[CLOSED] Announcing - Bushido (a Samurai themed mod)

• –------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Read First!

This post is getting huge now, and the screenshots of the weapons, characters and maps are now getting so spread out its difficult to navigate! For the latest updates, please check out ModDB page by going here > http://www.moddb.com/mods/bushido-medieval-warfare.**

–------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Perhaps 'announcing ’ isn’t the right word- rather, this is a statement of intent. Myself a few friends have worked on a couple of different indie projects over the last couple of years (including a few games for Android, like Deflecticon). Being big fans of the original HL2 game, we jumped at the idea of being able to contribute to Chivalry in the form of a mod! After a bit of research, we settled on a Samurai theme which (at the time of writing) seemed to be a vacant gap in the Melee/FPS market!

So far, we’ve produced a few 3D assets and have all started playing with the UDK and getting to grips with the engine (having come from Unity as our main development platform).

The reason for the early post is that I wanted to try and get some feedback/suggestions from the community before we dive into creating any more content. Does the idea interest you at all? Do you think the Samurai theme would work as a mod? Also, we’re always interested in hearing from people who would like to contribute in some way! So if you’ve got any thoughts or perhaps fancied trying your hand at designing a new map- please leave a post below!

[EDIT 11/11/12: Check page 7 for some concept art!]

[EDIT: 17/11/12: Page 9 also has some concept work!]

[EDIT: 04/12/12: Check out page 10 for class info!]

[EDIT: 10/02/13: We’ve got new shots of the Archer + more weapons on page 23!]

[EDIT: 19/03/12: Check out page 30 for a screenshot of our first map!]

[EDIT: 28/04/12: More updates than we can count!!]

Thanks,
    Sam

• Any chance that we’ll be able to have knights vs samurai battles?

• Hah- that would be cool! I’m sure it’ll be possible :) !

• Well, there is no shortage of inspiration for this kind of mod.

But since you named it ‘Bushido’ I would ask have you heard of the PS1 game “Bushido Blade”? One of the things in that game is how any blow can be fatal, and players realistically react to injury. (Ex. Cut in the leg and your crippled, cut in the arm and you can’t block with 2handers or throw a knife. Stabbed in the chest and your dead.)

I would like to see something kind of like that, that would better the theme of Japanese sword fighting styles, which involve quick strikes and deadly precision over the more ‘power fighting’ styles I see in western sword fighting. In this idea, a single well aimed slice could kill, but sloppy attacking and ‘barely hit’ only causes cuts and grazes. I think this would also give a good chance to focus on the uniqueness of the varying Japanese weapons and how they are handled over normalizing all attacks and focusing on stat numbers.

• @Blindga:

I would like to see something kind of like that, that would better the theme of Japanese sword fighting styles, which involve quick strikes and deadly precision over the more ‘power fighting’ styles I see in western sword fighting.

Just for the record, you might want to look up longsword fighting on YouTube. You’d be surprised how much there is to European martial arts.
    ln94E9AGYTc

• @Janus3003:

Just for the record, you might want to look up longsword fighting on YouTube. You’d be surprised how much there is to European martial arts.

Very impressive video. I did not know that there is that much skill that goes into that, but the point I was trying to make is that Japanese sword fighting is very different from European sword fighting.

• Some interesting points raised here guys, I’ll certainly take it all on board! Trying to create a unique gameplay experience will probably be the biggest challenge- I really like the idea of combat being all about accuracy and timing to get a one-stroke death blow…

• @sam.ibbitson:

seemed to be a vacant gap in the Melee/FPS market!

HUGELY true unless you own a PS2 and speak Japanese.
    http://www.gamersgameplay.com/2010/12/best-samurai-games-this-generation.html
    http://www.gamersgameplay.com/2010/12/best-samurai-games-for-ps2.html

If you and your friends can successfully see this mod through I can die a happy man.

• We just need a Chivalry mod for every time period. Y’know…
    Pirates, vikings, samurais, ninjas, spartans, centurions, maybe some thing prehistoric…
    Chariots?

• I could go for Cavemen vs Dinosaurs…

• Thanks for the link King- I’ll have to look into this!

As for the other comments, a viking/knight/samurai/centurion brawl would definitely be cool!!!

• @sam.ibbitson:

Thanks for the link King- I’ll have to look into this!

As for the other comments, a viking/knight/samurai/centurion brawl would definitely be cool!!!

Haha. Don’t get ahead of yourself. Samurai/Ninja themed is just fine.

• All I need is something like this:

W6CE-qXFfr4

• I really like this idea :D ive done kendo for 13 years, it’d be nice to see the different Ryu’s in the game, if at all possible

• Haha, fantastic TF2 video!

Nyuyu- whats a Ryu?

Ultimately a massive waste of time, but I had a spare 30 minutes and cobbled this together:

What do people think?

• Again, you’re reminding me a lot of Bushido Blade.

Ultimately I kind of like this design, so I say go with it.

• @sam.ibbitson:

Haha, fantastic TF2 video!

Nyuyu- whats a Ryu?

Ultimately a massive waste of time, but I had a spare 30 minutes and cobbled this together:

What do people think?

The different sword styles :D

• @sam.ibbitson:

What do people think?

I think it looks FANTASTIC 5/5 :cheers:

• Ha, thanks King!

We’re working on some period armor at the moment and will hopefully have some screenshots to show in the next week or so. I’ve got a Samurai Kabuto modeled and have just started to produce the high poly normal map. After that its texturing and then (soon I hope) I can start posting some screenshots.

• No words to express my excitement for this. As soon as I started Chivalry, I was thinking about how awesome a game like it set in feudal Japan would be (though I think that about every game I guess).

Hope it turns out well!