So what's up with this?

• This has been bothering me for quite some time.

When fighting enemies, the turnspeedcap will sometimes lock itself at a very low velocity.
    It mainly seems to happen when turning from one way to another, but only when enemies are close to you.
    At first, I thought this was a bug, or something wrong with my mouse (or maybe even something wrong with me). But apparently this is a feature of the game, some fellows in the chat explained to me. Allegedly, the game automatically “locks on” on enemies and alters your swing manipulation capabilities accordingly.

I guess this was put into the game in order to lessen deceptive strikes, but I find this “feature” extremely infuriating.
    Thoughts?

• Never ever heard of that. There’s the regular turnspeed cap and that’s it. Unless these guys have personal connections with the devs, I’m pretty sure they were just pulling stuff outta their ass to sound smart.

• @Flippy:

There’s the regular turnspeed cap and that’s it.

Not ime, though.

• I was plain theorycrafting on the on the chat back there, but i think the problem really is that you try to track your opponent after the ‘‘optimal dragging phase’’ has passed. Like u used for example people who zigzag up close and that u start dragging your oh one way and can’t track them anymore when they zigzag. They just buy themselves enough time that you pass your optimal dragging window.
    Can’t figure out any other explanations.

• I’ve experienced OP’s issue before. I assumed that it was just me, that was the easiest conclusion. It still happens here or there and i wonder why i wasn’t able to get my attack to go where i wanted. Except for me i’m still dragging in the same direction - not switching back…

• drags so much better with no bubb

• If you’re trying to drag one way, then the other, you’re effectively accelerating your weapon a LOT more than you are just dragging in one direction, and the negative acceleration kicks in hard. It’s always been virtually impossible to change the direction of a drag, and I haven’t noticed a difference at all.

• I’ve gotten something similar to this a few times, particularly on 1H stab drags that just lock up and refuse to curve. Not sure if its the same issue, but its pretty annoying.

• Seriously, how do people here not recognize this as a serious issue?
    It’s one of my absolutely least favorite aspects of the entire game. The third change of turn direction when attacking will always induce a turncap half the regular, and another change of direction will render you nearly unable to turn at all. In addition, seeing as minimal mouse movements in the beginning of an attack can induce this bs limit, it’s a horrible thing to have.

Humbly yours, Barken

• If you hold sprint the turncap will be lower, just saying.

• Yeah it’s not really a turn speed cap but negative mouse acceleration. So speeds very depending on where you move, and how fast you move your mouse.

• Seriously, how do people here not recognize this as a serious issue?
    It’s one of my absolutely least favorite aspects of the entire game. The third change of turn direction when attacking will always induce a turncap half the regular, and another change of direction will render you nearly unable to turn at all.

Ha, if you remove it then good luck with parrying stabs with weapons like the longsword. It is already somewhat effective to stab to a person’s left, then right, then touch them with the end of the stab coming in from the left. If the system was removed, you could buff that attack considerably so you never know which side the stabs going to hit. It would be a total spam fest.

• 720 LMBs all day long.

• never heard or your problem OP.

I have had an annoying issue at times when neither an attack or a parry would register and i turn really fast and lose my opponent.

#clayproblems.

• Never heard of you problem either, but it sounds like it might have to do with mouse acceleration. Make sure to disable “mouse smoothing” in the menu. And disable “enhance pointer precision” in the mouse options of your control panel as well, for good measure. This should make mouse-movement consistent.
    I have not experienced a lock-on in this game, but I’m pretty daft, so I might have just been oblivious to it. But some games activate a slight lockon if you play with controller and since Chivalry has controller support it might do that too. I’m not sure though. If you have a controller plugged in while playing try unplugging it. Perhaps that solves your issue.

• I found that this has nothing to do with some automatic enemy lock-on as I originally thought.
    You can easily cause this to happen at any time by choosing a weapon with long release times, and turn left, right, left during the release. The second time you turn, the turncap is set lower and the more times you turn the slower it gets.
    Mouse is raw input only, this whole deal seems like a feature of the game.

• I have experienced it using poleaxe and sometimes i can drag my overheads and stabs sideways, sometimes i can literally move the active attack only by a few degrees. This bug is kind of random, but it happens enough to be noticable.

• Alright I just tested this out. It seems that you can drag your attack freely until the apex of your attack. At this point your drags are mainly restricted to the plane which your weapon was travelling in before the apex was reached. With the brandi I was able to drag the overhead left and right a total of nine times across a horizontal plane by repeating the motion through the entire swing, the results were similar when I dragged it through a vertical plane. Additionally before the apex of the over head was reached I was able to freely move between vertical and horizontal plane drags. However when I dragged across the horizontal plane four times and attempted a vertical drag after the apex of the strike was reached my weapon was barely able to move along the vertical plane, similar results occurred when I tried to transition from pre-apex vertical drags to post-apex horizontal drags. So you can still drag after the apex, but dragging it in a different direction only results in an inch or two of drag at best.

• @B4RK:

This has been bothering me for quite some time.

When fighting enemies, the turnspeedcap will sometimes lock itself at a very low velocity.
    It mainly seems to happen when turning from one way to another, but only when enemies are close to you.
    At first, I thought this was a bug, or something wrong with my mouse (or maybe even something wrong with me). But apparently this is a feature of the game, some fellows in the chat explained to me. Allegedly, the game automatically “locks on” on enemies and alters your swing manipulation capabilities accordingly.

I guess this was put into the game in order to lessen deceptive strikes, but I find this “feature” extremely infuriating.
    Thoughts?

Do you have a very high dpi on your mouse? The more you switch your direction back & forth during release the more it lowers your turn rate.

This means that high dpi in combination with mouse jitter or unsteady hands will make this trigger and its annoying as fuck. My recommendation is lowering your mouse dpi and raise your ingame sensitivity to keep your sensitivity but maintain more stable mouse movements during turn rate locks so you don’t switch drag direction back & forth by mistake.

So there’s no lock on, it’s just this. That I know of. Hope it clears it up for you.

• @kywild:

Do you have a very high dpi on your mouse? The more you switch your direction back & forth during release the more it lowers your turn rate.

This means that high dpi in combination with mouse jitter or unsteady hands will make this trigger and its annoying as fuck. My recommendation is lowering your mouse dpi and raise your ingame sensitivity to keep your sensitivity but maintain more stable mouse movements during turn rate locks so you don’t switch drag direction back & forth by mistake.

So there’s no lock on, it’s just this. That I know of. Hope it clears it up for you.

Yeah, this would probably be the best way to reduce the occurrence of unwarranted triggers. Thanks for the tip.