How to balance 1st person shield view against 3rd person view

• How to balance 1st person shield view against 3rd person view:

The issue of the difference between 1st person and 3rd person view on holding the shield in the ‘block’ position could be solved quite easily.

The solution:
    When in 3rd person view and you bring your shield up into the block position your 3rd person view camera drops down behind the player until an equivalent line of sight is made. (but only whilst the shield is held up in the block position)

If you draw a line from the 3rd person camera through a particular point on the shield (when its in block position) the 3rd person camera will always stay in the perfect position to represent an equivalent line of sight to the 1st person view.

This is an easy fix TBS DoIITTTTTT :O

• Easy fix is: disable ezmode 3rd person on your server.

• Also add “fog of war” to areas you should not be able to see (sides, behind you, around corners etc.) so you basically only see enemies you would also see in first person.

• that’s lame leave 3rd person as it is.

enough nerfs already, the views def do not need to be nerfed,
    lol fog of war get that shit outa here.

• Gross, 3rd person.

People actually enjoyed getting stabbed around all the time?

• With the smaller bubble, it’s impossible to parry the facehug lookdown-OH or even the jump stab in 3rd person. Poor ball lickers.

• Don’t mess with it. Let people play in whatever view they want, sadly this even includes those that play in 140fov.

• 3rd person…… cuz a 1st person medieval combat game is doing it wrong

• @Tombstone:

3rd person…… cuz a 1st person medieval combat game is doing it wrong

Wrong.

You’re wrong.

• I can’t admit that i understand all the posts here….Nevertheless, this idea isn’t about changing peoples preference of 1st person or 3rd person, but more a way of making the visibility reduction of shields (in the block position) more uniform across the board.

I dare say that 3rd person view will still have an advantage of being able to see about the sides of the player if they’re being flanked, but i just thin that this is a smart way of evening things up a bit.

I edited the OP to make it more clear that this mechanic would only be for when the shield is held up in the block position, otherwise its ‘business as usual’.

• So I typed FOV 140 in console.

Holy Shit Balls! The amount you can see, the ease of dragging, the ease of parrying, the easier reading of feints. It’s total and utter bullshit, gives a pretty significant advantage over 100 or 120 even. Once you get used to the distances it is great. Too great. Bind Q to 3rd/1st person swap and you have a huge advantage. TB needs to cap it at 120 imo.

After playing it for a few maps, it really explains a few peoples playstyles. Did I mention dragging is SIGNIFICANTLY easier at 140 fov.

• @Toll:

Did I mention dragging is SIGNIFICANTLY easier at 140 fov.

I know it is, i’ve been exposed to your dragging abilities before and they’re exceptional, but its not overly relevant to this subject, nor is FoV as the proposal in this thread only affects one’s ability to see over the shield (or player in the 3rd person case), not around it.

• Sorry it wasn’t a jibe to say how 360noscope I am, i just didn’t want to start another thread about it and this seemed the best fit. It seriously offers a much greater advantage than shield vision.

IMO shield vision is far great in 1st person now with the new patch than it was pre-patch. I did use shields a lot, however with the shield raise time and the prevalence of overhead lookdown, particularly with reduced bubble they just can’t reliably block a riptose overhead lookdown in time. With FOV 140 you only have to move your mouse up like 1/2 inch or so to do a full OH lookdown, where as in FOV 110 for instance it may take 2-3 inches, which is a big difference.

• Yeah with my 1st person setup to look down overhead i have to move the mouse 4-5inches lul.
    They should just use a mathematical scheme to make all mouse movement more equivalent than what it is (between 1st person and 3rd person)

• nerfing 3rd person is a dumb idea and shouldn’t even be considered
    you guys have gotten enough cool stuff ripped out of this game cause you cant handle getting
    beat by it or couldn’t adapt to it,
    so now you think nerfing it will make you better or something, that is the dumbest concept ever

how many aspects of this game are you guys gonna try to get nerfed,
    before you feel you can play competently, common people.

I have never seen so many people whine about so many aspects of a game before,
    its like if you spent more time playing and less time whining about opness
    you would be good with everything already.

nerfing my point of view
    is just a dumb fucking idea!

• Warsaw before getting your nickers in a knot you should read the full thread first?
    This is about when you hold the shield in block position ONLY and seeing as you’re a devout archer it is irrelevant to you because you don’t perform that action.
    So you can have your juice now and sit down :snowman:

• @WARSAW:

nerfing 3rd person is a dumb idea and shouldn’t even be considered
    you guys have gotten enough cool stuff ripped out of this game cause you cant handle getting
    beat by it or couldn’t adapt to it,
    so now you think nerfing it will make you better or something, that is the dumbest concept ever

how many aspects of this game are you guys gonna try to get nerfed,
    before you feel you can play competently, common people.

I have never seen so many people whine about so many aspects of a game before,
    its like if you spent more time playing and less time whining about opness
    you would be good with everything already.

nerfing my point of view
    is just a dumb fucking idea!

Just play your mod and shutup then

• @Toll:

So I typed FOV 140 in console.

Holy Shit Balls! The amount you can see, the ease of dragging, the ease of parrying, the easier reading of feints. It’s total and utter bullshit, gives a pretty significant advantage over 100 or 120 even. Once you get used to the distances it is great. Too great. Bind Q to 3rd/1st person swap and you have a huge advantage. TB needs to cap it at 120 imo.

After playing it for a few maps, it really explains a few peoples playstyles. Did I mention dragging is SIGNIFICANTLY easier at 140 fov.

Higher FOV doesn’t give any physical advantage over other players except for the extra vision. But then you could also make the argument that the FOV should be locked at 110 because 120 give more vision. Anything a higher FOV makes easier to do is purely that person’s personal experience.

Even if the console command was disabled, you could still go into the .ini files and edit it manually. So there’s really no point.

• So does 3rd person view actually have advantages other than greater vision?
    I heard something about faster acceleration and shit.

• just people making up nonsense to try to get yet another thing nerfed probably