and therefore shields would have been weak but because we have this idea in our minds of kick ass warriors with shields all of a sudden shields are good but only when Spartans use them.

There is a really good scene in an old Macbeth movie where to goes duke it out with shield v shield. The scene was only short and corny, but it did demonstrate the difference between someone who knew how to use a shield and someone who didn’t. (The scene where MacBeth kills the other person’s son)

Anyhow, I agree with what most people have said in this thread. It’s as if we have been peddling over this information over and over and over again.

PS i don’t like this ‘make block like parry’ business though.

• Here’s another little thing.

Block being dropped upon being hit. This is a small thing but fairly important. If you’re hit once and flinched, I don’t believe you should have to press the block button again to re-engage your shield. With the shield raise time, you don’t have time to do this really and usually end up getting hit over and over again, unlike a parry which is fairly responsive all the time. Just make shields automatically raise if you keep your finger on the RMB after getting hit so you don’t have to redo it constantly.

• You can just hold block for multiple blocks against 1v N.
    You can’t make any attack in 1 v N once more than 1 person is wailing on your shield though because shield drop time is too slow. IMO you have less than 25% chance to make a hit trade if you have 2 or more people ‘wailing’ on your shield.

• @giantyak:

You can just hold block for multiple blocks against 1v N.
    You can’t make any attack in 1 v N once more than 1 person is wailing on your shield though because shield drop time is too slow. IMO you have less than 25% chance to make a hit trade if you have 2 or more people ‘wailing’ on your shield.

This is why a shield bash which also blocked would be great, not OP but would allow you to create some space in a 1vN situation.

• Bucklers need the most love of all the shields.

Shield razed speed increase, shield overall block size increase, shield stamina reduction of hit to shield,
    and the flat out cosmetic look of it.

I agree with this thread fully and it should be made a high priority to TBS.

Where is the love?

• Actually the knights heater shield is far worse than the buckler has ever been IMO….at the moment i’d much rather use the old knight buckler with the flail than the heater by virtue of the fact that at least it blocks stuff…

• @giantyak:

Actually the knights heater shield is far worse than the buckler has ever been IMO….at the moment i’d much rather use the old knight buckler with the flail than the heater by virtue of the fact that at least it blocks stuff…

No joke, the heater is really weird at times. I’ve noticed my own weapons passing straight through it at times (like I stab into the shield and it hits them).

• @giantyak:

Actually the knights heater shield is far worse than the buckler has ever been IMO….at the moment i’d much rather use the old knight buckler with the flail than the heater by virtue of the fact that at least it blocks stuff…

No the heater shield is much better, the only problem is that it’s buggy and sometimes attacks go straight though it.

• It feels like the parry/blockhitbox just fails to spawn sometimes when wielding flail. Same thing happened with buckler. It just doesn’t work sometimes.

• The idea that shields can be fixed by tweaking their current mechanics is off.

What’s wrong is the feel. You see someone swinging and you point a big door of wood and steel their way and get rewarded with a situation that’s the same as having done nothing at all. The sense TB are trying to create is that of getting around the shield, which makes sense (it’d be a pretty poor mechanic if you couldn’t) but that isn’t how it feels when it happens. The blade getting around the shield makes sense, but the arm and handle too? That doesn’t.

When an attacker successfully gets around a shield that should be the end of their combo, it should collide like a block, but the defender would take damage. Such a unique effect would better communicate that yes you had your shield up in time, but no it wasn’t positioned well enough to block that attack. This feedback is what’s missing from the system.

How this would impact the game I don’t know, you’d presumably get teams charging in with shields just to shut a person down and give others a shot… but that actually sounds kind of ace, and how they should work, no?

• Another thing that hurts shields is, in fact, handle hits. For example, if a vanguard with a polearm facehugs a shield knight and swings, the handle sometimes goes straight through the shield and hits behind it, before the blade comes anywhere close. It’s difficult to account for these odd angled hits, especially against multiple people.

• Seriously though, I can’t be the only one who just wants shields to block whenever I hold RMB and not have any effect the moment I release RMB.
    They can be balanced by additional stamina drain or something rather than being clunky as hell to use.

• Let’s not reinvent the wheel here; the game has been around for over a year so big changes will have to wait until CMW 2. Really all shields need at this stage is the removal of lockout timers; shield up and down time, or at least a significant reduction in them.

Just that and perhaps the shield bash that also blocks.

• @Dr:

Let’s not reinvent the wheel here; the game has been around for over a year so big changes will have to wait until CMW 2. Really all shields need at this stage is the removal of lockout timers; shield up and down time, or at least a significant reduction in them.

Just that and perhaps the shield bash that also blocks.

Yes, I think this would be fine. Stamina might need some reduction then, lest shields actually become OP in all settings.

• Give shield a way to block that requires timing, that allows you to negate the shield recovery and go straight to Idle, ready to attack. and then make Hold-block something that you could use to hold block, but it should have a long recovery so that you will lose your initiative if you use it, and also it will be useful for range cover of course.