Your thoughts on the patch?

• Simple as that. What are your thoughts on the latest patch?

I’ll go first. I think it’s horrible for me. Or at least completely rushed.

Wouldn’t be the first time that a patch improves everyone’s experience but mine though. It’s safe to say that Chivalry is an ustable game that relies more on your overall hardware setup than just your video card. And so it’s guaranteed to run differently on each computer.
    The optimization patch for example, turned out to be great for everyone… but me. :(
    My FPS took a severe drop on maps that were otherwise playable. The fog on Argon’s Wall suddenly started impacting my framerate, and even the best of all maps, Moor, was now stuck at 20FPS. (60 being the usual for me)

Could be the same thing with this patch. I’ve already said in-game to a few people how much it’s acting out on me but others seem to disagree. So I’ll start:

• Did you fix Man at Arms dodging out of recovery? If so, you people DO realize that just preventing dodges 50% of the time is not the way to fix that, right?
      I’m not kidding. Half the time I press Q(my re-binded dodge button) my character just stands there. And then he lies there… dead. Considering you’re such a mushy class it’s… inconvenient to say the least.

• The new animations aren’t performed by knights but by robots. The problem though is that I tried them out in the beta against a few bots and they worked fine. A bit rough, but at least they worked.
      If I try them against bots now, they’re still fine. But as soon as I actually start fighting real players the animations start stuttering like crazy. It’s as if the client is constantly revalidating the animation frames with the server.
      Especially combos are now impossible to aim.

• My ping goes up by a noticeable amount as soon as I enter combat. It’s a very old but rare bug, but it has never happened to me until now. I’ve turned every graphical setting to it’s lowest but it’s still happening.
      No active services in the background, nobody using the same connection, nothing. I’ve already fixed all this stuff before when I had some different connection-related issues but now this? Another thing I need to fix in order to make the game actually playable. Great.

So what’s your thoughts on this patch? I personally hate it, but like I said, the problems I’m having with the update are probably only experienced by me.
    The new animations I really dislike, though. They wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t constantly stutter but then the old animations STILL never seemed that desperate for a fix. Why fix something that isn’t broken. I was fine with the old animations and I find it very hard to believe that with all the bugs, lack of TO maps and balance threads on this forum, people voted for new animations as a must-have for the upcoming patches.

• I’m enjoying it so far, but I can’t blame you if you’re not enjoying it if you’re having those issues. I still think the bubble needs to be reduced a bit more. I still get people who turn their back to me and sprint away with their head to the ground. I can’t hit them in the butt because I’m just barely out of range. The new camera…is okay? People claim to be having a lot of problems parrying but the only weapon I’ve really had trouble with are Halberd stab drags, but after a bit of practice I could parry them just fine. The naturally higher FOV it gives will be good for pubbers though. Can’t believe there are some people who actually play at 90 FOV.

For the animations…I like them for the most part. The new one-handed ones look really sharp, the polearm/poleaxe ones are quite nice. It seems like the 2-handed sword animations are the most controversial right now. Tbh they’re not an improvement by any stretch, but they’re not game-breaking either. It’ll take some getting used to, but I think people just need to play with them for another week or so.

• My thoughts are,

I haven’t experienced any bugs, I like the changes to the FoV and the new animations are quite nice.

• Patch is very nice in general but I would have liked some more animation polish. I would even say the bubble reduction was not enough and would like to test a complete removal (bubble reduction to 0%). Short weapons are much more viable and handle hits - while appearing more frequently - are easier to deal with (as regular attacks can attack faster). Footwork works much better now.

On the negative side the colors got messed up (emblems cannot be black anymore but clothing can - sometimes at least, and the medium grey we got instead has different shades too), some issues still got ignored (e.g. Pavises blowing up) and most importantly: The change to recovery times ends up as a stealth buff for weapons that did not need one (Zweihänder*, Poleaxe, Grandmace, Maul). And why? Because people cried about flinch times not realizing that hitting somebody does not mean you can just combo and facehug
    without having to think about possible consequences.

Not saying I want it reverted though: lets stick with it and see how it turns out.

*Barely affected.

• Max recovery time got lowered because you could not single strike with certain weapons and be able to parry any attack after hitting someone

There was times where you were locked out so long he could get a free hit after you hit him with single strike, it was broken.

0.9 recovery is still HUGE and doesnt change anything in the viability of those weapons.

• Well balance wise I can agree to this being a great patch. Bubble reduction, flinch times required some tinkering… it’s great now.
    Doesn’t change the fact though, that the patch is very far from “smooth”. Torn Banner rushed this patch if you ask me, but as far as the animations stuttering… that should only be me.

• Mostly great though the animations for the Vanguard and Knight primary swords look awfully stiff and easily worse than before. Same for the buckler. The old alternate slash and overhead animations for the single-hand weapons I prefer over the new ones. The battlecry animations are really awkward now too. This is speaking aesthetically though, they all function just fine and are easy to get used to but the previous animations I feel were more fluid and realistic.

• 1Handers still have way too good combo interruption and lotto is too beneficial.

Please raise the flinch time to 0.9 in 2H v 2H, and to 1.0 when a 2H player hits a 1H player.

• I think this is a great patch. I love the way the game feels now. The bubble and camera changes are excellent. I don’t find major faults with the new animations, but I’m not a stickler for these things.

The game feels tremendously better than it did just a few months ago. Thank you, TBS, for all your hard work. ^__^

• This is easily the worst patch this game has ever had. The new camera angle wasn’t needed and the animations look clunky at best. I literally CAN’T play melee classes anymore like this and adjusting the FOV back to how I used to have it didn’t help things in the slightest. Also some other things I’ve noticed are ghost swings are happening much more frequently and there seems to be no flinch anymore whatsoever.

• You’re not alone on this its a constant for me since patch, please help T_T unplayable conditions so far.

• My ping goes up by a noticeable amount as soon as I enter combat. It’s a very old but rare bug, but it has never happened to me until now. I’ve turned every graphical setting to it’s lowest but it’s still happening.
      No active services in the background, nobody using the same connection, nothing. I’ve already fixed all this stuff before when I had some different connection-related issues but now this? Another thing I need to fix in order to make the game actually playable. Great.

You’re not alone on this, its been a constant for me since patch T_T unplayable conditions so far.

• very pleased so far it didn’t break any custom maps or any mods on my server, I think that’s a blessing.
    thank you torn banner

I only dislike the loading screen as I think it looks consolish, and the archers overhand animation with thrusting dagger is elbowless now, looks kinda weird and it was fine before, now it just looks like a long slow arm with no elbow.

also don’t like the added weapon switch time from ranged to mele for archers,
    thanks to the whiners we now have to mod that back to sumthing fast again,
    cant wait till every 1 can instant wep switch, maybe multiple weapon combos will be possible,
    only time can tell but dam that would be some epic combat.

• @Rickvs:

This, but for every fight for me, unplayable

• Good work on the patch.

I still think the bubble could be reduced on the back of the model, sometimes it’s very hard to get close enough to someone even from behind with a short weapon. It feels like catch up moves you forward but then they kind of bounce of your bubble before the weapon collides unless you lean forward to make it connect.

• I would like to see all classes with a slight HP boost simply to remove all 1 shot possibilities and extend time in combat just a bit.

• @dudeface:

I think this is a great patch. I love the way the game feels now. The bubble and camera changes are excellent. I don’t find major faults with the new animations, but I’m not a stickler for these things.

The game feels tremendously better than it did just a few months ago. Thank you, TBS, for all your hard work. ^__^

What this guy said +1.

Well, most of what this guy said. I dont really like the new animations much, though im not particularly upset with them - and im indifferent to the camera changes, but I like the way the game feels at the moment and I think TB have done a pretty good job overall here.

;) GJ