Perk Suggestions

• Since balance will be a major issue I thought it might be helpful to come up with some ideas of perks that would fairly noninvasive to the game play itself.

Perks for fun - Funny taunts. Cosmetic changes that are noticeable, examples of this would be medallions, perhaps more vibrant colors, maybe some sort of progressive marking design earned through achievements that allows other players to see how much progress an individual has made based on the complexity of the design. Different skins for weapons would be neat to allow for some customization. A gore perk would be cool, or title perk as well.

Perks that would have slight but not game changing impact on gameplay - Starting with additional ammo, increased health regen when not in combat, some sort of beserking mode where you do slightly more damage when below say 35% health, slightly increased swing speed, slightly faster recovery times when knocked down, take a little bit less damage when parrying an attack from a larger weapon, perks that allow you to see enemy health/ammo/weapons, increased crouch speed, slight decrease in stamina used for abilities that use stamina, faster spawn times, if its a darker map increased visibility, for projectiles they could have faster travel times maybe even extended range, 10% bonus damage when you hit from behind, some sort of mini-map or map bonus where all allies are marked/objectives are marked.

Perks that give an advantage - these are much easier to come up with, increased movement speed, more health, more armor, faster reloads etc. Just look to any major game COD, Fallout etc.

I had an idea for a drunken stupor perk that allows for passive damage mitigation at the cost of balance/vision/accuracy but now that I think about it this would make for a better game mode/tavern brawl as a bonus map.

• We have been discussing perks for a while now, and I think there are some good ideas in here.

I especially like perk ideas for things that do not give other players advantages.

• Please do not make this the medieval cod…

• I wouldn’t particularly mind it if these things make it into the game, but I have yet to hear a good reason why we would want this.

• The community wouldn’t want special cosmetic unlocks? - or even special animations to customize your character?

This is basically some of the ideas that are on the leveling thread.

We are looking hard at what sort of cosmetic unlocks we can give to players. I find it hard to believe no one would want any cosmetic customizations!

We are not wanting anything giving other players advantages other than a player using the terrain to give him an edge.
    I think most people would like the idea of giving a little uniqueness to your character in the form of titles, medals, or even special animations.

• If you don’t like the idea please let me know why. I’m very curious.
    Also if you like the idea of “perks” or customizations that do not alter game-play mechanics, let me know any ideas you may have that you want to share.

• A cosmetic kind of inventory with slots for medals, fancy colours, clan tags, etc would be fun. No reason not to include those. Have players be able to ‘inscribe’ their clan tags into their armor (A neat idea for a taunt would be a taunt where the player says “sorry” after killing an enemy, bends over the corpse, and scratches off the clan tag, while the dead player sees all this happen in killcam :P )

I would prefer it if you were careful not to make too many varied animations for people to customize their slash/overhead/stab/FacePot with, since it would become a lot for players to remember (for timely parries/blocks/counterattacks it’s nice to know how much time the attack will take before landing etc. Remembering all those animations will be hard)

• @DanielMoore:

The community wouldn’t want special cosmetic unlocks? - or even special animations to customize your character?

This is basically some of the ideas that are on the leveling thread.

We are looking hard at what sort of cosmetic unlocks we can give to players. I find it hard to believe no one would want any cosmetic customizations!

We are not wanting anything giving other players advantages other than a player using the terrain to give him an edge.
    I think most people would like the idea of giving a little uniqueness to your character in the form of titles, medals, or even special animations.

Oh, I’m perfectly fine with cosmetic perks. That just adds more incentive to play without unbalancing the game, so it’s definitely a good thing. I was referring to the OP, who suggested several perks that have an actual influence on gameplay. Even if they’re minor, I find giving players actual advantages by playing longer a silly concept. I’m sorry if you interpreted my post as a response to your post.

• It’s OK! :D

I love to hear everyone’s opinions and thoughts even if they totally disagree with me.

I also understand why you wouldn’t want to have too many attack animations dragonfury. I know all too well how the start of a swing can give you that split second of decision making. Also if we decided to add any special animations they would have the same timing and recovery as the originals so there is no advantage of one over the other.

Rest assured we will test and tweak until everything flows well and isn’t confusing. I’m really interested in everyone’s ideas for the cosmetic perks.

• Developer

I think the word perk is misleading for what we’re talking about, but definitely interested in hearing community suggestions for cosmetic unlocks.

• Oh I have plenty of those :lol: such as the aforementioned removable armor clan tag. Maybe an idea for a separate thread?

• You can post in this thread or make a new thread named something like cosmetic unlock suggestions.

Try to describe your ideas in as much detail as you can.

Look forward to hearing them!

• so your saying this
    Take for example a simple straight forward stab. Lets say the animation is just cranking your arm back and stabbing straight forward
    and say we unlock a “perk” or cosmetic unlock WHATEVER you may call it and it now does a lift of the arm and points the sword in a manner where you bring it down it would stab the man in the neck or the chest going downwards? Same timing but just something to keep the players on their toes or something?

Explain how this would work?

• Cosmetic locks or allowing custom tags on models are great, balance improvements or advantages can really make a game suck. If you have ever played Counter Strike where they mod it so that the more kills you make the more money you have to buy powers suck because those that play on those servers the longest are god like and for a noob coming into the server, rarely gets any kills and gets discouraged and quit playing. This game already has enough of a learning curve than to allow advantage perks like that, making the amount of time you play more important than any skills you acquire.